YMMV...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carlos Da Noob, Jul 16, 2017.

1. When I started down this road close to two months ago, I found the number of options and choices quite staggering. It seemed that, the more I dug, the more new options, opinions and suggestions threatened to swamp my mind and obfuscate the selection process.

Over time, and after a number of rookie mistakes, I began to understand things a little bit better. I noticed that, after some time navigating the ocean of options out there, certain patterns began to emerge and popular choices and trends began to come into focus. I now had a sense of direction.

Reviews and opinions are good and valuable, but they're no substitute for first hand experience. My initial choices were safe: "tried and true" products that had worked great for many people. Some did for me too. Some didn't.

I've managed to surprise myself quite a bit in the last two weeks, as I've become more comfortable admitting to myself that some of my preferences stray from the popular choices.

I like to face lather, so I use sticks almost exclusively. My only tub of soap has sat on the shelf untouched for a week. Same goes for my Plissoft. I use my little toy boar brush almost exclusively, since face lathering requires the stritch. I have three very popular DE razors (heck, one of them is even called popular!), but my new G Type Injector has become the start of the show...

I have therefore come to the conclusion that one of the pleasures of this hobby is getting to know myself and what works for me. What routine works better, how does my beard REALLY grow, what works better for my skin, etc...

It's about the journey. It's about self discovery: there is no such thing as "THE best soap" or "THE best razor" or even "THE best blade for this razor". It's about what works for ME.

Your mileage may vary...

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Carlos mi hermano, you are officially ahead of the learning curve. Congratulations! The one thing you will find however is there are some blades that work better on your face with certain razors. For me, in my NEW SC it's GSB for example. I won't go thru the list. Suffice it to say you'll find favorites to pair up with your different razors. After all that's the fun of this thing of ours. It's all about the AD's! :)
    Seriously though, in terms of technique, you should read @Bama Samurai's "riding the cap" post in the "Shave School" thread. Great knowledge there. Then give the 30 Day Rule/Focus a go. You'll be surprised and pleased about how much your skills will increase!
    Enjoy your shaves!

mrchick, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

It is about what is best, what is best for you. You also don't need to forgo soaps or even creams to face lather. Just load the brush and then build the lather on your face. If you prefer sticks please continue to use them. I'm just saying you might be missing out on great products by not using pucks or creams. I can understand where you are coming from even though I don't use sticks, as I lather directly on my head. But as @RetLEO-07 has pointed out, stick to the 30 day rule. I'm going to have to try a few sticks now. Even a newb has me wanting to try different products. BTW, welcome to the den.

mrchick, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    @Carlos Da Noob , I only face lather. I have made my own sticks with old deodorant containers for some of my soaps. Whenever I finish a stick deodorant, I clean out the container and use it for one of my soaps.

I still use creams, I just start by taking a dab and rubbing it on my face. However, soaps like MWF, I just load on the brush for about 30 seconds and then build the lather on my face.
    col_conk_amber2.jpg
    1col_conk_amber_s.jpg arko3s.jpg Jeeves2.jpg proraso_stick.JPG TOBS_lavender2.jpg

mrchick, AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's why I've been so comfortable with disposeABLEs over the years(razors).

Keithmax, SABOTEURw and RyX like this.
  6. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Hey it's the Storm trooper! White PAA Bakelite Slant!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  7. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Good for you finding a pattern that works for you. I would definitely recommend the 30 day rule/focus as well it helped me a lot with my technique. Also the Plissoft is a great face lathering brush I love lathering up with it because of how soft it feels on the face. Pucks and tubs also work great for face lathering. Don't let yourself miss out on some great soaps by painting yourself into a corner.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

mrchick, RyX, Carlos Da Noob and 2 others like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

So true. Try explaining to someone that doesn't know what traditional wet shaving is, and how it's made a difference in your life.
    YMMV..

mrchick likes this.
  9. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

Well said. Interesting how after you share with us how you've arrived at a place you find acceptable, members proceed to convince you otherwise.

Glad you found your happy place.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

As the Klingon philosopher Kahless the Unforgettable once said..leghlaHchu'be'chugh mIn lo'laHbe' taj jej or A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye..:yoda2

Carlos Da Noob and Keithmax like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Ymmv is really for things like soap consumption and blade longevity.

Results are largely dependent upon technique, but I won't write "Your Skill level and results may vary", because though that's what we usually need to discuss, people don't like hearing it.

12. Sure man, whatever.

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

People who claim something is "the best product in the world" live in their own world.

Or they work in marketing

mrchick likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No need to stick with shave sticks because you like to face lather. Kudos by the way on that. Any soap or cream can be used to face lather. It's just a technique to learn. Most YMMV things are technique related at heart. As we pick up the skill level things even out.

Or they shave with Williams :cool::rolleyes: Just throwing that out there.

mrchick and RetLEO-07 like this.
  15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Why?

Williams is not sold here, by the way.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Williams is my all time favorite. Works well, cheap, and has been around in one form or another longer then anything out there. In my little world it's the best.

chevyguy and mrchick like this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

But you certainly don't claim it is the best product, I hope?

And since the "De Vergulde Hand" soap factory already existed in 1554, I doubt whether Williams "has been around longer [...] than anything out there".

The Palmolive soaps have been around for ages as well, by the way.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

To me it is the best. Williams was the first to make soap cakes for use with mugs and such. At least over here. I know nothing of other places soap history. Palmolive shave soap has not been made in years however. The new formula with palm oil is nothing like the original. It is like burma shave soap. The original was a brushless cream. So saying the soap has anything to do with the original is not right. Williams is still made much as it was even if a slightly different blend.
    Has De whatever it is been making shaving soap that long?

mrchick likes this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Sorry?

That may be true where you live, but not in a large part of the world.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I made a correction to my post. What is called palmolive today is not the same soap at all that was originally produced.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.