Question from a newbie

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Gobucks, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

Hi everyone,
    So I have a question or 2 about a shaving brush. I have learned the best way to understand an get the most out of things is to ask people who know no matter what.
    My question's are how long does a brush last? And what is the most important thing about the brush?
    I have a very low price brush I bought from sterling soap for about 10 bucks and used it for the last week and noticed it is getting it wear fast!!
    I am smart enough to realize a better brush should be more then 10 bucks!!
    So what suggestions for mid price 30-50 bucks would you suggest?
    I do enjoy the soap and love the lather and scent everyday!!
    Thanks again for your input!!
    Have a great day.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den! A $10 brush is just as good as a $50 brush, are you referring to Stirling new boar brush? If so, it'll last a lifetime with proper cleaning and drying.
    It's a great time to be a wet shaver, many different vendors sell great brushes for under $20. It's up to what you like.

Terry Williams, Jim99 and lightcs1776 like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Post a picture of the brush. If it's a boar brush, then it's not wear, but it's breaking in. Boar brushes go though a break in period over a dozen or so uses. They get softer and hold more soap through the break in period.

lightcs1776 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

A lot depends on what the brush is made from. A good boar brush can be obtained for $20 or less. A good synthetic can go under $10 on sale.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 and Jim99 like this.
  5. rreynoso72

rreynoso72 New Member

Hi, I am relatively new to wet shaving but I can tell you that I paid about that for my Omega Pro 49 boar brush and 1 year later is in very good condition. If your brush is shedding a lot, maybe you got a defective one. Maybe you can try contact the seller for a refund.

Enviado desde mi 5010G mediante Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Boar brushes also splay during the break in period. That's natural and not a sign of wear.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

A brush should last your lifetime...sometimes you purchase a shedder and those are really the exception. Sounds like you purchased a boar brush. Nothing wrong with that but I recommend you try a Badger. Sterlings badgers are not expensive but perform exceptionally well. Welcome by the way and I hope all of these suggestions help. Take care and enjoy the wetshaving journey.

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've got a best badger brush I picked up for $30 ish dollars 8 or so years ago. It's as good today as it was when I received it. Point= brushes last. Because they last, it makes sense to get exactly what you want.

9. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Many of the brushes I use daily are over a half century old.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I would be VERY interested to see a brush that is showing "wear" after only 10 uses. What is your loading technique?

Jim99 likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0920.JPG Rubberset 303 I found at the fleamarket. Somewhere between 1957 and the '70's. Still goin' strong to the hoop!

Jim99 and rreynoso72 like this.
  13. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

For the most part any new brush that you buy today should last many years before you notice that it is starting to wear out. Price can really be just about the materials used. There are great brushes from Omega that are less than $10. Don't count them out. I love my Omega boar 10066. It took a little while to break in, but it is a strong lather producer. I like synthetics, too. Synths are a lot cheaper, but every bit as good as expensive badger brushes, IMHO. If I spend a lot on a brush these days, it is because it is from one of the custom brush makers.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

All good stuff here, but if you can, as @Jim99 mentioned above, post a pic or at least tell what brush it is.

Jim99 likes this.
  15. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

A good brush, whether expensive or inexpensive, with proper use and care, will easily last a lifetime. I currently have my great-grandfathers boar and it's just nicely broken in.

Terry Williams likes this.