A OneBlade Razor For $50?!?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mantic, May 28, 2017.

1. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

Cool
    I have seen a couple of threads some where with pictures that show how to do it.
    I was amazed at how far they bent the blade to loosen the spine from the blade.
    I'm not sure if I want to do it do to the safety concerns or I should save lack there of.
    Besides I don't have adult supervision at this faze of my life.
    They actually allow me to run the streets free.
    Fools :angry017:

ninjack and McHale like this.
  2. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Issues aside, I seem to be the only one with a problem with the blade availability. I have a huge problem with the fact they have a monopoly on the blade here in the US. That alone was reason enough for me not to try it. If I can't readily buy blades from multiple sources, especially while traveling it's not worth the hassle when there are so many great razors out there that use commonly found blades, even carts.

ninjack likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I believe the good folks at OneBlade need to go back to the drawing board with the Core. Putting/taking out the blade is a nightmare.

Primotenore and ninjack like this.
  4. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I agree, it is a bit of a challenge sometimes. You have to push evenly on it or it will go in crooked and then you have to back it back out some and try again. Taking it out is the same. If you lift up and pull it back and the pressure is uneven it can get cocked in there until you push it back in and try again. At least that's what I have run into. I will say I'm getting better at it. I get the blade into the slot, then hold the razor on each side between my thumb and forefinger and slowly slide it in until I can see the edge of the blade coming through. Then I gently push with my thumb and forefinger from the back of the blade. It seems to go in easier for me that way. If I just put the blade into the slot and push from the back of the blade, then it tends to go crooked and I have to try again.

5. captnronfl

Yea right. Every thing about the razor was top shelf but the head... a piece of crap that looks like a toy made in China.

6. captnronfl

More than that, I almost cut my finger twice trying to get the blade into the head.
    The first time was by a gnats hair.
    The second time I was very careful and it still did it.
    This time it was even closer.
    It must have been an angels hair.
    It blew right past the blade stops taking pieces of plastic with it.
    What were they thinking.
    They spent all that money and time to get a great but way over price razor with thinking that they could just ride the wave on this one.
    Still there are some who think it's a great razor.
    Leaves me scratching my head.
    Maybe I didn't get the same razor???

Keithmax likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

Exactly. I really don't have the patience to have to deal with blade alignment.
    But I will try your way of dealing with the blade, thanks for the great info. And your time.

Keithmax and ninjack like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    If you can get it in at all...(nyuk, nyuk) Sorry, I can be very juvenile. ;)

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    :shocked029:

10. captnronfl

I had to do the same thing.
    Slow... go very slow and easy.
    Wiggle it a little as you go from side to side.
    If I had this much time to mess with a razor I would be shaving with straights.
    No joking matter as there are quite a few people who got the Core where they won't go in at all.
    That must be frustrating.
    It's like Christmas morning when I was a kid......enough said...
    Not OneBlade's fault.
    That prize belongs to the company that is bragging about making the razors.

RaZorBurn123 and Keithmax like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    Not sure I agree with that. The fault lies squarely at the feet of OneBlade. They went to market BEFORE the product was ready.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. captnronfl

I wasn't privy to their board room meetings [at either place] so I like to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    However if it was a ship, it's the captain that carries the blame.
    I am sure they did not want anything but good things to come out of this adventure. :signs081:

RaZorBurn123 and Keithmax like this.
  13. ninjack

Okay, I brought my box of CVS Pharmacy blades with me to work today and cut the spine off of one without cutting the notches into the sides.
    blades-3.jpg
    blades-4.jpg

As you can see once the spine is cut off, they already have a notch in them.
    blades-5.jpg

Unfortunately the notch that is already in the CVS blade does not line up with the notch in the Feather blades.
    blades-6.jpg

Because of this it will not lock into the Oneblade Core razor without having the notches modified. The blade inserts up to the stops, but had nothing to hold it in place while shaving. I'm not sure of any other blades that might fit, but the CVS brand single edge blades definitely need to be modified before they can be used.

RaZorBurn123, clint64 and Keithmax like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The unmodified Gem blades with the spine removed can be used in the Core. I along with others have used them in the Core. In my experience they didn't work very well. The shaves with the Feather were closer and more comfortable. In order to get the best from the Gem blade I think you are right the blades will need to have the correct notches cut.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    captnronfl, RaZorBurn123 and Keithmax like this.
  15. ninjack

That's interesting. How do the unmodified GEM blades stay in place without the modification? Is it just the friction of the tabs putting pressure against the blade that is keeping it from sliding back while shaving? The unmodified blade I put in didn't feel loose when pushed all the way in, but was easily pulled back out without the tabs locked in. I would have thought without the blade being locked in it would push back in the head when trying to shave with it. Maybe putting a finger over the back of the blade to keep it from slipping back. If I could just remove the spine without modding the tabs it would make it a much better option to use the GEM blades. My shave with the modified CVS blade was not as close as the Feather. I did about 4 passes with lots of buffing on my neck and it still wasn't as close as I would like it to be.

clint64 and Keithmax like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I must be an anomaly. I had no problem with inserting a blade or any alignment issues. It went in straight and simple and came out the same way. My only problem is that it's too mild. It saved nice, but was a lot of work to get there.

Herm

captnronfl and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. ninjack

I just read a post by CYBERDOG over at B&B forum that Oneblade has updated the Core razor on the new batch to make it more aggressive (they've tweaked the blade exposure and angle which will keep the blade toward the front and increase the gap a little) and some other tweaks. They are supposedly sending out emails to the original buyers offering to exchange their current model for the updated version. You will need to return your existing razor to take advantage of the exchange program. The poster said emails will go out today or tomorrow. Sounds like great news!

captnronfl, Herm2502 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

Frustrating...

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One of the many reasons I hesitate to purchase new and unproven designs as often there is limited test-market results. There is always some risk for those who purchase initial releases. Weighing 'risk vs reward,' I opt to wait for manufactures to 'get it right' (or at least iron out the bugs) before investing in the latest release.

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Yawn...moved on.