Hand Stropping a Straight Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by EnglishChannel, Jul 14, 2017.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

How many of you do this?

I do it ... somewhat regularly between passes.
    I saw a post (I am pretty sure on this forum) that showed an Italian Barber demonstrating the proper method for hand stropping a Straight Razor blade.

Of course I had to try it, and I find that it makes my shave feel smoother.

I know that this topic was covered under the safety razor sub, and I do use this technique to improve a shave with a DE or cartridge if I am in a hurry, or don't have a fresh cartridge or DE blade readily available. With a few quick strokes, I see an improvement in the shave. YMMV

I also use this simple technique with my pocket knives etc. with good results.
    What are your thoughts?

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Friends don't let friends hand strop a straight razor.

Karl G likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

If you can get past the risk factor, this technique sounds interesting...

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

As our corporate process safety manager once asked me: "Keith! What the hell were you thinking!?"

Karl G, Jim99 and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd sooner trust a piece of denim on the countertop. I just can't think of any good reason to palm strop a straight razor. The skin oils from your hand are not going to do the blade any favors in the long term.

Edit: it's your shave, if you feel you get good results, keep doing it. I won't recommend it to others, though.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I like my leather strops too much and my hands even more. I'm not trying it!

:eek::scared003::shocked003:

Spyder likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Watch YouTube videos of Alex of TheJapanstone. He does it (strop) frequently on the palm.

Keithmax, Spyder and EnglishChannel like this.
  8. EnglishChannel

I found the YouTube video I was referring to.

I guess "palm stropping" is the correct terminology.
    fyi

Slipperyjoe, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've done it plenty, before I obtained a smooth finished strop. I don't see the need to do it during the middle of a shave, unless the razor is losing its edge. If it's doing that, then there might be something wrong with the steel(too soft and loss of its temper)..

EnglishChannel likes this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sometimes I will do inbetween my 3rd and 4th pass.

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  11. EnglishChannel

Let me be clear. This does NOT replace stropping the razor on leather before the shave.
    It is not scary to me in the least, using a time honored technique.

After all, if you think about it, you place a straight razor at your throat as a matter of routine getting a close shave. Your hands are far more able to accommodate the appropriate use of a sharp object - are they not in fact what you hold the razor with when you shave your delicate face?

I just don't see the reason for any fear and trembling. Just be careful and deliberate. JUST LIKE SHAVING.

As far as skin oils, I do this as a regular routine to freshen of the edge during the shave. After shaving, I always wipe my blade with alcohol. No "hand oil" remains on the blade for storage.

As always, use this technique at your own risk.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  12. EnglishChannel

I don't mean. in any way to be offensive.
    Oru-kaih_licking_blade.jpg
    We all love a sharp bade, no?
    Just sayin'.;)

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I honed a couple razors today and hand stroked them between stones. Helped me to evaluate the edge

EnglishChannel likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I may have to try this.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sure, you can drive a nail with a rock, but if you have a hammer...

gssixgun likes this.
  16. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    This was use by people HONING the blade to eliminate the "Sparklies" so you can see / feel the true edge without getting up from the honing bench

The internet has made it into something is was never meant to be :(

Bama Samurai and Spyder like this.
  17. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

I hand strop frequently. No big deal to me. I have a better chance of cutting myself while pulling the sharp edge forward across my face, than when pulling the sharp edge backwards across a short stretch of my palm skin. It does not replace a leather strop, just adds to it.

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Similar to the perpetuation of a number of shaving-related procedures such as the use of post-finisher finishers, unicot & dulicot methodology, and pretty much anything else that complicates the more direct path to shaving nirvana. :D

Spyder and gssixgun like this.
  19. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

I failed to say that I hand strop while honing. I personally haven't seen any benefit from hand stropping while shaving.

Spyder likes this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I've had more and worse cuts to my hands than to my face :p The last was applying tape to the blade. I couldn't play my guitar for two weeks:(. Maybe I'm just clumsy.....

Keithmax likes this.