Talcum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by mastermute, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

My wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary in London last week. As part of that I spoiled her at Tiffany's (Thank you (on this very forum!) who ever got me into that "AD"... NOT!!:p) enough to get my CC called in for a magnetic strip refit!

My treat was a shave and haircut at Truefitt & Hill on St James' St! It was just awesome! I hope/wish you all can experience the feeling of a real barber [hot towel] shave sometime! You can probably shave yourself better, but the feeling of sitting in the barbers chair, getting almost pampered, is just amazing!

One thing that struck me through the "cermony" was the use of talcum powder. I have never used talcum before, but it was very pleasant!

Can you recommend any talcum powders? I'd certainly want to get some! What do you use, and how do you use it?

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I use TOBS Sandalwood talc. It's great in the summer to fight sweating in the face which can burn where you just shaved. I also use it on my hands, also to fight sweating when I'm going out.

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Johan, Klaus, are you guys lucky, because I cannot use any talc, not even baby powder. The stuff chokes me to the point where I feel like I'll die.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Sorry to hear that, Jeff :(

5. crackstar

My Klaus, a barber cut my hair, shaved me, and then shook all over me talc, and he did it as I fell asleep in the chair, and they had to call an ambulance to rush me to the hospital. This was 11 years ago, and I can never forget this........Wa'Allahi Azim, it was the scare of my life. :ashamed001

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Those minute particulates can wreak havoc on the respiratory system. I have heard it is akin to inhaling sand. I have even been told to not use the stuff on infants because of this problem.

7. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, it was very subtly used during the procedure, I did not experience any problems or even the hint of a "choke". It was certainly "proffessionally applied"!

8. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I accidentaly found the benefits of talc. I had applied to my body and went to feel my BBS shave and realized that the talc made it much smoother? I use Floris talc. It also seems to eliminate the sheen I get from some AS's. Thinking about getting some of the Pinaud talc.

9. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I use Caswell & Massey’s Sandalwood talc on some days and their Lime talc on others… both are excellent.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. crackstar

yes, it is true. My daughter is 5 now, and my wife will not use powder on her after a bath.

11. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I would recomend Snake Brand Prickly Heat Powder "LAVENDER". It is a Thai brand (they know heat). I use it around my collar on dress shirts to prevent ring around the collar, and the collar glides better and feels nicer. I use it around my waist, in the summer it prevent underwear band irritation. I pat it on my face to cover up the shave shadow. Pits and 'nads for moisture absorption. If you can find it on Ebay get it. If not, I'm going to thailand at Christmas and I might be convinced to ship a can or two. I'm bringing home four for myself.

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

As long as you don't inhale it in larger quantities over a longer period you should be fine. Same goes for children, it's perfectly safe if you don't overapply it (i.e. using it like flea powder for dogs).

13. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I use both the traditional Pinaud Clubman talc and Mysore Sandalwood talc on occasion. Both are great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Hmmmmmmmm....

My wife swears by....

[​IMG]

15. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

By the way, I don't think they use talcum powder anymore in Johnson and Johnson Baby powder. I believe it is corn starch. There are some people who swear by cornstarch, but I don't think it feels as smooth.

I wonder about Gold bond too, since it says body powder and not Talc.

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

+1 on the Pinaud Clubman. Natural or "Flesh" tone.

17. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I'll be the odd man (or woman) out, but I like rice starch instead of corn starch.

18. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

If you use it like the eponymous "Balla Powder", keep anything with starch away from "down there"! Fungus-food in dark, damp places is nicht gut!

19. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Pinaud's Clubman Talc

The Clubman Talc mentioned above in the green plastic bottle is a very classic scent used in many many barbershops over the years. It is absolutely wonderful stuff. Application with a brush helps greatly with keeping down the 'cloud' which probably is best to be cautious of. (I recognize the danger so I had to class it up their with my favorite scotches and other crazy habits!)

It is an inexpensive product - but that is not a good enough reason to dismiss it. It is truly a great scent. Lovely for a light talc before bed as well as after a fabulous shave.

I just posted in the preshaves and aftershaves thread about this talc as a matter of fact - I am looking for opinions about the type of brushes best used for this. Ahhhh... another product I will need to hunt for!! Any knowledge about brushes as used with talc would be much appreciated by me (of course for applying Pinaud's Clubman Talc!! A must have!)

20. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Where do you find this? Its a new one on me!