Russian Rocket PIF (straight razor)

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by Keithmax, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This is a mystery PIF, how I select the winner and when I select the winner is a mystery, even I do not know yet.

In this PIF is a Russian "Rocket" straight razor, it about 4/8 or 5/8 and is shave ready. It was honed by Larry at Whipped Dog. I am also including my knicked up poor man's strop. It was my first strop and it looks like it.

There is one rule: If you win this razor and decide to not keep you will not sell but instead will PIF it here at TSD and the PIF will be open globally.

If you are new to the 'dark side' you increase your chances, if you have already joined the dark side you are still eligible.

To enter tell me why you want this sharp piece of Russian steel and what draws you to the dark side.

IMG_3744.jpg

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Definitely in. I'd like to win this razor because its simply awesome! The dark side draws me in because of straight razor shaving has a long history, for one. It's vintage. Two. It's paying homage to a long line of people who have taught us about the art of straight razors.

Karl G, Spyder, Kokak and 1 other person like this.
  3. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

Count me in please ...
    I have a couple of straights I can't get the hang of.
    If I am selected I will PIF this to my eldest son who is enjoying the challenge of using his Gold Dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Not in. Only because I own one. This razor is well known for being made of quality steel that can hold a very sharp edge. With the addition of the strop, this is an excellent starter kit for someone looking to get into SR shaving. Kudos to @Keithmax for this fantastic PIF.

Karl G, Spyder, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Please count me im!

I've only been part of TSD for a few months but to say I'm fallen down the rabbit hole would be spot on. I have only used DE so far as the one straight I owned a right as I had it honed and ready to go close friend mentioned in passing he was interested in straight razors and I gifted to him as I was still learning DE at the time. As for the particulars of this razor pretty much all the DE blades I prefer are russian so Im very convinced of the quality of steel.

Oh and what draws me to the dark side is the craftsmanship, learning a new skill and ties back to a different time before everything was disposable. One of the greatest enjoyments Ive had has been out hunting and seeing so many things from my childhood and from times long before me. Everytime I go hunting I stop and take long looks at the straights but usually don't know much about what I'm looking at so I post them here for others to see and educate me.

Either way thanks for a great PIF and congrats to whoever wins it!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Karl G, Spyder, drwevil and 2 others like this.
  6. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I'm In! Just getting started with straights partially for the challenge, partially for the history and nostalgia, and partially because it's just manly, brother! Short of pulling a Bowie knife out of your belt and shaving with it, it's pretty hard to beat the man factor here. I've also had another member recommend this razor to me as and easy shaver in a good starter. Waiting for the small scar on my chin to fully fill in before I give it another run!

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Very nice PIF Keith! I am not in as I already have a couple straight razors.

Karl G, Spyder, GarnerPW and 2 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm in. I've never had a straight, and except by barbers years ago, I never used one myself. I've always been fascinated by straights since seeing two that my Dad had as a kid. I'm not sure if they were his, or from someone else in the family, because I just remember his Gillettes. I used to carry one of them to cut branches to make sling shots, not a good choice and still wish I had them. And if I decide not to keep it, which I highly doubt, I will PIF it. But I do want to learn how to use one.

Karl G, Spyder, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  9. Str8Edge

Str8Edge Active Member

Nice PIF!
    Not in

Karl G, Spyder, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I'm in.

I just picked up 2 razors from Kevin (due to be delivered today) as my 1st Straight Razors (I yet to shave with a Straight Razor). I would love to see the difference with learning how to use a straight razor, with different blades. I also really like the idea that if you win a PIF and it turns out you will not keep it, it should be PIF'd to someone else.

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I'm in! I've been wanting to try a straight razor and this looks like a great opportunity. This razor is especially cool with it's Cold War Russian roots, I really like the looks.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great PIF, not in. Someone else needs to enjoy some vintage Russian Steel. I already have two Russian Straight Razors, both are very nice shavers.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would love to try a Russian straight. Count me in. Great pif.

14. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I'm in. I'm limiting the PIFs, as I have what I need, but I haven't tried a straight razor. It seems like a good way to start a weekend, when there is more time to shave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

15. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Not in. I already have a couple of straights and lean more to 6/8 vs 5/8. Great PIF for someone who is wanting to join us on the darkside. Good luck to those that enter the door to the darkside. Thanks @Keithmax for the fun PIF.

16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Good show, I'm not in, I've got all i need. But good for you to share.

17. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I'm in. Very Beautiful razor.

Sorry. To quote your rules.

To enter tell me why you want this Sharp piece of Russian Steel and what draws to the dark side.
    ( SHE'S BEAUTIFUL. )
    And I'm new to the Dark side and ( SHE'S BEAUTIFUL).
    That's all I got thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  18. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I'm in! I've never tried a straight razor but would love to. Very generous PIF @Keithmax !

19. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm in, please. I have one straight that I'm semi-proficient with, and would love to have another to keep it company! I enjoy the dark side of shaving mostly because of the nostalgia factor. In addition, nothing says "I trust myself" like holding a piece of extremely sharp steel to your throat!

20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm not in....BUT.....THIS IS SUCH A HIP PIF..... My congrats to all concerned...To @Keithmax for putting this together. To all who are in because this is too cool. And to whoever wins because this razor and set up is the Cats Meow...I've used a Turkish Shavette and loved it...I've always said when I made the move to a real str8 it would be one made with Soviet Russian steel ...I remembered James Bond using one in the books...and later @Karl G and I have had a great running commentary on the virtues of the classic "Rocket" str8...Now I see this...What a great way to get set-up...

CONGRATS TO ALL CONCERNED.....THIS :git:

Karl G, Spyder, lightcs1776 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.