July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Frank's progress on the straight is tempting me to pull mine back out of the drawer, but with numerous RAD acquired DE's and soaps in the cabinet that haven't been tried yet, I'm staying strong and working through them one by one. My unfocused focus is still staying marginally focused. Self discipline and prudence isn't always easy amidst this group of enablers and instigators!

2. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

I took your advice and listened for the Velcro sound and was doing really good at keeping the angle at first but then I started getting ahead of myself and may have not been getting the blade at as steep of an angle as is ideal. My cheeks were fine but just under my chin, my upper lip and neck felt a little burny as I shaved. Still better results and more comfortable than the Fatip. I'm definitely looking forward to spending more time with the razor.

And I'm definitely going to enjoy the bourbon :D

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Bourbon drinking in Kentucky?!? That's my kind of vacation! Have fun!

Drygulch, FaceScraper, RyX and 5 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I found the sound is a big help to me in getting the angle correct. Once mastered the Gems are smooth efficient razors.

5. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I say toe-may-toe, you say toe-mah-toe. Let's just focusate on the factoid that there are many in our presence who engage in the art of shenanigans, and we love them for it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6. BaylorGator

Lots of Shave learning this morning. Very little involved technique, though. After yesterday's lackluster shave, apparently Mars stopped "retrograding" and yin came back to kick yang's booty with a freaking awesome shave! Ironically this happened despite using a new soap whose scent was not my thing.
    IMG_1792.JPG

So today I went with two brand spanking new products: a Delta Echo Razor that I bought from another member who had never used it, and B&M Dickens soap. The Delta echo was my first shave with a modern DE razor in several months, as almost all my experience is with vintage Gillettes. This is a very heavy razor, and shaves very differently than I'm used to. Took a stroke or two to find the right angle, and then it was smooth shaving. Extremely smooth, and extremely close in fact. Wow! Shave zen restored today as quickly as it left me yesterday.
    Meanwhile, the Dickens goes into a drawer to be traded for another B&M soap whose scent I enjoy more (TBD) while the pink leftover mark on my chin left by the straight confirms to my right brain that my ultimate goal - the CJB shavette that taunts me from its stand - will need to wait a bit before I take it for a spin.
    IMG_1791.JPG
    Shave on, gentlemen!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  7. SharptoothC

This is very true. I've tried to place myself on a no-buy in the middle of my unfocused focus, and so far I'm not buying it.

8. SharptoothC

Sometimes the thrill of trying something new can be the catalyst to deeper enjoyment. I've found that to be the case for me. This is why an unfocused focus works for me. I can get good shaves on a focus, but changing things up - even combinations - changes the way I end up feeling about it.

9. SharptoothC

Oh, and the CJB is a great shave.

Drygulch, RyX, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Clint! Your B&W photos are always great.

Drygulch, RyX, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes, we can conversate about that.

Drygulch, RyX, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  12. SharptoothC

I enjoy the spectacle of our shenanigating shenanigators.

Drygulch, FaceScraper, RyX and 5 others like this.
  13. BaylorGator

What's not to like?

Drygulch, FaceScraper, RyX and 4 others like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm waiting my turn at my local barbershop. I'm wearing a t-shirt with a Wade and Butcher FBU on it and immediately got "nice shirt" commentsIt's a great way to start shaving gear conversations.
    This morning was a nice smooth shave.
    Dirty Deeds Tobacco Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Faultless Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Fine American Blend After Shave
    Have a great weekend![​IMG]

15. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

What was it about Dickens you did not like?

I was in the same camp at first. I find the scent changed depending on what I smelled most recently. The spicy cardamom scent did calm down over time and now that I have tried a few other cherry soaps(Stirling Black Cherry and Soap Smooth Cevet), I find I can smell the cherry in Dickens more. Maybe I have learned to notice it more, not sure. In all, I enjoy the scent.

Drygulch, Screwtape, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. I use the B&W with metal handle brushes trying to manage the reflections. ;) (keep me out of them:D)

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great picture Randy. Your experience with Dickens is my issue with B&M soaps. For me the scents have been hit and miss with me only enjoying 1 out of 3 B&M scents I tried. My next B&M purchase will only be after trying samples.

18. Norcalnewb

Wonderful picture, Brian.

19. Norcalnewb

I know all about reflections in brush handles.

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very true . :happy097:

Drygulch, SharptoothC, RyX and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.