Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Didn't see me on the list either.

1 - v1 6s
    2 - v2 6s
    1 - T

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Corrections have been made :) Thanks, guys!

3. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Thank you tuxxdk, I have a model T on the way too.

4. tuxxdk

Edited as well! I wonder if I myself one day can add a T to the list. I'm following the situation with excitement.

Gnomeo0228 likes this.
  5. Kypros Christodoulides

It can only be a good thing, because it will shave the same without the hassle of changing plates (I believe) definitely worth having.

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

Yeah, that's my sentiment as well.

7. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

But can it be as smooth? Can *ANY* razor match the smoothness of the 6s and 6c? I don't know if the reason the 6s shaves so smoothly because of the blade support, mass/weight, or pure magic but that's the thing most important to me.

nav, Puma and Gnomeo0228 like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Angle, exposure and gap. Gap alone is often given way too much credit for being the determining factor in aggression.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I put my Merkur Futur on the shelf today. I won't be needing it anymore.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

10. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

:signs011: Blade exposure plays a huge part in how a razor shaves. Gap gets too much credit for its effect on aggression level. More gap does help with rinsing out the soap and shaved hair.

jmudrick likes this.
  11. tuxxdk

Blade exposure is, to me, one of the most important factors. The Rockwell is designed around neutral to negative exposure starting with R1 on neutral, slightly working towards a negative exposure on the "bigger" plates.

That makes for a very mild shave experience coupled with immense efficiency on the larger plates. And the other way around, a relative efficient (known to many as "aggressive") experience on the smaller plates.

12. Kypros Christodoulides

I had to put what tuxxdk said to the test. Although a shave was not due for anther couple of days, without a lot of preparation or shower before, I shaved with plate no4. I took 4 passes to get to a DFS, when plate 6 gets me to BBs in two and corrections and with more smoothness. Plate no4 felt like it could not bite and didn't no matter how much I provoked it, but I had to use pressure to get it to cut, which gave me a little irritation. To put things into perspective, under these circumstances the OneBlade would have cut me. I used a new Voskhod blade and not my usual feather or polsilver.

tuxxdk and Tdmsu like this.
  13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Rockwell has hit on a winning formula here. It is smooth as any razor, and efficient as my Futur on 6 when I use the R6 plate.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nav, tuxxdk, Gnomeo0228 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

This sounds great. My main two razors are the ATT R2 and the R41. It sounds like a Rockwell on 5 or 6 would be a great addition.

Tdmsu and Kypros Christodoulides like this.
  15. Kypros Christodoulides

I don't have the ATTR2, but the R41 is way more aggressive than the Rockwell on 6 and way less smooth. I get the same results in as many passes using the R6 and the R41, but the R6 needs less attention, is much smoother and miles more enjoyable to use.
    You will not regret adding the R6 to your den.

Tdmsu, Puma and Gnomeo0228 like this.
  16. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Thanks. Right now the ATT is getting the most use. I'll use it for five or six weeks and then give the R41 a week. I could see the Rockwell bumping the R41 and establishing itself in a rotation with the ATT.

17. Kypros Christodoulides

I shaved 12 hours ago and this morning there was a little visible stubble on my cheeks, so I thought I would test the R6 even further. Something I have to say beforehand, is that never in my life (save for my army days), did I ever shave every day as this would have resulted in irritation, cuts and roughness. This morning I used a polsilver on its last legs and the R6 on plate 6. The Semogue boar was not even dry from last night's shave and I didn't even do the usual prep, just face lathered with proraso cream and shaved. Plate no 6 is my favourite. I'm now BBs with no irritation, no cuts, no anything. This Rockwel is nothing short of magic. Believe me, there is no other razor that I have ever tried that would shave me every day without a cut or redness or the inevidable irritation. My hat's off to the Rockwell team.
    One last reflection. Was it so difficult in all these years for someone, let's say Gillette to have come up with something like the Rockwell R6? My fatboy, slim and New, although among my faves, don't even come close to this little R6 and I couldn't have accomplished this feat with any one of them, not even with my OneBlade. I'm sure there are some DE's out there that could presumably shave me every day, but I'm sure they would have to be so mild, it would take a lot of passes and pressure to accomplish the same result, albeit with irritation.
    God works in mysterious ways.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  18. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

Gillette could have come up with something but then they would lose a ton of money selling their blade cartridges.

19. tuxxdk

Kypros, I so agree. They have really designed a winner! Don't know if it's research or mostly luck it turned out so great but whatever it is I hope they're keeping their drawings :D

I'm seriously thinking about adding a second 6S and keep it unopened in the drawer - just in case I break my existing one.

20. Kypros Christodoulides

I'm also inclined to buy a second one, but I'll wait for my model T to arrive and see if shaves like the R6, but after all the T is not SS. Now you put a big dilemma before me.

Gnomeo0228, Tdmsu and tuxxdk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.