July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July 2017 - Time to straighten up!

July 10

Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89L
    Blade - voskhod-teflon-coated.jpg (1)
    Soap - Truefitt & Hill 1805
    Brush - 30DC LE
    Post - Alum

I was off today and felt better when I woke up and seemed to be back to normal. Finally threw caution to the wind and mowed the lawn in the late afternoon. Since I had worked 12 days straight it was past time. It was hot, muggy and not really all that nice but I got it done and called it a day. I can tell I'm not quite 100% yet but close. I decided on an easy shave to get the month going again so picked my EJDE89 and a Voskhod. Throw the T&H soap and LE brush in for a great lather and the oft-ignored, quite mild yet very effective EJ razor did a fine job with the Voskhod. Near-BBS in two passes and touch ups. And that was on a three day beard. Not complaining at all.

I'll be starting in with the Rabbit tomorrow for a few days of TSR shaves. Looking forward to being fully back in the saddle!

Almost forgot - even though it's late evening I decided to class things up a bit with a truly magnificent and classic finish!

The Veg.jpg

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Am I late or early shave?

Coates Superior Lime Cream
    SP➵2 Pure Black badger
    Osaka Suribachi bowl
    Schick G-8, Chick blade
    Alum, Pinaud Lime Sec

SOTD 07112017.gif
    I didn't know this manufacture had shut down. There's still some Coates around but the supply is shrinking. Recalling the tube from The Soap Pass-around plus a second sample from The Shavey Awards I checked both samples - must be drying out as the consistency is near waxy & thick. I smeared a chunk in the bowl and when it wouldn't take to a softer badger knot it got scraped up and smeared on my beard. Light on candy lime scent but building an acceptable lather it's a decent product. Easy intuitive WTG pass with the Schick and I liked the residual slickness. Relathered thrice for ATG, XTG, and plenty of all over clean up told me this SE needs a fresh blade. Not tuggy but less that efficient. Alum reported lightly, but I could feel a bit of usually reduced stubble on my lower neck. Splash of Lime Sec to carry the candy flavor of the cream for a 80% CCS.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

July 11, 2017
    OneBlade Core V1
    Feather FHS-10
    30 DC LE with Omega Boar
    Route 66 Bay Lime Twist
    Folsom & Co Shambala

[​IMG]

Another great shave this morning. The 30 DC boar loaded and lathered the Bay Lime Twist. I made sure to add a little extra water as the Core works better with a thinner slicker lather. Three pass and minimal touch ups provided one of the closest shaves this month. My neck was excellent but I overlooked on small area on my jawline. I finished with a splash of F&C Shambala. I hope everyone has a fantastic Tuesday.

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_0427.JPG

Jul 11 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    Stirling Bay Rum SS
    Gillette Red Tip
    Rapira PL (13)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Bay Rum AS

Lucky 13 for this blade, and it was just like the prior 12: nice and smooth. Two passes for DFS. I hope everyone has a great day!

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Terrific picture, Clint!

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. We finally had some sun this weekend so I cheated and took several photos for the upcoming SOTD posts. ;)

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great B&W photo Jim. :happy088:

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

on this morning's shave, there's no doubt that the Dial 4 Men "warmed" things up. I'll have to try this combo again(Barbasol Mountain&L&L Grooming Marshlands)either on a less humid day, or with a cooler bodywash). Course an Ice Bucket Challenge would have set the mood right, too :).

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Those expressions of shock and dismay say it all :D

10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The same blade I use in my Weck. Fromme.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Douglas Carey, RyX and 4 others like this.
  11. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Razor: Delta Echo (private label) Cubano
    Blade: Astra SP (4)
    Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian in custom Amboyna handle
    Soap: TSE for Men Espresso
    (sorry, no pic today)

For the fourth day in a row, the Delta Echo has provided unprecedented results. It almost saddens me a bit as I love the history and romance of all my vintage Gillettes, but it's gonna be hard not to come back to this one at the end of powering through all my RAD purchases. This was my first time with TSE soap from the pass around, and I did enjoy the scent and performance of the soap. However, the lather did seem to dissipate, requiring me to whip up a bit more between each pass. Lathering from a sample can be tricky, so I'll give this soap the benefit of the doubt and try again at some point, but this would keep me from purchasing this soap unless I could figure out the problem, and there are too many great soaps that lather up perfectly and provide great performance for me to spend too much time and effort on it. Having said that, I'm secretly hoping for a win down the road as this soap retails for $10 a tub.

Shave on, gentlemen!

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I can't believe I'm still getting very nice shaves off of the factory edge on this razor. It's a consistently nice shaver. Four passes for BBS
    SOTD
    Route 66 Bay Lime Twist Soap
    Jayaruh #44 Brush
    Portland Razor Company Siren
    Lucky Tiger
    PAA Déjà Fougère After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

13. Paul Turner

spent the day in sunny hot(but dry)Arizona, I see :).

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0720.JPG
    11 July 2017 OLD Blade Focus Shave

Pre: The usual.
    Razor: Gillette 1911 OLD
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: JR#161 NY Mets Special Edition
    Soap: Catie's Bubbles "Tonsorial Parlour"
    After Shave: The Clubman

Stayed with Catie's Bubbles this shave. Up today, "Tonsorial Parlour". Very pleasant slick, cushiony lather whipped up by my Jayaruh brush. The container has a small mouth and the knot is the perfect size to get into it. 2.5 passes and I had a BBS. Wasn't even thinking about one, but the OLD/GSB combo had other ideas. Some J hooking on my lower neck is what sealed the deal. Splashed on Ed Pinaud's best and it was off to work. Where by the way it's hot and muggy as all get out.
    Stay cool my friends!

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I feel you Randy. I had several vintage Gillette razors that have left the den after being beaten by modern offerings. I am down to 2 vintage Gillette razors from my birth year, a Slim and a Super Speed. These made the cut simply because they are birth year razors.

After trying the Core I am wrestling with which razors will be leaving the den to support the upgrade to the stainless version. The shaves have been that good and easy.

16. Paul Turner

that fella better motivate that bike up the hill fast!!!

17. Paul Turner

1/3 of the way into the month, the survey shows DE razor with a commanding lead. Were it not for its SE counterpart, DE might be blowing away the field 11 days in, so we'll have to see if SE can make a surprise move.

18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Awesome photos, gents!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

19. mrchick

Nope. Sunny and hot California

20. mrchick

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.