Let's Talk Patchouli

Discussion in 'Scents' started by bscarpenter, Jan 9, 2017.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I've been using some Patchouli soap that I purchased from Whole Foods. GREAT stuff. I soak in the scent and I am reminded of camping in the damp woods. I would like to find a good patchouli cologne. Any suggestions?

Bama Samurai, Dzia Dzia, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Giorgio Beverly Hills for is a patchouli bomb

Go light on the trigger with it.

Lucky has a nice patchouli scent going on.

Also like Bijan and it has a good amount of patchouli in it.

Dzia Dzia and RyX like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Consider a quality patchouli essential oil and combine it with an unscented aftershave balm, such as Simpsons.

Dzia Dzia and RyX like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was introduced to patchouli at the Renaissance Fair in Atlanta many years ago. Because it's distilled essential oil from a plant there's variation in the finished product. Check with your local Vitamin Shoppe, small pharmacy, or witch doctor for small bottles of the pure stuff. It's concentrated & potent and can be added to other stuff to increase your patchouli enjoyment. The plants can be grown for right from the source scent too!
    patchouli-plant.jpg

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I like it in faint doses.
    I used to like it more before I started my current job - a female coworker is very liberal with the stuff, to the point it is rather noxious.

Bama Samurai, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  6. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

When I was a teenager in the early 70s patchouli was very popular and was used in rather heavy amounts by some people. I thought the scent was a quite overwhelming and to this day even a trace amount makes me lose my breath for a second.

Carbide Mike and Troy M like this.
  7. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

After reading this I was in the mood for patchouli.

Looked through my collection and found another favorite of mine.

Zino Davidoff

RyX likes this.
  8. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Remember Stinkor the He-Man toy?

Yup, patchouli.

ninjack likes this.
  9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine makes me make her a batch of patchouli soap every six months. I personally think it smells like hippie incense.

BigMark83, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you can get some of the essential oil and some perfumers alcohol, you can make a nice cologne and control the strength. Start with 4 fl. oz. (120 ml) of perfumers alcohol and 1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of the oil. Try it out to see if you like the strength. At that concentration, it should be fairly light. If it seems too light, add another 5 ml.

11. bscarpenter

Who knew? I'll have to look for perfumers alcohol. I'm guessing Makers Mark isn't perfumers alcohol.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

13. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I mix patchouli cologne 1 part to 3 parts old spice...and the wife goes mmmmmm

RyX likes this.
  14. bscarpenter

Which patchouli cologne?

RyX likes this.
  15. urrlord

I use Indio Bravo Patchouli Espiritual by Selene Perfumes found in Latin grocery stores.It has 3-4 3 inch pieces of root floating in the bottle.Cost is about 6-7 dollars for a 7.5oz/221ml bottle.

RyX likes this.
  16. urrlord

Also I neglected to say I am using Vintage Old Spice a/s.Roughly ('cause I mix it up in the palm of my hand.)3 parts to 1 part of the Indio Bravo.Comes out pretty nice.the OS tones down the patchouli ,and the patchouli seems to give the OS a bit more longevity.In fact I am about to go splash some on now.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I found a supplier, but they seem to be out of stock on all products.

18. urrlord

RyX likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for the link @urrlord!

From the reviews on this Crusellas product, the patchouli oil is diluted with alcohol leaving a light scent. As an aftershave that's about right.

I have a couple small bottles of patchouli essential oil. Depending on how it's prepared the scent varies. I may experiment with diluting the oils I have into perfumers alcohol. Then I'll need to play with glycerin for that smooth aftershave lotion feel.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When you get proportions that work, please post them here.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.