French soap selection help

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Jun 17, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Hello forum
    I've decided I want to try a hard French soap MdC is out because I just can't drop the money on it so I have it narrowed down to 2 Pre de Provence 63 and Loccitane Cade.
    Which one would you guys recommend and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mark B

Mark B New Member

I haven't used either soap, but both area on my list of ones to try.

I have used L'Occitane's Cade post shave balm and I really like it. Nice not too overpowering scent, and it helps my sensitive neck to recover.

I'll follow this post and see what till folks say.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LevelupShaves likes this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've only used regular PdP, but if you like hard soaps, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, especially for the price. It's a great value.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  4. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

L'Occitane Cade is a wonderful soap but it's too drying to my skin. Otherwise I'd probably still be using it.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Pre de Provence 63 is great soap. And I tell you what: If you buy a puck of that soap and use it in rotation with others? It will last you the rest of your life. That is some super milled stuff.

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I find both to be nice. I would give them equal billing. It's a shame that more people can't get Mdc. The initial price is high, but you use so little of it and it lathers so huge that it just lasts forever. I calculated the per shave price to be extremely low actually.

If you ever did want to try mdc, I donated a sizable sample to the soap pass around box...maybe there is still some there?

Also, you can find samples on eBay sometimes. I really thinkit would be worth it

Yehuda D likes this.
  7. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I have and like Le Pere Lucien.

8. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Had I not declared a sabbatical on shaving stuff and if I had a somewhat bigger budget I'd probably buy a LPL soap. Not Martin de Candre but very possibly LPL.

9. LevelupShaves

So far that's one vote Cade and two votes (kind of) PdP and some stuff that's not really an option right now anymore votes between PdP 63 and Cade?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

theFAT98 likes this.
  10. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Both are great. Both have mild scents. I perfer PDP.

And imo i think both are better than mdc. Yep i said it.....

Ill add on to this post. PDP will last you years. It is a super hard soap but creates amazing lather. I currently have 100 soaps and have used probably 150 to 200. Traded and got rid of alot. MDC is one i got rid of. I believe its over hyped because its a high end product. I found it incredibly drying and think there are better soaps for far less money.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Monsavon Bol A Rasor is a wonderful French soap. It is on the soft side, loaded with lavender scent, plenty of glide and cushion too.

It is dirt cheap in France, getting it shipped to the US is a different story.

theFAT98 likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

L'Occitane Cade is a very nice shaving soap. About $11 for just the puck; you can pay more if you want the fancy metal cade container.
    [​IMG]

13. LevelupShaves

Thank you I think that takes us to 2 Cade 3 PdP

14. LevelupShaves

Alright PdP is ordered and in the way thanks for the suggestions

theFAT98 likes this.
  15. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

Lots of fancy stuff here ... but if you haven't tried it yet, I recommend the low cost "Bol a Rasér". It gives me consistently great shaves - and I love the lavender scent.
    Last time I stocked up it was around 1 EUR.

16. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

And NOW I notice that it has already been mentioned ... Sorry, guys.