So my "Sight Unseen" just arrived and I want to clean it up...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kokak, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I just received my "Sight Unseen" from Whipped Dog and I really like it. In fact I like it so much I did a quick cleanup with Toothpaste and a soak in Listerine and have already used it. While the Toothpaste did remove some of the stuff, I would like to polish this up a bit, just for looks.
    I already straightened the Scales with some Bamboo toothpicks and a Hot Water soak. While I am not expecting a mirror finish, I would like to remove most of the darkened spots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was thinking of using a couple of different grads of rubbing compound and a few Dremel buffing wheels. Any and all suggestions would be welcomed. Even if your suggestion is to leave it be, please let me know what you think.
    From what I can tell this is a:
    Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett Co. "Rattler" 9/16". The shave was AWESOME, btw...

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wish I had some constructive advice. In the mean time, I am subscribing to your thread because I want to learn too. Good luck with the clean up. Just be careful.

BeShaved, MR41, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

I just looked into he sight unseen also. I may pull the trigger on one also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX, Kokak and Jayaruh like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Motorized spinning wheels and razor sharp objects are dangerous mix, BE VERY CAREFUL.

wristwatchb, BeShaved, RyX and 4 others like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Black rust is what you're looking at. The severity won't be known until you begin removing the surface gunk and see how deep the pitting is beneath. Wet/dry sandpaper 200-400 grit with lubricant(wd40) will remove a good deal it. You can follow up with higher grits (3k+) if you wish to remove scratches and continue to polish. Soften the scratches before moving up to the next grit.

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

What @HolyRollah said. Also be very careful with a dremel. Make sure that you keep the blade from becoming to hot, which can heat the scales, which isn't good. Keep the wheel turning spine to edge. One little slip and you can easily trash the blade and injure yourself in the process. Don't ask me how I know these things,

7. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Another thing to consider,at least for me, is that buffing or sanding usually leads to it needing to be honed. I would just shave with it for a while, and tackle cleaning it up when you have another to use in the meantime..

wristwatchb, BeShaved, RezDog and 6 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would first apply a couple of layers of blue painters tape to the edge. You don't want it ruined, or dulled, while trying to clean it. Then, I would use a stainless steel brush, to clean the rust. You will have a better idea of the severity of the pitting, after black rust is removed.

Billyfergie, Kokak and Spyder like this.
  9. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

That looks terrible. Wouldn't you do better on an auction site for the cash?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Be careful to not touch the edge when you are removing the spots, the whole point of this razor is that you are getting a shave ready edge.

wristwatchb, BeShaved, Kokak and 2 others like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Don't take this worng; this is the very reason I will recommend a new shave ready straight or vintage you can see from a reputable seller. The buy-sell-trade for example.
    Most of us like our razors to be purdy :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@Kodak, there's some great advice. Be sure not to damage the cutting edge. I like the suggestion about putting painters tape on the edge to protect it during the cleanup. Take it slowly and don't be too concerned if it's not perfect. Post up pictures of your results.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very good advise. Just use it as as learning tool. Knock a little rust off, be careful of the edge, and realize it's never going to be a showcase queen.

Keithmax, Jim99, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Most honemiesters charge between $20-$30 (with shipping) to put a shaving edge on a razor. So this is definitely worth while. If I decide to do anything, which right now I probably won't, I will tape up the edge.
    BTW, the edge on this is very smooth and combined with the size, makes for a great shaver.

BeShaved, Keithmax, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Larry of Whipped Dog razor sells these "Sight Unseen". You don't get to pick which one, but there's opportunity to have a conversation with him to specify characteristics. If you are a first time SR user he'll pick out a 5/8 round point, hone it to shave ready, and ship it in short order. The "sight unseen" does include less than restored quality, but the prices are decent as is the edge. He does also offer specific photographed razors if the "grab bag" doesn't suit your aesthetic needs.

If you can accept the patina as is, I'd suggest enjoying the edge. Keep it stropped, touch up with your Barber's hone. When it's time to send it out to be refreshed, then do the wet sandpaper progression polish before you mail it away.

16. jaxstraww

The stuff holyroller had on sale earlier this month and what roctraitor over on Reddit sells as site unseen seem like a much better option than this one unless it was practically free. Maybe just a bad pick of the litter but I'd never go that route looking at that blade.

BeShaved, Jim99, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  17. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input@jaxstraww; but if we can keep this thread on topic, I would be appreciative. This thread was asking the question about how to clean up a razor that has some black rust on it.
    Thanks for all the input guys... keep the suggestions coming...

18. jaxstraww

You got it brother. Here is my 2ยข on cleaning up the razor.

1. Take razor and put back in box
    2. Return to sender
    3. Use refund to buy new razor without black rust

There you go. No more black rust.

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's an example of evident blade rust & corrosion (much worse) and the attempt to remove it. Because of the severity, I started with a coarser grit (100)...
    [​IMG]
    Following the 100grit > 180 > 240 > 400 >600 >800 >1000

Rust is gone as well as some of the pitting. Not perfect as the deep pitting remains
    Plenty of elbow grease will eventually get the results you're after....or reasonably close. This is a rather extreme example of a razor in bad shape ($7 on eBay) but redeemable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

You sir are an artist and I am proud to own a couple of the blades you have restored.

brit, RyX and Billyfergie like this.