Merkur HD 34C and Rockwell 6S

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gary Drainville, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Gary Drainville

Gary Drainville Active Member

So yesterday I picked up my Merkur by mistake thinking it was my Rockwell - I know, it was early in the morning. As a beginner this really highlighted how technique with these razors is important for a good shave. I noticed with the Merkur I take greater care than with the Rockwell.

Technique is even more critical with vintage razors. Member Bookworm responded to my WTB post with a very generous offer of a 1963 Slim adjustable I-3 - what a great exchange of PM's. I'm loving my birthyear razor. This razor requires my careful attention if I want a great shave. I'm now thinking that it may be a mistake to start with the 6S as I didn't pay too much attention to technique.

Thanks for reading this newbies thoughts! Have a great weekend!

Gary

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Technique Trump's Tools. Having your birth year razor is special.

3. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a birth year!

I'm sure I need to work on my technique more but as Ive started to work through some new pick ups and the acquisition of an Alum block for the first time I'm quickly reminded to take my time and mind my angles. I recently tried a Red Tip for the first time combined with a new blade and had this been an earlier shave for me I may not have kept the same interest. Luckily I have been using a flare for over a month and know how how much better of a shave I can get if I do my part. I tried my red tip again this morning, it was less eventful but still a bit rougher than I had hoped. Hoping I can figure it out next time or maybe switch to a different blade to see how it treats me.

If you haven't done so try the 30DC to help work on technique. I made it most the way through and ran out of 1 type of blade. I just got a 100 pack of 7 O'clock yellows so I should be set for a while.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Congratulations on getting your birth year razor.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Gary Drainville likes this.
  5. Gary Drainville

Thanks for the response. When I get my shave right I feel like a million bucks going out the door! However, when I get it wrong I feel much better than when I used a disposable razor - and the various aftershaves I've purchased makes up for my poor shave. What is it about the 30DC that helps with technique?

Gary

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Gary Drainville

Thanks. I must say that using a 54 year old razor is pretty awesome and I was amazed how slick the transaction was - I asked and I got it in no time. This is a great forum with what looks like some awesome members.

Gary

RaZorBurn123, Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Mindset, skill-set, then tool-set....

Enjoy your razor.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yeah Gary it's pretty amazing how these old and forgotten razor pop right back into action.
    TSD is most definitely the friendliest spot on the interweb.
    Happy shaving!.
    Kerry

Gary Drainville likes this.
  9. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I have the same/similar three razors (6C instead of 6S) except my Slim is a '66. So far, I find my Rockwell is the best for me. I can shave with all three. One thing I find is they all need a different handle angle to get the same blade angle and this needs to be done to get the same shave experience. All three are great razors. I always grab any one of the 7 I own and place it cap flat to my face with no blade contact. I then rotate until the blade just touches. Only time this technique hasn't worked is when I do the same with my straight razor, Ouch!! I am learning the hard way that you cannot place the blade of an SR and then adjust. I have been 'learning' that one needs to be placed flat and then lifted :). Still learning which is half the fun of this hobby.

Congrats on the birth year razor.

All the best.

10. Gary Drainville

Thanks for the post Fly2High. I'm going to try your technique by putting the cap flat to my face and then adjust - sounds like that might work for me too. My 1963 Slim is awesome, loving it. I enjoy the comments from my in-laws who were visiting - the stories that revolve around "my Grandfather or my father used to shave with one of those" is always nice. And you're right, learning this hobby is half the fun!

11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

12. Gary Drainville

Thank you Frank, I'll check that out - have an awesome weekend!

Gary