July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I know how you feel.I was thinking about getting rid of some of mine, but a majority of my collection is less then common.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm enjoying my coffee&clear stuff. Needed these days.

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0580.JPG
    20 April 2017 So Happy It's Thursday OLD Blade Focus Shave

Pre: A lot of hot water, some soap from the container and a hot towel
    Razor: 1911 Gillette OLD
    Blade: Shark Super Chrome by Lord
    Brush: JJ#1 by @jimjo1031
    Soap: "High Speed" by Regiment Shaving
    Post: Hot/Cold water rinse, alum block, cold towelx2, Dominello Vitali Calming Post Shave Moisturizer
    After Shave: "American Blend" by Fine

This morning's shave was typical of Day 5 shaves of past auditions. There was some drop off in closeness by the auditioning blade. The Shark still delivered a DFS+, but the post shave feel was not as smooth.
    "High Speed" lathered up by JJ#1, was slick, smelled great and left a nice face feel. One more shave for this razor/blade combo tomorrow and then it will be on to the next competitor: PolSilver. This is a new blade for me so I'm looking forward to shaving with it.
    Splashed on some "American Blend", and it was off to work. It was nasty hot in the warehouse yesterday and with the temperature going to top out at 95 today I'm expecting worse. Drank 5 bottles of water. Gonna see if I can make six today.
    Have a good 'un.
    FIRST TEAM! BLACKJACK! BLACK KNIGHTS!!
    HOOAH!!

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This was my first shave with this razor and I'm impressed. I didn't even strop it first and had a wonderful four pass shave. I'm BBS with no irritation. This razor is staying in the rotation
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    RigaRazor
    Lucky Tiger
    Fine American Blend After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

5. Paul Turner

I'm thinking to do a double Stirling, when the Wintergreen soap comes-might pair quite well with the Sandpiper A.S. My shave today was more comforting, with the Gillette Foamy Menthol. Just Spring Training for the Wintergreen :).

6. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Well I'm gaining enough confidence with the straight, to do a couple of passes on workdays without fear of coming into work looking like an unsuccessful lion tamer. There is definitely whisker reduction from two WTG passes, and I am starting to get more comfortable with angles and keeping the blade moving (resultant of a better job retaining the blade angles around curves, chin, etc.) Improvement is definitely happening, although being only about 7 or so shaves in, I'm a long way from achieving a DFS without doing an ATG pass with an aggressive DE. Either way, I'm now way ahead of where I started and improving every shave. I've also found the added bonus that my wife freaks out when she walks into the bathroom and I'm shaving with a straight, so it's kind of a twofer - "shave and a show". Today the combination of my sinus infection, and @Yehuda D's raving about the Stirling Glacials compelled me to pick the Glacial Lemon Chill. I gotta admit, now that I'm prepared for what's coming it is less painful and more cooling than I found it before. I'm not there yet, but I can see this becoming an acquired taste. Maybe I'll put another glacial sample in my next order.
    IMG_1830.JPG

7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

July 20, 2017

Razor: F2 Gillette 195 Adjustable (4)
    Blade: Gillette Rubie PP (3)
    Brush: 30DC LE w/Virginia Sheng Pure Badger
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

I decided to take a break from the Injectors for a couple of days and pull out the Fatboy. Today is really about the maiden cruise of a new brush, however.

I was lucky enough to be one of the early recipients of a 30DC LE handle (thank you again, Jason) but only got around to ordering a knot for it recently. I ended up getting a 23.5mm Pure Badger from Virginia Sheng which arrived early this week. After setting the knot and waiting the appropriate amount of time, I was ready to use it this morning. This is only my second badger brush; the other is a very cheap, floppy Chinese brush.

First impressions- unlike my other badger brush, this one has nice backbone (in retrospect, I probably could have set the knot a little shallower). I was surprised, however, to feel a bit of scratch- not bad, just unexpected. (Do badger brushes break in?) It probably goes without saying that it handled the KMF cream easily and very well. I look forward to some great experiences with this brush.

Overall, a BBS for the day. I had one near mishap setting the razor down near my lip when I could actually feel the blade bite. I'm probably due to spend some time with the DE's again...

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Randy you are making great progress. :happy088: Keep up the good work.

Drygulch, SharptoothC, RyX and 3 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

In my experience badgers don't really break in like a boar brush. The knot does loosen a little with use and splay a little easier. I have never had a Pure badger but my Finest always have a little scritch. Maybe someone that has a Pure badger will chime in as well.

Drygulch, Keithmax, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Congrats on the great progress! I couldn't find a good approach for shaving my neck when I dabbled with straights. I did about six shaves and could do okay on my upper face but my neck was a different story. It ended up not being something I wanted to pursue. But I at least gave it a shot and have lots of respect for those who use them regularly.

11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Kudos on your recruitment to the Dark Side. Let me know if they come across with the promised cookies!

12. BaylorGator

I moved away from pure badger because of the scritch. Different badgers can have wildly different feel, softness, etc. I have a white mountain knot from whipped dog that feels softer than a synthetic, while I have a silvertip from Elite Razor which has no scritch but a lot of backbone and feels more coarse than the WD. I have a Stirling Best that is right in between the two. They are as different from each other as if they were made from different types of animals. Having said that, I do end up reaching for my badgers over synthetic or boars 8 out of 10 shaves.

13. BaylorGator

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the encouragement.

Drygulch, SharptoothC, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Andrew!

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sometime the only answer is Wall-O-Text!

Got to love a Zen Shave. Can't force it, it has to just happen.
    Relax.gif (That's not my graphic, but I did put it up. I enjoy seeing it as your avatar.)

I said mango but the producer, Barber Shop Aid, makers of Fresh Cool Breeze say it's; *Witch Hazel Distillate *Aloe Vera Gel *Tea Tree Oil *Chamomile Extract *Allantoin *Menthol USP *Tangerine and Guava Scent. Funny thing about exotic fruit like mango & guava - their scents surprise me. I have no reference from childhood.

I have a Black Pure Badger from VS (SP➵2 by Jack @Sparrow) and a WD High Mountain Badger (B-400 handle by Tom @twhite, knot courtesy of Clint @clint64). Both are set at around 55mm free loft. They have similar backbone and scritch, the VS is just a little more pricklier.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture and filter Perry.

17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

She sure is purdy:)

18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

July 20

Head & Face

Witch Hazel -pre & post
    Maggard V3A & Utopia handle w/ Bolzano
    Simpson's Commodore x1
    L&L After the Rain cream/croap
    Aqua Velva

I've been trying something new-different variations 3 passes with the grain and maybe a clean up in a few spots. I'm using pretty sharp blades , but not to the level of Feathers. I've done 3 passes straight North to South. 3 passses wtg-two of the passes being at different 45 degree angles. And 1 pass wtg, 1 atg and 1 wtg. I'm still dialing in the best scenario--pass sequence,blade-razor combo, and amount of growth. Here's the thing- I have been getting close comfortable shaves to fine shaves pretty effortlessly. I've had no irritation, and I can shave at least daily for relaxation if I want, but I don't have to. I have ,for years ,not been satisfied unless I was smooth shaven, but my enjoyment has been so much greater lately that close comfortable to fine shaven has been ok. Great shaves everybody!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  19. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

PTFE blades? @clint64 gave me quite a few with the razor. I might have to order more since I'm enjoying it so much.

20. Paul Turner

I have Wintergreen on its way to me. I'm set for the challenge!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.