August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharptoothC and Norcalnewb like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great B&W shot, Clint! The Option 5 isn't a favorite? It is a unique looking razor.

clint64 and SharptoothC like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Mark!

clint64 and SharptoothC like this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I have both the Pure2O soaps, the Vetiver and the DFS. I bought them when I was putting an order in with Connaught Shaving. I tried finding reviews of them before buying and had very little luck, so I more or less took a leap in the dark on them.

Back in June my Focus was trying out all the soaps I have stashed away in my hoard and I tried both Pure2O soaps and did mini reviews of them. This was on June 6 and 7, posts 568 and 643 in the June 30 Day thread.

Here's what I said about them:

Today's soap [Pure2O DFS] is much like the Nuavia vegan ones in having a list of top, middle and bottom notes as long as your arm that go to make up a complex scent. I have a nose about as unlike a trained bloodhound's as you can get. All I can say about the scent is that it was strong both in the tub and in the lather and smelled sort of like spicy, floral citrus. Whatever is in it, it's good stuff.

The soap itself is a medium soft soap that loads quickly onto a damp brush and makes a lot of lather while using relatively little product. It's a very good tallow soap that provided excellent glide and protection and left a soft, clean, hydrated but non-greasy face feel behind. I used the leftover lather as a balm I rubbed on my face and left for a few minutes while cleaning up, and I felt no need for any other balm afterwards.

And the Vetiver:
    Tonight's soap was the Vetiver version of the newer Pannacrema tallow soap line, Pure2O. Performance was much the same as last night - quick to load on a slightly damp brush, easy to lather, and good shave performance and face feel. I drizzled in too much water tonight and ended up with lather that was soupier and runnier than I like, but it still provided all the slip, glide and protection that I needed. A two pass shave with no touch ups gave me a BBS without any irritation. I used the leftover lather as a balm and am enjoying a hydrated but non-greasy face now.

Unlike the DFS offering and, from what I hear, Pannacrema's Nuavia Blu, Rossa and Verde, the Vetiver scent is not at all complex. So far as I can tell, it smells solely, purely, and quite strongly of vetiver. In the tub, on the brush, and then in the lather, it gave out a strong scent reminiscent of a newly mown field of a spicy grass. I quite enjoyed it.

I will be keeping both Pure2O soaps, using them regularly, and probably replacing them if and when they run out.

Hope that helps.

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  5. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Thank You for this. I'd planned on just the Vetiver for a first outing. Sounds like I need (NEED) the DFS as well.

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Saturday morning August 12 - substitute standard Fatboy

Gillette Fatboy on 4 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    Jason's non - 30DC Cypress Badger brush
    Kent / MWF in wooden tub
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Original Astringent

The Maggards 24mm two - band badger knot in my cypress brush did a fine job of whipping the Mitchell's Wool Fat into an excellent lather. Unfortunately the rest of the shave was not as good.

I used my substitute Fatboy again today while my usual one is off at Delta Echo getting a facelift. Once again, I used it set on 4 instead of my normal 3. And, like yesterday, I can't honestly say that the slightly higher setting resulted in any better a shave. However, it did once again result in sparky alum. Also a small weeper on my upper lip.

I had run my Fatboy up to 9 before finally choosing 3 as my preferred setting and I now remember why I ended up on that setting -- it works to give me clean shaves with no irritation.

Oh well, tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity for an epic shave...

FaceScraper, PLAla, Fup and 7 others like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It's what he does best[​IMG]

FaceScraper, Fup, entropy1049 and 8 others like this.
  8. mrchick

If there's one thing I've mastered, it's the art of inconsistent honing. I finally gave up and did a final pass with my Mongoose. Back to the hones with this one.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
    TSD 30DC LE Brush
    Burrell Cutlery Top Flight Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Brut Dominant After Shave
    Have a great weekend![​IMG]

FaceScraper, RyX, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  9. mrchick

If there's one thing I've mastered, it's the art of inconsistent honing. I finally gave up and did a final pass with my Mongoose. Back to the hones with this one.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
    TSD 30DC LE Brush
    Burrell Cutlery Top Flight Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Brut Dominant After Shave
    Have a great weekend![​IMG]

PLAla, Fup, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gem OCMM
    Gem Stainless (1)
    Semogue 2000
    Soap Commander Love Soap
    Soap Commander Love ASB

Pretty good shave this morning. A fresh blade is always a little rough for the first shave. Two minor weepers, but smooth and comfortable otherwise.

FaceScraper, RyX, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. I break down my razors as "A" string and "B" string. I enjoy using both groups but prefer the "A" string. The Option 5 might move the ATT Calypso down to "B" string as it's a bit smoother.

SharptoothC, PLAla and Norcalnewb like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Pure is on my "Try" lists once I work through some of the current soaps. Your descriptions were great and very helpful.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

He's one happy little guy. Does he wake up as happy as he sleeps?

14. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Some days you get the bear...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. mrchick

He's a happy baby most of the time. My daughter lucked out

16. Norcalnewb

I thought all first children were like that. If they were like most second kids, no one would ever have more than one. :)

17. Norcalnewb

IMG_0545.JPG

Aug 12 SOTD:

30DC LE Brush
    Wholly Kaw Jamestown Gentleman
    Merkur Futur
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Wholly Kaw Jamestown Gentleman AS

It was a quick shower and shave before a much needed haircut this morning. I got to spend the morning with most of my kids as my wife took the middle daughter to a birthday party. My baby girl is such a charmer. She had the whole shop watching her every move. It was fun, and a great start to this weekend. I hope everyone has a great day!

FaceScraper, RyX, jtspartan and 6 others like this.
  18. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

I'm back guys!

I was growing a beard again but shaved it all off today with GEM 1912 and the Shave Den Lanolin soap. It was smooth shaving and smooth sailing until I got to the upper lip and chin. Still got it all and got a nice "Hello there, my old friend" from the alum. Feels good to be clean shaven again.

Happy shaving everyone!

FaceScraper, RyX, BaylorGator and 7 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Welcome back!

RyX, SharptoothC, Fup and 1 other person like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

my first one was happy. The second one......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.