Why do you shave.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Redrooster, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Shaving, and in particular open blades, provide a daily episode of calm focus, and just makes me feel better about the world. I also shave because I like AS almost as much as shaving.

2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

For me it's two things.
    1. It's the image I'm going for a working professional and a gentleman. I dress well at work take care of my shoes have several watches. The clean shave just finishes the look.
    2. I love the experience it's kind of my time to hone in and get focused for the day. It'sy thing and I take my time shower 3 pass shave aftershave do my hair and get dressed. That hour in the morning is like a bit of Zen before facing the day.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have to shave because of work.
    I choose to shave this way because:
    a) I shaved with cartridges for almost 30 years
    b) see above
    c) the time I spend shaving is one of the most enjoyable parts of my day
    d) this is fast becoming an incredibly rewarding hobby and community

4. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

Funny how that works. Purchased a 6 pack of beer recently, offering my driver's license and my credit card to the cashier.

(As if someone would mistake me for being underage with a headfull of white hair...)

The cashier stared at my driver's license for an uncomfortably long time. I thought my name was throwing him off since people often find "Rip" an unusual first name. But when I asked what was wrong the cashier said,

"You look younger than the picture on the ID."

(Wow.)

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

It is; it's not even short for much of anything that I can come up with. So, I really hope your last name doesn't include 'Winkle'. If so, your parents need to be taught a lesson. (or they thought you'd get tough, like Johnny Cash in "A Boy Named Sue")

Shave time in the morning. Two days is getting irritating, I just don't want to shave right this minute.

6. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

Not Winkle... Washington.

I used to have a funny little story explaining why my parents named me Rip.

It really aint that funny.

Totally convinced my father was drunk.

Or high.

In any case, I sometimes skip a Saturday or Sunday 'cause it annoys my wife that I'll awaken at 3am to shave on a day off.

Then sometimes I'll skip one of those days for no reason at all.

I find that the consequence of skipping a day's shave is me thinking about not having shaved...

...all damn day long.

And it itches.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My dad would cringe at me not shaving every day. And when I skipped a day in my first job, I got friendly but clearly corrected by my boss.

Life lessons.

Bookworm, Shaver X and Keithmax like this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Same here, which is why I have always shaved every day.

Do hipsters still exist? I thought that was totally passe now, and that they had moved in to being pine cone sexuals or lumber sexuals or whatever the urban lumberjack thing is called.

AGHisBBS and dbersh like this.
  9. Bookworm

Well, I recall it being called "Grunge".

10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

An excellent reason! :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The job requires it,
    and so does the wife.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like the way my skin feels when it's nice & smooth.

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If I don't shave, I start looking like my avatar and that's way too itchy. :D

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Although my employer requires a clean shaven face for PPE purposes, I'd shave daily anyway. I prefer being clean shaven. Nowadays it's as if I'm the trendsetter with all of the "lumberjacks" around.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Around here yes, and of course the "man bun" on top, shaved on sides and beards can still to be found. Here in Michigan we are slow to the changing trends at times (in certain areas of the state).

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

If you are a slow to change hipster are you still hip?

17. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Hip and hipster 2 different things.....:D

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. Bookworm

Right. Hipsters are those pants that you can't pull up properly. My wife complains constantly about them, and not being able to get real pants.

dbersh, Linuxguile and AGHisBBS like this.
  19. Houdini5150

Houdini5150 Member

I shave for work and to be somewhat clean... If I could grow more facial hair that wasnt patchy Id grow more hair.

Sometimes I shave more often bc I feel it relaxes me.