Let's Talk Arkansas Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Mar 17, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Great post!

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The Surgical Black came in today! It feels really, really smooth factory finished and man it's got some weight to it. Compared to my same sized natural combo coticule, it's gotta be two to three times the weight easily. Kitchen scale is broke otherwise I would of measured. My SiC powder kit is lagged so now its just waiting on that and I'll be giving my razors a go on this stone. IMAG00013.jpg IMAG00014.jpg

Karl G, Billyfergie and Drygulch like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's a nice big looking stone. What size is it??

Karl G, Billyfergie and Zykris like this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Here's the surprise and punch line. 4 x 2 x 1/2. Didn't have a whole lot of wiggle room in the finance department and I've gotten confortable on the 4 x 2 allotment of space.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Ok, the pictures make it look larger. 4z2 should work fine. Once you get to the level where you use the SB Arkie, it doesn't take much time on the stone.

Karl G, Zykris and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I can't wait to use it. It's just the waiting game for the SiC powders to ship and get in. The waiting game. It's the bane of my existence. LOL!

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Same size as my translucent.

Billyfergie, Zykris and Karl G like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

IMAG00015.jpg SiC powders came in and I immediately went to work.
    IMAG00016.jpg Here's the 600 side finished.
    IMAG00017.jpg And here I went up to 800. I might go 1200 after giving it a test hone on my near wedge razor. It really wasn't that bad. Took about an hour and half starting with the 120 grit. I thought it would be worse but that SiC made it not bad.

Billyfergie, Karl G, twhite and 2 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Excellent news. Are you doing both sides??

Billyfergie, Karl G and Zykris like this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Both sides are lapped. One is finished to 600, the other 800. Didn't have any 1000 grit and didn't want to go to 1200 just yet.

Billyfergie, Karl G and mrchick like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You can just get a beater razor and hone the heck out of it. That will get a nice burnish going for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Billyfergie, Zykris and Karl G like this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

It's working good. Took my GD and made it sharper and smooth. My two smiling razors are giving me a pain as the middle sections are sharp. The toe and heel see giving me a hard time. Eh more practice.

13. DaltonGang

Just take it to the 1200, and spend a few extra minutes on it. It's not that big of a leap in grits.

14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Did just that. So 600/1200. Went back and worked on my rolling x stroke on those two smilers. Both feel even across the edge and sharp. Both cut paper without much pressure or a draw motion. This SB followed after the coticule seems to work nicely. Shave test tomorrow will tell more.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I do have a question. After trying soapy water first then giving food grade mineral oil a chance, I find I like oil better on the SB. After a honing session, what's a good way to clean it and maintenance?

16. DaltonGang

I just wipe the excess oil off, with a clean paper towel. That's it.

17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Now that's simple. LOL! Sometimes I think too complicated.

18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

After practicing on the SB, I find I like it very much. I'm thinking about picking up a Soft Ark and a Hard Ark. What's the experiences you guys have had with those grades?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  19. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

If you like natural stones, a soft and a hard Ark will complete your set with the black finisher. They are not "must haves", as many stone combos can fill the gap between a bevel setter and a black/translucent Ark. I have set bevels with my soft Ark, but it is slow. Now, if you can find a good vintage "Ouachita" (sometimes spelled "Washita") stone, they make very nice bevel setters, prior to hitting the soft/hard/black progression. With those four stones, unless someone wants to hone multiple razors at a time, you are set with all you need. It is very hard to get a better edge than what you can get off Arkies, but you can certainly get easier and quicker edges with other stones, both natural and synthetic.

Karl G, Zykris and Billyfergie like this.
  20. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Arkie Stones are Superb Finishing Stones..But..The Bevel & Progression has to be Bang on the Button or they Wont Work..They are So Hard that they Wont Forgive Errors..No Sir..Eee..:D

Billy..:chores016: