Help with Identity of some straight blades

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by deancostales, Oct 15, 2008.

1. deancostales

deancostales New Member

I came across a group of straight razors in the garage and need some help with establishing the story line and values behind the blades. If you can help please do.. Marked Curley, IXL Wostenholm and also Bancroft. I have about 8 in total.. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Whoa, that first looks scary! :eek:

Is that just some sort of blade guard on it, or what?

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Again, nothing to write home about. Maybe they'll fetch a few dollars on the bay' or from somebody here whos looking to do a rescale job and wants some blades to work with. Both the str8s seem to have a good amount of hone wear on them.

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

The first is a Curley guarded straight with a removable blade. Opening the lever in the shank allows one to flip the guard over to the other side. It can also be removed. I have two models of this razor. One has screws in the mounts for the guard for adjusting exposure. The other, perhaps earlier model, lacks this feature. My blades are in bad shape so I haven't shaved with it. I don't know if they can be rehabilitated. I DO know I'm not qualified (at this point). :rolleyes:

Interesting, but I don't think they are very valuable.

5. Queen of Blades

Very cool! Thanks for the info, tjgriffin!

@Dean, may I call you Dean? :D I recognize the name Wostenholm. That's a name that comes up fairly often.

Hopefully some straight razor experts will chime in here.

6. deancostales

deancostales New Member

Hello again..

Of course you can call.... I have six straight blades in all. The Curley as pictured, One George Wostenholm as Pictured, one Bancroft as pictured and also a Durham Demonstrator, a W. W. Woodruff Lion Razor and a H. Boker & Co razor. If anyone can help with establishing a value or any information on these blades would be great. Thanks again to the Shave Den members..

Dean

7. Queen of Blades

:happy102

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The H. Boker would fetch the most out of the batch. The wostenholm probably in the second. You may fetch 10-20$ for the boker if the blade is in good condition. Slightly more if the scales are in great condition. If the razor is unused you'd fetch a decent price. Most people buying str8s would rescale the razors as they usually came with plastic scales that dont hold up well over time.

Currently good conditions with razors with nice deep etchings are fetching 50$, as well as new in box perfect condition bokers.

9. riffin

riffin Active Member

I think I paid $15 for one Curley and $20 the other. There is one completed sale on EBay for one with an extra blades and a double box (no top) that went for $8.50. There are tow others, one with an opening bid $50 and a BIN for $60. Sounds a little steep to me, but the $50 one looks to be in good shape.

I have to look at mine again. I think I may have made a minor error about the adjustment.

10. Don

Don New Member

hate to say it but unless you can to the regrind and scaling yourself he is right. The first one if it cleans up nice might be worth something to a collector of those.

11. bg42

bg42 New Member

I have two of the Curley razors ,they are both excellent shavers, I`m sorry to say the value of all three isn`t very much ,but they are all interesting and great to practice with
    Kind regards Peter