POLL; Would you visit TSD without tapatalk?

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, Jul 28, 2017.

?

Would you visit TSD without tapatalk?

1. Yes. Spend the extra income here.

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. I'd return, but probably less than if we kept tapatalk.

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. No. If tapatalk goes, I go.

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Don't use tapatalk don't care.

61 vote(s)
    70.9%
  1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Tapatalk makes it very easy to follow various forums, and to get updates from them. Besides, indeed, uploading and posting photos via Tapatalk is a breeze.

2. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I don't use it, when I'm on a device I access it via web browser just fine.

At the beginning of the year there was a discussion (that I think was deleted) about the hosting and other costs associated with running this site, and possibly bringing money via ads, subscriptions or contest raffles... if tapatalk is cutting into the revenue keeping the site online I think it should go. Looking at the early results of the poll it only affects a small portion of users and it would be a shame to lose a few people but if it's for the greater good then so be it.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    For PMs, you can link to an image, but posting pics in PMs could possibly eat up a lot of resources for the forum. I'm by no means an expert but that's my thinking on the subject anyways. Sparky would know more.

For threads, I don't understand what the issue your describing is. Is the pic too big?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Trying to load pictures into a thread states file too large. If I use tapatalk to do it I don't have to do anything but upload and select if I want small, medium , or large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Queen of Blades

Okay, same as Linuxguile posted.

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I always get the "file too large " message...But if I pull the same photo from "my photo stream" rather than "camera roll" I have NO PROPLEMS....Also if I crop a photo, I have no probs with the Carama roll photos either....
    I don't think using photos in PMs is a goid idea; unless using a photo sharing server...because it wastes our forum resources....at least thats my understanding....You have to share those photos with the rest he class, young man..:rolleyes005:

Jorvaljr likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i log in on my pc,never used it.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    To answer the OP's question: I have been since March 13, 2014.

Interesting. Why must you "keep all of your Forums in one place"? What is that place?

I am guessing the auto-resize is the reason. Since I am on a laptop, I simply reduce my photos to a size that I know TSD will accept. It's not difficult for me. Can't speak to the difficulty as it relates to others. Again, I say save the money and drop it. Indeed, I am tired of the Tapatalk window appearing every time I log in on my iPhone.

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This. ^^^^

This exactly. ^^^^

10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Excellent feedback. Thank you.

11. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I want to start a poll: Does anyone besides me still use a camera and a computer? It is sooooooo easy to upload pictures this way.

12. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem posting pics. I just snap one, text it to myself, and post. Doing so automatically resizes the file...

13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I don't think the class cares if I'm trading / selling/ bragging to others.. lol

Bird Lives and dustmite like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nope. iPhone>laptop>site.
    I used to use a camera, but I prefer the expediency of simply emailing my iphone photos to my laptop in the other room rather than via a camera cable.

dustmite likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

I am not saying this to be argumentative, but with Tapa you don't have to e mail anything anywhere. You just point and click, so to speak.

Ultimately, as far as I am concerned, I say whatever the gang wants, let's do it. For me personally, it doesn't matter, it's about the group as a whole. Whether I post more or less, or not at all, won't have much effect on the forum overall.

I hope there is a way to track views, posts and revenue for changes that are made. I just feel like most of us old farts aren't getting any younger, and as the father of two very young adults, (18-21) app based access is the path to take, not shy away from.

Linuxguile and jaxstraww like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I do post-production in Photoshop, hence my particular need for the laptop.
    But I understand the convenience of the 'point & click' which you describe.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

One other thing. Images uploaded via tapatalk aren't hosted by tsd, they are hosted on tapatalk's servers. Maybe a small justification for the price being paid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mrchick likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm a bright enough fellow, I somehow figured out a way to vote as soon as I saw a post mentioning the poll. Thanks for your insights. Your snide attitude ("most of us read the comments", "read more carefully") are not appreciated. I'm done here, my opinion is clear to the mods.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    jaxstraww and PickledNorthern like this.
  19. Queen of Blades

I don't know. When pics go missing here, because they aren't hosted here, it can be detrimental to TSD as an educational tool. Look at any of our stickies that are missing pics.

20. PickledNorthern

And your pics totally show it.

I already feel guilty about the time I spend here.....

Someday.

Linuxguile likes this.