What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Just starting a book given to me by my youngest, "Pickett's Charge In History & Memory", by Carol Reardon, professor of Military History at Pennsylvania State University.
    My son calls it the best book written about the Charge.
    And since he's studying at Gettysburg College, in the Civil War Studies Department and is a member of the Civil War Institute, I think I'll give his review some weight :)

BamaT and PLAla like this.
  2. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BamaT likes this.
  3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1410.JPG
    First book I've read by John Sandford. Started a bit slow, but gets much better. This book is more than a little gruesome, so if you're inclined to crime/mystery novels, be forewarned on this one.

Bobcat likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

A monograph I picked up when we went to see my son at Stratford Hall in Virginia. "Birthplace of the Nation: A Story Worth Telling, Leedstown, Westmoreland and the Northern Neck" by Carl F. Flemer Jr. and Jenni Brockman.
    Three of our first five Presidents were born on the Northern Neck of Virginia(Washington, Monroe & Madison). Also John Marshall, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. It was a very interesting read.

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I had to shelve "The Man Who Would Not Be Washington" by Jonathan Horn. I tried it but just couldn't get into it at all. Now I'm about 200 pages into "Grant Moves South" by Bruce Catton. Terrific book so far.

7. RetLEO-07

You might want to try Michael Korda's "The Life and Legend of Robert E Lee". Very readable.

PLAla likes this.
  8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just started "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne. It is a complete history of the Comanche Nation. Excellent so far..........

BamaT, hamoncan, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  9. PLAla

I'm close to finishing "Grant Moves South" by Bruce Catton. I'll finish it today or tomorrow.

I brought some choices along on this trip to follow the Catton. I have "Rogue Republic" and "Duel of the First Ironclads" both by William C. Davis, and "Henry Adams and the Making of America" by Garry Wills. Don't know which one I'll choose! I really like both of those authors and have really enjoyed "Grant Moves South".

BamaT and Bobcat like this.
  10. David W650

David W650 Active Member

THE SECOND WORLD WAR by Antony Beevor

I sore I'd wouldn't read another book about WWII again.

But after watching interviews with the author on YouTube I picked up this book from the local library.

Glad I did!

Damn this historian can write.

BamaT, Bobcat and PLAla like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

You should read "Stalingrad".

BamaT likes this.
  12. David W650

David W650 Active Member

I will.
    Thanks

13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Slowly and with effort reading Fatale Zonden ("Deadly Sins" in Dutch). And Silence (the book) by Endo (in English).

I've temporarily put on hold Het Achterhuis ("The Annex" (loosely translated) in Dutch. AKA: The Diary of Ann Frank).

Bobcat likes this.
  14. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Finished the Zelazny Amber series (fourth time, I think) - now picking up with 3rd book in The Destroyer series by Rex Murphy. Nice cheesy 70's action series that embraces it's cheesiness. Nice easy summer reading ;) 7ea25833ff179337f9615ae05883df7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

15. PLAla

I chose The Rogue Republic by William C. Davis but had to shelve it. Wasn't that interesting. Then I went by my favorite used book store while in Mobile, Alabama and picked up a dozen books. Now I'm starting The Imperial Cruise by James Bradley.

16. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Good on ya - I should try that some time, I grew up with Dutch speaking parents, although I did not at all embrace the language as a kid. Picked it up some without trying though but now wish I'd embraced it more.

BamaT likes this.
  17. richgem

Thanks for the encouragement. I have no Dutch background at all. but, I decided I was going to teach myself starting a little over year ago. I haven't done much speaking or composing, but my reading is coming along nicely.

18. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

You picked a pretty obscure language then - the Dutch barely even "sprake Nederlands" anymore.

19. richgem

It's kind of a long story... I have a Canadian friend who's parents are Dutch and raised him bilingual. I took a couple years of German back in the old days of High School and have always has "a thing" for languages altho the only foreign one that I'm even passable at is Italian.

So then @RyX posted this thread (nsfw and possibly offensive depending how much Dutch you understand)
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/lost-in-translation.50871/
    En de rest is geschiedenis.... with help from my friend, duolingo, and a couple books

And lots of credit to @macaronus for his help too!

And it turns out that we have a couple Dutch members here and they're even willing to put up with my horrible attempts at communication.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    hamoncan and RyX like this.
  20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Ha Ha! I had forgotten about that video!

RyX likes this.