So, what operating systems are you using?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by moviemaniac, Oct 30, 2008.

?

What OS are you using?

1. Windows XP

57.1%
  2. Windows Vista

30.6%
  3. Windows 2000

4.1%
  4. Windows 98

2.0%
  5. Windows (other)

2.0%
  6. Mac OSX 10.4

10.2%
  7. Mac OSX 10.5

16.3%
  8. Mac OS (other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Unix

4.1%
  10. BSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Linux 2.4.x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Linux 2.6.x

16.3%
  13. Linux (other)

6.1%
  14. Other (Open Source)

6.1%
  15. Other (commercial/closed source)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Okay, guys and ladies, let's whether our "alternate" way of shaving ourselves is reflected in the operating systems we use on our computers.

I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) and Mac OSX 10.5 on my main machine (iMac C2D 24") and Ubuntu Hardy (8.04 LTS) on my laptop (IBM T40).

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Window XP. Wife has Vista on her Laptop and I can't stand it. I've done the demo CD for Ubuntu and would take it over Vista and if set-up to run MS Office was easier I might take it over XP, but not worth the time to me as it stands. Not going to pay Mac prices, but agree Macs are good (just over priced).

3. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

Quite a few people here at the Medical College of Georgia use Open Office (installed by default under Ubuntu) for their work, and the school is standardized on MS Office 2007. No compatibility problems to speak of . . .

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

+1 on Open Office.

5. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I always swore I would never be a Mac person, but it has quite a strong support base in academia, especially science, and I finally succumbed.

My current computer is a MacBook Pro with the 17" glossy screen (that was a mistake, as it has a horrible glare) that I bought last year. It is currently running Mac OS 10.4.10, but my IT guy keeps bugging me to let him upgrade to 10.5. I'm in the middle of writing a paper, though, and everybody keeps complaining about various programs we use regularly no longer supported with OS 10.5, so I am stalling until I get the paper finished.

I love the Mac. Back in my PC days I was more into gaming, but with marriage and 2 kids, that time is gone, and now I have to settle for a half hour here and there with my ancient Xbox (the original, not the 360) playing KOTOR 2.

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I checked 3. I work with computers, so I have to know my way around multiple OSs, my home computers include Vista, OS 10.5, and Ubuntu

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

+2 And if you really have to, you ca install Microsoft Office without any problems under Linux by using Wine

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I used to think the same. But, let's take a look at the iMac 24" which I bought the other week: It cost me 1500€ (1800USD). It's a lot of money, but you'd have to pay 600+€ (750USD) just for the 24" screen (it has a quality panel suitable for working with photos and videos). That leaves 900€ for a SILENT, energy-efficient, high-quality machine with a Core2Duo 2,8GHz, 2GB of RAM, WiFi (draft n), Bluetooth, DVD burner, HDD, Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card, a set of high-quality-keyboard and mouse, webcam, Firewire-800 connector (amongst others) and the operating system. That's not overpriced, that's the normal cost of high-quality hardware. Oh, and the absence of Windows is priceless :happy102

10. Milton

Milton New Member

Ubuntu (Hardy) for me. I only have a laptop, and don't care to use disk space to dual boot Windows.

11. swayne

swayne New Member

Debian at the moment.

Previously:-

A lot: Red Hat, SuSE, Ubuntu

Not so much: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD

Rarely: Windows XP

I saw VIsta once, I thought it looked like a Mac.

12. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I assume that was the "not worth the time" he was talking about. Although, under Ubuntu, WINE works OOB. Some distros I've had to wrestle with it, but not Ubuntu . . .

13. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

yup. "apt-get install wine" and you're done. Doesn't get any easier (I for myself use the development builds directly from wines repo...).

14. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I've gotten really lazy in the Linux department. I've set it up numerous times over the past 8 years but haven't really found any reason to use it on a daily basis. I've tried Debian, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Kbuntu, Suse and a few others but none of them hooked me.

15. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Kubuntu (Intrepid Ibex) on my main computer (Dell Inspiron 1420), Kubuntu (Hardy) on an older desktop. I also have a MacBook Pro and my wife uses an older eMac (10.4, PowerPC Chip).

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Open office is great for documents, but not for advanced spreadsheets with Macros developed by others in Excel. I agree it's just fine for most people, but I'm not one of them. I do have a portable compy of OO on my flash drive for emergencies, but it isn't MS Office, especially on spreadsheets. Excel is the only MS product I believe is actually the best product of its kind available, and it's one I use frequently and with far more of its features than most.

I'm also aware of WINE, though I haven't tried it. Really it comes down to XP working just fine and not wanting to spend time setting up the O/S and working with SWMBO on getting everything she uses to work how she wants it to work on top of getting my stuff setup.

17. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Mac OSX 10.5 on my iMac and MacBook, XP on my "work PC"... Next work computer will be a MacBook Pro with BootCamp and/or Parallells... The Microsoft Remote Desktop client [for the Mac] is so good these day I can do all my DAX development that way, I don't have a full DAX on my local PC anyway, and the ability to occasionally boot up Windows for the odd thing I might need in my line of duty...

18. Damon

Damon Member

I'm running OSX 10.4.11 on Mac Duel 1.42 Ghz and WinXP on Dell laptop 1.3 Ghz.

19. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Ubuntu on the alienware rebuild back in NY and XP on my laptop at school because I dont have the patience to deal with any compatability problems when it comes to school work and things of that sort. I use Abi Word as my main writing problem. And I make powerpoint presentations at school when its needed. I've only made 2 in the course of my time in college.

20. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

JayKay - You make Powerpoint sound horrible, like MS Word or Outlook horrible. IMHO MS currently makes one Great product, one decent product, and a bunch of junk. Great = Excel, decent = Powerpoint, junk = all other current offerings. XP was decent also, unlike Vista, which is why my work still uses XP and I still use XP at home. When MS finally drops support, I'll likely switch to a Linux distro.