How much more quick are products like witch hazel at healing inflammation or razor burn?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by SlaveShaver, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

I've been told I have residual inflammation (not sure if that is the same as razor burn or something else) above my lip. I have had it for about two years but it is getting progressively worse as new patches seem to come and go or stay, presumably because I am still unable to shave properly without causing further inflammation. If I go for a few weeks without shaving, it seems to heal a bit. Presumably, if I went long enough without shaving (maybe 1.5 to 2 months) it may heal completely, but I don't want to go long without shaving (I can't stand not shaving for long periods of time because my facial hair makes me look like a creep).

I am wondering about how much more quickly it would heal if I was to use a product like witch hazel or nivea sensitive post-shave balm. I saw quite a few people in another thread who said that their razor burn healed well when using these products, but they never specify how much quicker the inflammation heals when using them when compared to using nothing at all. Has anyone tested this? Does your shaving-induced inflammation heal quicker when using these products, and if so, how much quicker? Are we talking like days or weeks? Because if so, I might try using these daily for my inflammation.

jimjo1031 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Witch hazel is great stuff its definitely worth a try. I actually had a persistent rash on my leg for 6+ months. I tried every over the counter ointment and cream I could find. Stubborn I know, I should have just gone to the dermatologist. I decided to try some witch hazel. I applied it twice a day and after 4 days the rash was gone. Another thing you could try, is just try shaving the inflamed area one pass with the grain.

RaZorBurn123 and SlaveShaver like this.
  3. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Wow, that is an incredible difference. I will try witch hazel. It's just the only one they seem to sell in Australian pharmacies has 30% alcohol, which I would rather not use (I was reading on a dermatology website that alcohol can make the inflammation worse), so I will order some online I think. Do you have a recommendation for a good brand?

And yes, I only do one shave WTG, but I think I am still repeatedly inflaming the area despite doing that, which I'm pretty sure is the reason that it is not healing. I said in another thread it may be because I am shaving too frequently and not giving enough time for my skin to recover. (I've ruled out other possible causes because holding everything constant I get good shaves with no irritation or increased inflammation when going for a few weeks without shaving).

RaZorBurn123 and Linuxguile like this.
  4. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Just thinking, if it healed the rash on your leg, do you think witch hazel might also be a good cure for folliculitis? I have it all over my thighs (a dermatologist said the likely cause was that I wear too tight-fitting pants) and it is not going away.

RaZorBurn123 and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Most of the witch hazed here in the US is 14% alcohol which is just a natural byproduct of the distillation. It has no ill effects and doesn't even cause a stinging sensation.

6. Linuxguile

Again, couldn't hurt to try. I find it very soothing. I make my own after shaves now using witch hazel, everclear, some aloe, clycerine, vitamin E oil, Castor oil, and essential oil for fragrance. I find it very soothing and has a great skin feel.

7. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and let you know the results.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Grow a mustache.
    That solves one part of your problem.
    Handlebars look nice. Or an RAF type.

Tiredricefarmer and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I like to use an alum block and an aftershave balm after my shave. Helps soothe and cool things down right after you rinse. Try Nivea for Sensitive Skin. I also like Proraso Blue (Vitamin E and Aloe) and Musgo Real Classic Aftershave Balm. Aloe and vitamin E were definitely my best pals when I struggled early on. You might go get some of that.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Are all witch hazels sold as toners? All the witch hazels I've seen advertised seem to be toners. Is that the one I want?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. Linuxguile

Some are sold as toners some as topical astringents(these are both the same product, marketed for different uses):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a store brand:
    [​IMG]

All pretty much the same thing. There are some brands with no alcohol, but usually double the price

Terry Williams and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds more like a skin condition not necessarily related to shaving.
    I'm no doctor, but I would see one if I was you.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Witch Hazel won't help your folliculitis. Your doc should have given you a script. Tea tree oil may help. @swarden43 is correct, you need to see a dermatologist preferably. Try wearing looser clothing as well. Folliculitis is typically caused by excess sweat as well. You could also ask the pharmacist at your local drug store about solutions.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Yes, I've seen a dermatologist about the inflammation above my lip and he was saying that it was residual inflammation from shaving too close, and that it will pause the healing if I keep doing the same thing over the inflamed area. So he recommended using an electric shaver because it doesn't shave as close, but I didn't find that really helped with the inflammation (and may have made it worse), and it actually caused a lot of ingrown hairs (or large pimples, couldn't tell). So I stopped.

What I don't understand about his diagnosis is that I only shave WTG, and often the area gets more inflamed in instances wear I don't even have a close shave. So it's not like it's being caused by really close shaves or something. Although in the past when trying ATG shaving, in some instances it has caused big red patches to appear immediately.

Yeah, a dermatologist told me to just wear looser-fitting clothing for a few months and to see if it healed. I usually only wear slim pants, not skinny, but I was going through a period where I was sweating in them a lot which probably didn't help things. He said if it didn't heal that we could then try some topical antibiotics, which he didn't want to give me at first due to the risk of them being overused and allowing the bacteria to become more resistant. I would rather not use antibiotics as well and find some other solution.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Have you ever used them on razor burn or inflammation? Or do you just use them to prevent that stuff in the first place? If you have used it to treat razor burn or whatever, does it usually heal it much quicker for you, and how much quicker?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Witch Hazel won't hurt, I use it everyday. Great stuff to have around for a number of good issues.

Terry Williams likes this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You can try Benzoyl Peroxide washes. Like I said, talk to your local pharmacist as well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  18. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Alum will be uncomfortable (i.e. sting like Hell) if your razor burn is moderate or worse. It does work as an astringent, but if you are having trouble, then you might avoid alum. I generally don't use it if I have really bad razor burn. I agree with others that Witch Hazel will probably be a better astringent if your razor burn is really bad. But, your face will be heavily exfoliated and you will want to use something that will help close up the pores of your skin. After that, then I use a balm which will add some moisture back into my skin and help relieve the burn. I like aloe or aloe-based balms for this and/or Nivea for Sensitive Skin; white cap, inexpensive at your local druggist or big box retailer.

19. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

From what I can understand, witch hazel is good for healing inflammation, and folliculitis is inflammation of the hair follicle. So, therefore, it seems reasonable to suggest that it could work, wouldn't you say?

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good for surface inflammation - razor burn , sun burn, minor scrapes.
    Not for internal or under the skin inflammation, where the follicle is. Also why it does nothing to soothe muscle or nerve irritation/inflammation; enter ibuprofen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.