Black market razors

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

And people are surprised by this? Folks go and create a feeding frenzy to boost the price through the roof. It works, which encourages entrepreneurs to make replica Wolfman and BBS razors. Sure, they could make their own, but they would not sell for nearly so much money. The counterfeiters go where the money is. It's like saying why don't people who make replica Rolex watches make their own brand watches instead. It won't be long before small factories in China start churning out replica razors, if they have not done so already. I am not saying copying someone else's designs is morally right, because it's not. As long as the replicas work as well as the originals, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Five hundred dollars for a razor? Seriously? That is just plain silly, unless the razor has a jade or ivory handle, or is made out of sterling silver.

Demidog likes this.
  2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

No the Sterling silver razor is $2000... At least the one I saw at Merchant and Rhoades was. And it was just a Mach 3 handle.

People have more money than sense sometimes but hey if they want to give someone that much money I guess it's their right. Free market I guess

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Demidog and Shaver X like this.
  3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

You should see how much the LASSCO BBS-1 goes for on eBay... $800

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Two to five hundred bucks for a handle to hold a razor blade! Oh I forgot, it's cheaper to use a DE, those darn carts are just too expensive.

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

At $5 per cartridge, that's 100 carts. 100 DE blades for $20. after using up 100 DE blades, you pay another $20. After using up 100 carts, you pay another $500.

Shaver X likes this.
  6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

And they expect people not to ridicule such absurd overpricing? I know it's a free market and all, but that is just plain silly even for eBay.

A wee bit of bitterness? Greatly overpriced safety razor handles don't make greatly overpriced cartridges any less expensive. There are many fine bargains to be had in traditional shaving, but also some things that are very poor value for the money. Cartridges gave me good shaves, at least the Trac II, but cartridges are way too pricey for a lot of people. It was Fusion cartridge sticker shock that made me turn to a safety razor. There are countless introductory posts on the shaving forums stating the same thing.

Demidog likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not my carts. They're 35 cents each.

8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Right, but you're one of the cheap bastards :) We were talking about people that would drop $500 clams on a razor handle. They'd be buying $5 cartridges.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep.