July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Yes he does amigo. He has a great amount of knowledge also when it comes to brushes.

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Mongoose B2 w/Hempel Ti Handle
    Blade: Feather (7)
    Brush: El Druida Red Heart Chakte Kok/African Blackwood 2 Band Badger
    Soap: Synergy Bay Rum
    A/S: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
    Bowl: Junichi Tanaka Scuttle
    I used the Timeless Signature shave soap for a week. The soap is made buy http://oleosoapworks.com/. I don't have any complaints about this soap. Timeless Razor Signature Shaving Soap by Oleo Soapworks. This exclusive, premium quality soap whips up into an excellent, luxurious lather which helps provide a fantastic shaving experience. The fragrance is a warm masculine scent with bay rum, musk, amber, and a hint of spice. I thought the scent was weak and it dried my face a little. The lather was slick, and had good cushion and glide.

4 ounce container:
    Ingredients: Stearic acid, water, shea butter, potassium hydroxide, kokum butter, coconut oil, glycerine, castor oil, jojoba oil, sodium hydroxide, fragrance, and sodium lactate.
    Timeless Signature Soap.jpg

[​IMG]

I left the soap upside down to try Keith's artistic presentation of his shave soap. I can't take any credit for this.

3. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Well, back from vacation as of yesterday. Haven't shaved since my birthday on Wednesday and used the GEM 1912 today after getting a mediocre haircut and doing some overdue yard work. Boy did the blade smooth out after the first shave. DFS with 2 passes, N to S and nose to ear. Only a couple little spots reacted to the alum and no irritation. I am very much enjoying the SE life :)

Also a little pic of my haul from Kentucky. Tried not to break the bank so it's not much but they're tasty :)
    [​IMG]

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very good picture and setup.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Now that's a haul I would enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful setting for a picture Amigo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much my friend. :happy088:

8. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Thanks, my girlfriend actually set it up and took the picture. I just drink it :)

Oh yeah, it's really good stuff. We broke open the Woodford Double Oaked last night. That's her favorite since she found out she's just not too fond of rye. A couple of the tours taught the "proper" way to drink whiskey and now she's a fan...of the expensive stuff. I keep telling her I'm going to turn her on to Wild Turkey 101 but she doesn't agree.

Also learned that Jameson really likes Wild Turkey's used barrels so that explains why it's so tasty too! :D

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That is the view outside my bathroom window. On the right is the Han River and on the left are some office buildings and hotel.

I'm glad to see the four pass shave is working out for you. Now I don't feel so alone.

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks to you! I don't think I would have tried it if it wasn't for your posts.

11. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

So did you spring for the $100 Pappy?

12. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

It was $80 at the bar we went to and yep, sure did. It was really good but not good enough to justify buying a bottle for who knows how much. At least I can say I've had it.

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July 2017 - Time to straighten up!

July 15

Razor - W.B. Speed - Rabbit
    Soap - Truefitt & Hill 1805
    Brush - WCS Synthetic
    Post - Alum

What a great finish to a week with the Rabbit. I decided to take my time and work on reduction, and use four passes like some others have. And, I apparently found the sweet spot on the T&H 1805 soap. My, my, my the lather was as luxurious and slick as I've ever had. I have been trying to remember the exact way I loaded in the synthetic and hope I can recreate that every time. I'm serious. Maybe the best lather I've ever had. Slicker than the Fat, extremely protective and cushiony, and I'm pretty sure that had as much to do with the baby showing up as my razor technique.

Deciding on four passes I was slightly concerned about having enough lather from the load but I had enough after four passes to do at least two more. That's how good the lather was. Can't say enough about that, can you tell? I had a week of really nice straight razor shaves. The best week I've ever had with the TSR and the stropping is getting to be less of a hassle in my mind now as well. That's a good thing. While I may never turn totally to the dark side I am happy to be at a point I can visit there and not have to overcome a learning curve every time.

Coming up in the next few days I'm going to be trying a couple of new AC blades in the pain sticks. Feather has a new blade out and Schick is also making an AC blade. Should be fun and hopefully interesting as well.

truefitt-and-hill-1805-luxury-shaving-soap-bowl.jpg

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I _really_ like that bowl.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yeah me too. Unfortunately, I don't own the bowl yet. When I use this puck up I'm going to order the bowl so I have it. The puck is shaped to fit in it perfectly.

16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Saturday July 15 - an old friend

Gillette Fatboy on 3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    30DC LE Maple Cashmere
    My Red Green Duct Tape Special frankensoap
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent Aftershave

After revisiting the Gillette Black Beauty for the last couple shaves, tonight I went with the Fatboy. After a couple shaves with it, I will then move on to the Slim.

The 30DC LE synthetic brush whipped up the usual good lather I get from my soft Italian almond frankensoap. The Fatboy then gave me the usual two-pass good shave I now expect from it. The alum had no complaints. A splash from the very bottom of my Thayers aftershave bottle, and I was refreshed and ready to go.

Hope the weekend is treating everyone well!

17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

July 5-15

Minimal prep
    Franhen razor- Utopia handle & Maggard V3-A head
    Various soaps & creams
    Simpson's Commedore x 1 - big fan
    Witch Hazel
    Aqua Velva & Skin Bracer

I 've been using one of Maggard's aggressive heads which is mild, but very efficient. I've been working a lot more lately and it's been nice to be able to zone out and not have to pay attention and end up with a fine to bbs Shave at the end.
    I got a new brush for my bday( Simpson's Commodore x 1); It's been like a better way of life. Paired with the razor and my whole zone out-sublime experience, I have really been enjoying my shaves. I hope everyone is well and having great shaves!!

18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

You take some fantastic photos!!

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

July 16, 2017
    Timeless OC (0.95mm)
    Feather (2)
    30 DC LE with Omega Boar
    Mystic Water Lavender Lime
    Folsom & Co Shambala

[​IMG]

MW Lavender Lime is a blend of two of my favorite scents with the addition of menthol. As expected the 30DC Boar made short work of whipping up a mountain of rich slick lather. I decided to go with a 2 pass shave today. The first pass XTG followed by an ATG pass. After very minimal touch ups, I ended up with a fantastic shave falling just short of an epic shave. I finished up with a splash of F&C Shambala. I am leaving later this morning to visit my Mom and take her out to lunch. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Another great pic, Clint, and that 30 DC handle looks bad to the bone with the omega boar!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.