June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am going to do this same focus for a little while, but I believe you are correct.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

If you think you rolled the edge stropping, getting it refreshed could help. The other piece of advice I picked up when learning straights was to hold the razor firmly. I took extra care to use no pressure, and I found this caused me to hold the razor with a loose grip. When I firmed up my grip, the razor cut much better. I am not saying a death grip by any stretch, but a firm grip to keep the blade under control.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, Fup and 8 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

:signs011:

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Happy anniversary from soggy Baton Rouge.

We put Tobascco on everything down here...even icecream.

BULLY!!!!!!

You should try them with Williams. Two products they say don't work

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

tmp_24706-20170621_155428235224210.jpg The 30DC brush passed a huge test today. One of the best Williams Wednesday lathers ever. This is a cake from around 2000ish with tallow as the first ingredient. Awesomelicious shave with the 1912 and PAL. Life is good!!!! Topped it all off with AV.
    View attachment 138729

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Happy anniversary! Great picture.

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  7. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Substituted some CB Irish coffee in place of the usual Razorock XXX because I needed a scent change up.
    Still working the 38c for my focus
    Gentleman Jon post as well as a splash of Lucky Tiger
    Used the plissoft brush in this soap just for the bigger knot.
    Blade of the day was a Personna Red and I'm quite happy with it I must say. Great blade and a great shave almost no sting on the Alum and my face is plenty smooth. [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Boojum1, PLAla and 12 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

June 2017!!!

Trials and Tribulations

June 21

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

First of all, yes, the dead pig was delicious. A full rack of ribs with grilled corn, homemade potato salad followed by fudge swirl ice cream on angel food. The fact I'm not in a diabetic coma right now is a bit of a miracle.

The trial shave turned a bit into a tribulation shave tonight. The Blue Diamond is not, from what I can tell, the same as the SM Titanium blade. I'm not sure whether the steel is different, the grind, or just the coating, but it is not as sharp as the Titanium blade. And, the Titanium isn't exactly the sharpest blade you'll find. This one, however, is showing its lack of edge pretty quickly.

Normally on the 6 setting I expect a dull blade to perk up from its trial at 3. This one did not pick up much if any. I got to DFS but the cost was irritation. Rather warm alum and the after-effect of that little bit of heat on my neck and face. Add some dragging to the shave even at the prime setting for me and you have a blade that is underwhelming. I'm not really looking forward to finishing this one out but I will. I'm nothing if not thorough. No blood or other issues, just an unacceptable feel and finish to the whole thing.

I received a special delivery from Canada today. Thanks to @Screwtape who sent me the following:

Canadian blades.jpg

He asked me to try the Topaz Platinum while I was trialing Indian blades (Super-Max of course) and I readily agreed. We both are a bit puzzled by the description of "platinum sputtered edges". What exactly is a sputtered edge?! We'll find out in a few days. He was also generous and sent some Pal blades along that I wasn't expecting. Old timers, these, and I look forward to taking one for a spin. In a suitably vintage razor, of course.

Drygulch, Boojum1, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  9. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Happy anniversary!!!

Use a tiger blade to celebrate :D

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

No Tiger but the blade I used was no bargain. Ok, clearly not as bad as the Tiger, but still. It counts, right?

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

If setting #3 & #6 were underwhelming, and you expect #9 to bite as well - will you enjoy your vacation and finish your shave with a decent blade?
    Please Neal. Think of the children!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sticking to It!
    19-20 June 2017

IMG_1393.JPG

21 June 2017
    @MR41 Magic Time

IMG_1394.JPG
    After sticking to the Arko Challenge, decided to throw in the classic Wednesday lineup. And in order to honor our new Sith Lord, MR41, the Magic....two passes of that automatic WILLIAMS! Tuxedo did it justice and the Alum was good. Sprayed on the AV, and it's pipe time. Both eyes work again! Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a terrific Thursday!
    :)

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

There are no bargains outside Arko/Williams/Barbasol Axis of Awesome.

Carry on. ;)

(Kidding, sort of!)

Drygulch, RyX, Fup and 5 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko, Barbasol yes. I can't consider Williams a bargain. Cheap price yes, but that lather and scent is certainly no bargain!

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey hey hey. No crackin' on the Williams goodness.

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, RyX and 3 others like this.
  16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputter_deposition

It's roughly a way to deposit vaporized metal upon a surface. (such as CD's)

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:yoda2 Thank you!

Drygulch, RyX, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Pour one tbsp on the puck.
    @Keithmax load brush, dry synthetic optimal.
    Add water teaspoon at time to knot.
    Face lather like a boss.

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

For me, pour about the same amount on the puck the night before, if it hasn't been used for a while, and go to bed. Then pour another one on the puck, take a shower, and use a boar (that's all I have in use right now) that's mostly shaken off, and lather on the puck like you're calling someone to dinner. (make that mug ring). Spread on face.

The trick seems to be that it's such a dry soap that you need to make sure it's pre-moisturized.

Drygulch, RyX, SharptoothC and 2 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Boar? That's the only way (above) it would work at all for me with my 48.

Shave stick style was next best.

Then synthetic happened. You could probably whip transmission fluid into puffy clouds with good synthetic knots.

The @Keithmax style means "to take a brush and load a soap as it as if it owes you money, and is nearing thirty days late." He was mildly struggling with an enigmatically performing soap, but ultimatelyobtained good lather and blessed us with a new technique description several months back.

Drygulch, jtspartan, RyX and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.