Trouble Face Lathering

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Carlos Da Noob, Jul 17, 2017.

1. My little toy boar had become my go to brush, since I face lather most of the time.

[​IMG]

Last night I tried using my Razorock Bruce, which has pretty much been testing on the rack ever since I got it. It was a mess: not enough backbone, water splashing all around... I felt like I had no control whatsoever over what was going on.

Any tips?

2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I guess my first question is why do you need backbone to face lather? I use the Bruce all the time the only thing I need it to do is splay and hold lather both of which it does like a champ. I wet mine down under the sink then give it a quick shake to knock out the extra water. It should be wet but not dripping enough water to clump the bristles together but not enough to be dripping off the brush.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

jsw41 and RyX like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There ya go! Just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got.

4. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Theoretically less water should equate to a stiffer brush. So a stiffer brush should have more backbone, in theory. Try using less water perhaps ?

Primotenore likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Maybe try holding it at the base of the knot with a couple of fingers?

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Not necessarily so.
    This brush is the epitome of floppy, whether wet or dry.
    IMG_1336.jpg
    @Carlos Da Noob rather than gripping it by the handle, try holding the base of the knot. The farther up towards the bristle tips you hold, the more control and, by proxy, more backbone you will achieve.

RyX likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Beat me to it. :p

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Do you soak the Big Bruce? If so don't. Dip the tips in water. IMO the Big Bruce is a superb brush, you don't need to remove a couple layers of skin off your face, most exfoliating should be done in the shower.
    Give the Big Bruce another try, I believe you'll be very happy.

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Fastest fingers in the East, Joseph!
    :lam:

10. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Hopefully you can get this dialed in because for real this is one of my favorite brushes to face lather with. It's so soft and feels great on face.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Not to mention shaving exfoliates as well.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Less water, more splaying. I start on my neck and build the lather there and then move to the cheeks. You can add water, but when you get too much, you can't take it out. Push that brush in and work it. Good luck. I love face-lathering.

13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I agree, you need far less water than you were probably used to with the boar. I squeeze my synthetics almost entirely out and then add more water while loading if necessary.

Zykris likes this.
  14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

All great suggestions already here. I'll just reiterate, start less water and add tiny bits till you get the consistency you like.

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

only enough to splay, imagine trying to hold the brush away from your face a bit. Only touching with enough to splay the bristles.

Zykris likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Place tablespoon of water on puck. Lather with dry synthetic until you have picked up all the water. Wet your face. Lather on face, adding water as needed by dripping it onto the knot near the handle.

Splay isn't needed for this technique.

17. UPDATE:

I grabbed my Tabac stick and applied it directly to my wet face. When I first tried turning that film of soap into lather, the lack of water made up for a lot of friction and drag - that's when the brush's "softness" usually becomes a bit of an issue. With the boar, I usually just graze and "tickle" it with the tip of the wet brush and lather just pops out.

Anyhow, I continued to "paint" the soap across my face and adding a just a few droplets or water to the brush now and then. Granted: having to monitor the water little by little takes time and a bit more patience. Nonetheless, when I saw that I finally had enough water in there and gave the brush a good splay, the lather came out! Then I just went to town and kept building the lather. When the brush was holding enough lather, I just "painted" what I needed on my face and kept the rest in the brush.

Next time, I'll just try splaying sooner see how that works...

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017