200+yr old straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 45auto, Nov 28, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree with your sentiments. I have one on deck for tomorrow's shave. :)
    The 'Frederick Fenney' (F.Fenney) Tally Ho's date from 1833-1852. The later 'Tallies' (Bingham-stamped) were made afterwards.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I pulled out my Millikan from 1803-05 for the morning. This is fun[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yep, it's "Stubby Time".
    Use em, if you've got em.

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice looking shaver!

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

More like 180 years old, give or take 5-10 years. Tail designs are beginning to get thinner and slightly longer...
    Frederick Fenney 'Tally Ho' 7/8"— all original. circa 1832-1840...
    [​IMG]

Frederick Fenney 'Tally Ho' 8/8" — custom horn scales; circa 1850. Notice the change in tail from the one above.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    brit, RichMack, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I really enjoy shaving with this baby. It is fun to think about who might have shaved with it and where it has been. I had some help with research and am told I t was made in Dublin in 1803-05. The beautiful restoration was done by @HolyRollah and this razor is one of my favorites.
    SOTD
    Lisa's Natural Wet Shave Soap
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Millikin Stub Tail Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage, and Cedar
    Happy Friday![​IMG]

brit, Keithmax, lindyhopper66 and 6 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

All great pieces of history. What makes it even greater is the fact that they all still do a wonderful job of performing what they were designed for. Mine is exceptionally smooth and very adept of whacking down several days of growth without any effort.
    Keep 'em if you got 'em, gentlemen:)

Karl G, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Christiana Simpson

Christiana Simpson New Member

Good morning . Hopefully someone can help me identify the age on this early blade . The original box and blade states the same eccept the on the etched blade at end states "marked carved A.D 1684 " the box and blade states "The original &only true pure razor manufactuted only by George Wostenholm & Son limited sheffield . " Im new to this forum and collecting but my dad left me with over 300 item blade all vtg 1800,1900 and it very hard to identify them even with the name like Wade and Butcher which a have 7 of them all diffent and alot other so different . So hoping im welcome to ask the experts and this site . Thank you for any info would be so helpful . I did research on this blade but havent seen one that etched with all that info on it . Or it just wasnt mention on thete post about the etching . Ok thanks .

Attached Files:

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I would estimate a time frame of the mid to late 1800s on this razor. Since the country of origin 'England' is not stamped on the razor (merely, 'Sheffield'), we can accurately place the razor before the McKinley tariff act of 1890. Double-shouldered blade designs appear more often post-1850 so I'd feel pretty good in putting this razor in an approximate 1860-1889 time for production...give or take a decade or two. ;)

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Those old Geo. Wostenholm razors are very desirable, and shave well.
    BTW, welcome to The Shave Den. Please wander over to the Welcome Center, and introduce yourself.

Karl G, Christiana Simpson and Spyder like this.
  11. Christiana Simpson

Thank you so much . I tried to find info but couldnt get what you gave me . So helpful . Im learning my way around razor speech . I have about 30 more vtg blades around same age but different makers ,Wade and Butcher ,German blades and U. S A i just cant seem to find out the ages of them . Is it the blade shape that tells or the crest? But this is a fun learning experience . Thank you to the group for welcoming me . Most of all THANKS for you for sharing your infomation on VTG blades ..

Keithmax, Karl G and mrchick like this.
  12. Christiana Simpson

Thats great News . Im suprised how great shape the blade and especially the great shape the box is in . Thats wonderful news .

Karl G likes this.
  13. Christiana Simpson

Thank you so much it was very helpful .!!!

Karl G likes this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Keithmax, Karl G and JohnDB like this.
  15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Handy reference - I just bookmarked it - thanks! :)

Spyder likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It is.
    With the broad and varied range of makers over nearly 200 years of SR manufacture, any insight on the visible clues present on vintage razors is a boon for both restorers and collectors.
    Things get a little more murky into the 20th century as imports into the US begin having retailers vs makers name stamps. You'll find razors tang-stamped with something akin to 'Smythe Hardware', and 'Steel Made in Germany' (maybe) so tracking down the exact source and time period is tricky.

17. OSGGuy

OSGGuy New Member

anybody know of any good places to find good quality, antique straights?

Karl G likes this.
  18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

You can go to the Marketplace and then Classifieds on this site or equivalent BST (Buy, Sell, Trade) on other forums. Of course, eBay is loaded with them. :happy088:

19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Yup, there's one for sale right now.

Karl G likes this.
  20. Kojak269

Kojak269 New Member

@HolyRollah , those are really amazing razors and look in great conditions, may I ask where did you find them?

Karl G likes this.