Gillette Bulldog Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bscarpenter, Jul 26, 2017.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

After using my new ~100 yr old Gillette Bulldog (won in the mini-raffle) for a week, here are my first impressions with this razor ( it is also my first shave with an Old Type):

A little background:
    The Gillette Bulldog was made from 1914 - 1924. It is a DE, 3 Piece, Open Comb, Old Type with a spiral knurled handle. The 1st Bulldog was made for the Chief of the company to meet his desire for a Beefy Stocky bulldog handle. In oval case of grey antique leather, 2 steel blade boxes, 12 blades. Offered in Sears Roebuck catalog 1920 in purple line case, cardboard blade boxes.

The experience:
    The handle feels good in the hand. It is a thick burly handle that is very well balanced with the head. I loaded the razor with a Gillette Silver Blue Blade. When I first started shaving with it, I thought that it was the most aggressive DE razor that I have used. I was VERY careful to "ride the cap" on my first shave because of how aggressive the blade felt in this beast. The blade seems to sit right up against the guard and feels like it is less forgiving than other vintage Gillette DE razors; however, I did find that the razor to be as efficient as any DE. I had several days growth to mow down. As the week progressed, I did try slightly changing angles and degrees of riding the cap. I found that the razor was no more aggressive, but overall the shave was just a little more rough than other more modern DEs. In the end as with all vintage razors, it is really neat to hold a piece of history in my hand and use it like it's been used for 100yrs before me.

I would like to thank all of the great people here at TSD because if it weren't for everyone keeping this place going, I would not have had the opportunity to shave with this fine razor and have it in my den. I would specifically like to thank @Queen of Blades and the Mods for holding it all together and everyone who supports TSD in their raffles to keep the lights on.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Picture?
    I hear you about shaving with something 100+ years old. I'm currently auditioning blades in my 1911 Single Ring OLD.
    IMG_0661.JPG
    LOVE this razor

3. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

FaceScraper and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

FaceScraper likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If you can get your hands on a Wade & Butcher curved blade, you will be amazed at how it works in this razor. The older blades were thicker than modern blades. It is still a great razor if you learn to ride the cap a bit.
    IMG_2740.jpg

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    FaceScraper likes this.