Vintage vs New

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by whispers76, Jul 23, 2017.

1. whispers76

whispers76 Member

I am just getting ready to start wet shaving, so not even a newbie for another week or so. I like the idea of a mid 50's Gillette Super Speed, but am a little worried that if I bought a vintage to start with and there happened to be something wrong with it, I wouldn't know it. Maybe that makes little sense. On the other hand, if I buy a Merkur 34c or something new, I will know it is me and not the razor if I have issues and then once I have some experience I can delve into vintage razors.

Any idea or suggestions?

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I'm assuming you have shaved before in some capacity, but you should be able to tell upon receiving the razor. Really, it is a simple device that holds a razor.
    Your technique, on the other hand, can make worlds of difference. Watch videos first, then use proper angles to shave.

RyX likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD!
    Check the Classifieds in The Marketplace here on TSD. If you purchase a razor from a member there's the expectation of peer review. You won't likely get a clunker.
    The Newbie Give-away you signed up for gives a chance at a nice Gillette Slim.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am a vintage type. I very rarely hear of a vintage raxor someone buys having issues. That is non adjustables anyway. You can pick up a nice superspeed pretty cheap. Check out @Linuxguile store too. Getting a razor from him takes all the worry out of it.

Linuxguile, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

For what it is worth - I started with the Merkur 34c. Its an excellent razor. I use it often to this day. However - I will say that as I gained more experience and became comfortable that my technique was sound - I purchased a vintage Gillette Fatboy razor and love it. The Merkur 34c and the Fatboy make up for probably 90% of my shaves. I have several other razors which I use every so often but they are not my go to razors.

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm a Fat Boy fan, too. Having visited every thrift store, antique shop, and flea market within an hours ride has netted me somewhere around a dozen of them. Soon as I find another I get it into the hands of the next eager owner. Of those, only one had an issue - stuck adjuster. Of the other vintage Gillettes kicking around - Flare tips, Red tips, Blue tips, Starburst (Lady Gillettes), and SuperSpeeds - all were functional. Less moving parts means less to go bad. Even a couple 3 piece DEs I've picked up are in usable shape. I could just be lucky, but I think it's more that Gillette used good quality brass and heavy nickle plating.
    When / if you check your local shops don't be shy about opening up the doors on those crusty used razors. Watch for blades left in them. I've encountered a couple. A soak in Dawn and hot water followed by a tooth brush scrub generally shines them right up. Couple drops of mineral oil is the perfect lubrication.

AGHisBBS, Col C and Jim99 like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I really feel that there are only 4 razors any newbie should consider: Gillette Fatboy, Gillette slim, Gillette tech, or an Edwin Jagger de89

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Fatboys are sooooo overvalued IMO. When there are alternatives aplenty newbies should not pay a premium for a razor whose market price is inflated by collectors and hoarders despite its ubiquity (I know, you might get one for $8 at Mamie's Antiques but that's beside the point) . I also think it's better to learn technique on a non adjustable razor. I'd recommend a brass Tech, a Schick Krona, or a Rockwell 2C. Or buy all three for the price of the Fatty.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    178-bplatoon, RyX and Jim99 like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

I personally prefer vintage to modern. However, I found that my first couple of vintage purchases were not the best off of Ebay. I didn't know exactly what I was looking for and fell for the whole got to win it now thing Ebay pushes. I paid a bit much for what I got. They weren't bad razors, but they cost me more than I now would pay.

A couple of people have mentioned buying off the classifieds in this forum, and I would second that for a first vintage purchase. You will get a much better assessment of a razor and a decent price to match.

For what it's worth, I started with a Razorock Mission razor, which is a clone of a DE89. I certainly don't have any regrets about that path.

Screwtape, jtspartan, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I prefer the '40s style Super Speed (I have probably better than a half-dozen of each style), the '48-'49 being the best of the lot (next to my '41 Ranger Tech). I have three Fatboys, and all three have been passed on to my grandsons (along with my three Slims). Out of the nearly 80 razors in my collection, more than 90% have been ebay buys...and have great luck with all. Next best would be the post-war ball-end Tech, with the Schick Krona beside it.

11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

The SS is a great razor that can be found at a really good price. The Merkur is also an excellent option. You could get both and either rotate them in use or keep the one you like best and sell the other.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

macaronus and RyX like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

As everyone has stated, you can easily get a solid vintage razor easily enough. Gillette super speeds and techs are easily found and at reasonable prices.

When I first started, my first DE was a VDH that I bought at Target. I then went with a Merkur 34C and loved it. Next was an Edwin Jagger and loved it too. Several months later, I stumbled on this forum and I took the plunge into vintage razors. I use vintage DEs, SEs, injectors and SRs now.

Go with what you're comfortable with first, whether new or vintage, build your technique and then try other razors. It is a great hobby and it's fun trying both new and vintage razors.

Welcome to The Shave Den!

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm a Gillette Fatboy fan too. But, for a first razor, go with a nice clean looking GILLETTE SuperSpeed. They are about bulletproof, and inexpensive.

Screwtape, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome.

Pardon me, but something you said made me think about a question. You said if you bought a vintage and something was wrong with it, you wouldn't know.
    Well, would you know if something was wrong with a new one?
    Several times people report having to send new ones back for fit or finish.
    I think your ok either way. Being sound mechanically is pretty easy to notice, if the blade loads evenly and smoothly, it's just about that easy.

15. whispers76

whispers76 Member

I hadn't thought of that. The marketplace is a great idea. The giveaway would be very helpful but I never win things like that. Thank you for your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macaronus, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've got about 50 vintage razors but, to be honest, as much as I enjoy the vintage razors I find my new razors generally shave better. I have a DE89, Maggard V1, Merkur Progress, Merkur 39c slant and an Ikon 102 slant. You're choice if the Merkur 34c is excellent.

Herm

Screwtape, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you for the plug, Fuzzy! I do inspect all of the razors that I put in my shop and try to point out any flaws that I see in them. Having a personal collection of well over 50 razors(probably approaching 100 :ashamed001:), both modern and vintage, and shaving with each of them I can tell you that getting a vintage razor that is not mechanically sound is quite rare. Once you get a razor, any razor, it is far far more important to work on your technique. If you like, I will send you this razor and two tucks of blades to get you started. the only condition that I would ask is that you join us over at the 30 day thread where you can really work on your technique for your first month of wet shaving. After that, if you want to look for something a little prettier, maybe you will consider coming back to my shop :signs136:. If you are interested shoot me a private message.

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Buy a vintage Gillette from a good seller, maybe pickup a Super Speed and go at it.
    Welcome to the den!!

RyX likes this.
  19. whispers76

whispers76 Member

Thanks for the mention of his store. After a quick look it seems a great option.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  20. whispers76

whispers76 Member

You make a great point. Even in good quality products, manufacturing defects happen. I hadn't considered it but logically a vintage from a reputable seller might even be more likely to be sound. That and I was hoping the advice would lean towards a vintage option.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017