Show us your scuttle

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Fly2High, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

do you have a scuttle to warm up your lather?

Did you buy one recently or have a vintage one?

Did you create your own DIY makeshift scuttle?

I you said yes to any of the above, post a write up, tell us where you got it bad maybe include a photo.

Looking forward to seeing your scuttles!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

One vote for makeshift. I've got a wide mouth coffee mug that I microwave. Keep a saucer over it to keep the water hot. Mix up my lather in the bowl and then place the bowl on top after removing the saucer. Works pretty good.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

My first one is a self-watering violet pot, AKA redneck scuttle:

IMG_20170208_122656-1024x765.jpg

IMG_20170208_122622-1024x575.jpg

IMG_20170208_122633-1024x618.jpg

My second one is a Robert A. Becker, Feats of Clay:

IMG_20170208_122709-1024x831.jpg

IMG_20170208_122738-1024x786.jpg

I had another scuttle, may have been a Becker, but the handle broke. I glued it back on and pif'd it to someone a few years ago.

4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I bought this in a little junk shop in Paint Rock, Texas, for like a buck & a half...
    [​IMG]
    It's basically useless, but kinda looked cool. I use an Old Spice mug for shavin'.

Redrock, brit, Sparrow and 2 others like this.
  5. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Received this as a Christmas gift from one of my daughters. It's a Georgetown Pottery G12. Wonderful warm lather on cold Winter mornings.
    G12 scuttle.JPG

Redrock, brit, Sparrow and 3 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have the Crown King, it was a gift from my wife!
    [​IMG]

Redrock, brit, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have a thread on these exact same things if you search for it. It is quite informative.

Below, I have pics and descriptions, however.

IMG_20170210_015319.jpg
    The above is a G12 scuttle by Georgetown pottery. They are very classy, look incredible, and are easily available online. They are a bit pricey, though.

IMG_20170210_015359.jpg
    This one is an Icelandic gilt lava bowl. It is gorgeous. It also costs a LOT...if you can even find one. I got this one on eBay.

IMG_20170210_015438.jpg
    The one above was bought for .99 cents at a thrift store. It is some type of soup bowl, I believe. I have found many "cheap" and re-purposed items from garage sales and thrift stores. Your imagination is your only limitation.

IMG_20170210_015511.jpg

This is more of a traditional scuttle. It is vintage and I have never seen anything like it before or after. I bought it off eBay a while back in a major bidding war.

IMG_20170210_015547.jpg

The blue/purple one on the left was bought from Etsy, which is a great place for custom and interesting wet shave gear. The one on the right is an Edwin Jagger apothecary mug that is brand new in the box. I had a similar one that I PIFed to a friend. I should probably sell these.

I feel that you ultimately need to choose between face lathering, scuttle, or lathering bowl. You may use some combo of the above, however...I know I do.

It's hard to find the ultimate scuttle/bowl, but lathering bowls are made just for that...lathering. They tend to be the easiest to work with. Look for a Suribachi bowl or something similar. 5" + wide bowls that are shallow and ridged tend to work best.

8. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I got mine from DougSmithPottery on Etsy. It works well. He has a lot of interesting items.

I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have the Crown King scuttle, not sure if I've used it yet. I gave my son my Georgetown G20.

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

My daughter got me a dirty bird scuttle for Christmas. 20161009_100051_resized.jpg 150_Opal_Rim_on_Black_Scuttle-1.jpeg

JazzDoc, Redrock and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

That is a really nice looking scuttle. I am really liking the 2 piece designs

I was wondering any of the cold shave guys put ice cubes and cold water in their scuttle for the summer months?

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have a couple of neglected handmade scuttles from Robert Becker. One is 'travel size,' the other large enough for a crowd to use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JazzDoc, ARGH, Redrock and 1 other person like this.
  13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I finally got my own scuttle!!!
    A Georgetown Pottery G12. It was given to me for my birthday. It works awesome. I ended up going with a one piece since I did not like the idea of the bowl clanking the base and running the possibility of it floating. This also has a rubber stopper which I found helpful since hot water and shaving while showering could cause issues

IMG_4004.JPG

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

1 of mine. tmp_30929-20170512_141949-1254622182.jpg

Redrock and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Looks nice..

16. RetLEO-07

Makeshift scuttle for my Old Spice mug. Works just fine.. IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG

17. RetLEO-07

Got an email from WCS and they are apparently gonna be carrying this.
    Figured you gadget freaks might want to know

JazzDoc likes this.
  18. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I have used SRD, Moss, several from etsy vendors but I rotate my Dirty Bird, Schwarzweisskeramik, and Georgetown G20. Pictures when I get home. All three are excellent.

19. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

IMG_8642.JPG Here they are

JazzDoc and Linuxguile like this.
  20. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Well-Known Member

Here's a sampling of my favorite things...

Scuttles.jpg

Linuxguile likes this.