June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Frank!

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very through soap review, thank you for sharing!

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Synthetic, boar, and badger all do the job. One day I'll try a horse just to have the experience. I will give props to the latest generation synthetic knot manufactures - they work, dry faster than organics, and cost less than high end brushes. Some folks feel better driving a new Cadillac, I'm a used Ford pickup kind of guy. YOMV ;)
    To the shavette, if it's a clone or knock-off, it's a good one. Simple with no extra moving parts. It does what it was designed to do and it does it well. I'm still curious about the Parker SRX, but in no AD panic to buy one!

Drygulch, Screwtape, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you! It's been a long couple of days, and this just gave me laughter material for a while. I know what you meant :)

5. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

m9.jpg

Mongoose B3/ Feather Super Pro (29)
    Stirling 24mm Finest 2 Band
    Glacial MITA
    Thayers
    Arctique

Great frigid shave today on this hot day. Starting to have a little more free time so I hope to be back here as a regular very soon!

Drygulch, Screwtape, RyX and 11 others like this.
  6. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Target sells a "Vie-Long" horse brush. If I remember right it was $21.95. 20170620_171914~2.jpg

Sent from my phone using some app

7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

That's what I want to hear, my brother! ;)

Drygulch, RyX, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That is a fine looking watch and the story behind it is even better.

Welcome back

Drygulch, RyX, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

June 20, 2017

Razor: F2 Gillette 195 Adjustable (4)
    Blade: Treet Platinum (2)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

Same setup as yesterday, same great result.

10. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

OK, in the next week or so, I'm gonna make a trial run at the dark side. I've got the Dovo I shaved with for one pass, and I've got the razor @Drygulch sent me. Also have a poor mans strop from @RyX. Any advice on what to start with and how to strop (I have no clue) would be appreciated. I've tried to look this stuff up with little or no success. YouTube is my next stop, but a lot of those guys are idiots.

Drygulch, Screwtape, RyX and 7 others like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Randy, here's a video that might be helpful. I look forward to following your progress with straights.

Drygulch, Screwtape, RyX and 5 others like this.
  12. Bookworm

Really? Nothing online about stropping? Huh. I won't try to explain anything, as I haven't stropped _razors_ - just other sharp pointy things, and I'm sure it's a bit different. Okay - one thing. Stropping is a pull, and honing is a push :) (I'm sure you figured that one out)

For me, I shaved yesterday morning, it's been quite a week. 40's SuperSpeed with a LORD blade, and VDH with a boar brush. Bubbly but slick lather, one pass DFS (shortish strokes due to too long of hair). Second pass just to make things look really squeaky. No itchy or burning.

Drygulch, Screwtape, RyX and 6 others like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I used Palmolive Men's shave cream yesterday and today for the first time. JR # 160 whipped it up into a nice, slick lather. My New SC was loaded with a Feather blade on it's third shave yesterday and a new Astra blade today. I performed my usual two passes and experienced some unusual (for me) irritation on both days. I'm trying to rule out whether it is due to my technique or an ingredient in the shave cream. To that end, I'll try a different shave soap or cream and try to hold everything else constant tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced irritation from using Palmolive Men's shave cream or soap?

14. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Drag the blade down the strop, spin first. Turn/flip on razor spin. Then pull back to you.
    When I first learned I went to YouTube. The Superior Shave has one on there that I watched. Take your time. Always turn on the spin. Speed will increase with practice. Good luck. Have fun. I hope this is what you were asking.

Sent from my phone using some app

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Looking forward to the blo.....errrr the reports on the shaves. I decided against getting a strop and backing up to the lighter dark side. I am going to stick with my shavettes.

So I felt like I needed a challenge today. Out pops the Marvy's soap. Hustled it with a big ole boar brush and a Schick G. It did it's job even with ugly lather. Very nice shave all around. Finished up with some family dollar smells kinda like old spiceish stuff.

tmp_23127-20170620_144310-668473203.jpg

On the synthetic brush thingie... I started a poll across the street..synthetic is way ahead. If you can not make something work don't blame the equipment.

16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Thanks Charlie and @GarnerPW. That's exactly what I needed. Plenty of info out there @Bookworm, but when you have no experience at something, it's hard to discriminate between info from goofballs and from guys who know what they are doing. I've tended to notice that on the Internet goofballs significantly outnumber experts. Not here, as according to @mrchick up to 60% of 30DC are mentally stable. I'm still working on figuring out which ones, though.:happy068:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You tube even lets rednecks post videos..wooooo

Drygulch, RyX, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  18. Bookworm

That's because goofballs have more time to spend, camera in hand. Experts are working to make a living.

The only thing that I've read that makes good sense, that too many people I see online _don't_ do, is pull the razor back, flip on the spine, then push the razor - keeping the spine against the leather at all times. I keep seeing people trying to do the old 'movie barber strop', where they slap the blade back and forth repeatedly on a curved strop. To me, that would tend to 1) beat the edge up, and 2) curve the edge back and forth, as if you wanted to break it off (like folding a wire back and forth)

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Stropping like they do in the old movies will end up with a rolled edge and a horrible shave.

Drygulch, RyX, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Stropping well is harder than shaving to learn. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.