List of Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spirit_of_76, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

The question of what razors are best comes up very often on the various forums, with many newcomers requesting a list of manufacturers, before they are given one of several stock replies: "Any good razor will shave as well as the next" or "It comes down to personal preference," etc, etc. Whilst these are both valid points, I think a listing of various manufactureres still has its merits and a good list is still lacking (unless someone posted one during my long hiatus from the online shaving fora and I simply haven't found it:ashamed001) Anyhow, enough of my meandering, I just wanted to post this link as it is a good starting point to a compendium of manufacturer's names. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=9162.msg285447
    Kind regards,
    Alex

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

3. stolenmirth

stolenmirth New Member

That's quite a list! Is it just me or are Boker and Robeson missing? I thought they were two of the biggest.

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Good find, Alex. I love the "collection" if you scroll down a little further in the post. Nice starter set! :happy097

5. erictski

erictski Member

Excellent Info for someone looking to ebay buy.

6. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

Because of the obvious associations with shaving brushes, I've always been intrigued by the maker Joseph Badger & Sons. I seem to remember someone having one way back in the earliest days of online shave fora, but I can't find any pictures now.
    Does someone have one, and could maybe post photos?
    Kind regards,
    Alex

7. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Excellent list, thanks for sharing!

8. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

What are these merits you speak of? How was that list you linked compiled? It looks like every vintage brand that someone discovers is not on the list gets added to the list, ie. it isn't a list of what razors are best, it is a list of vintage razor brands.

Stay away from new razors unless they are Dovo or TI is a wonderfully simple answer to the question "what razors are best - do you have a list of manufacturers?" It would be a shame if a newcomer passed on a rare unlisted vintage just because they didn't see it on a list. :(

Ignoring the part about someone asking for a list of good razors, thanks for linking that list! I am definitely going to bookmark that one for sake of reference. I believe that is the merit you have in mind, or at least one of them. Thanks again