Ever-Ready Fethabrush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by bladeshark, Aug 2, 2017.

1. bladeshark

bladeshark Well-Known Member

Feathers instead of Badger/Boar. Really?

fethabrush1.jpg fethabrush2.jpg fethabrush4.jpg fethabrush3.jpg

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I never heard of such a thing. Is it yours? Have you tried it? How does it work?

3. bladeshark

Yep, it's mine. I seems to be NOS so I don't think I will use it. I don't think I want to use it anyway. :)

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Any idea what kind of feathers?

5. bladeshark

I just found out the brush was likely made in 1941 - War time rationing? It was "made with real downy goose feathers". The picture is also a fethabrush but it looks like a different handle style.

fethabrush_ad-1941.jpg

AGHisBBS, Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  6. bladeshark

This looks to be the brush in the ad above. Note this one doesn't say it's an Ever-Ready. Maybe they were bought out or a subsidiary. Model 195F (likely for Feather) and selling for $1.95

195s-1_1.jpg 195s-1_2.jpg

AGHisBBS and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. bladeshark

HOW TO OBTAIN BEST RESULTS FROM YOUR FETHABRUSH

1. Saturate the brush thoroughly. Dipping does this better than holding under faucet. Feathers require more water than ordinary brushes and so produce an exceptionally quick foaming lather.

2. Spot two or three dabs of shaving cream on your face - one on each cheek and one under the chin.

3. Work up lather with saturated Fethabrush as you would with an ordinary brush.

4. Rub in the lather with your fingers as a barber does.

5. After shaving rinse feathers thoroughly. Swish back and forth in clear water until every trace of lather is removed. This will prevent soap rot and prolong the life of the brush.

6. Shake vigorously and hang to dry with feathers down.

PTD IN U.S.A. AMERICAN SAFETY RAZOR CORPORATION, BROOKLYN, N.Y.

AGHisBBS, Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  8. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Fascinating. But when you realize how much abuse the old feather dusters took it does make sense that they would also work as a shaving brush.

Douglas Carey and bladeshark like this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

I'm not sure about the rationing part. The ad shown is from December 11, 1941, four days after Pearl Harbor, so it seems a bit early. I suppose, however, that there may have been disruptions in badger and boar supply due to hostilities elsewhere.

I tried looking for the patent last night but had no luck.

10. bladeshark

I totally agree with you John, this likely would have been due to supply shortages, not rationing that came later. The handle design is common to a number of makers during WWII and would have been the one approved for military use. They likely put the feathers in these and sold them to civilians at the time, or perhaps after the war to civilians from surplus handle stock. Strange one for sure. I can't imagine it would make for a pleasant shaving experience.

11. John Ruschmeyer

I saw thread from another forum where someone tried it and found it to be soft. I imagine a lot would depend on what part of the goose the feathers came from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Chicken feathers, I betcha.

(I'd try it, send it to me and I'll file a report)

13. John Ruschmeyer

Post #5 shows and ad from 1941 which says its goose feathers. Obviously, they are not down feathers. From what I can find on the Web, I'd say they are either Goose Nagoire or Goos Coquille feathers. Quoting from moonlightfeather.com:
    So, kids, it should be possible to run down to A.C. Moore or Michaels and pick up some. Anybody got an idea how to bind them into a brush knot?

bladeshark likes this.
  14. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Cool find.

If it were mine, I would definitely be trying that out!
    I bet it would surprise you.