Anyone useing theFEATHER Artist Club SS Scotch

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BIG SAM, Aug 31, 2017.

1. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

Wood Folding Straight Razor. This is a barber straight razor that uses feather razor blades

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am personally not a fan of the Feather SS models. I own and use often a Feather DX, but the head geometry is different. If you are looking at shavettes and are new to the platform, I would look at the Kia Captain, the CJB Kamisori or the Irving Barber Company razors. All of them will be easier to learn on. The SS is a fine razor, and has a million fans, but there are way easier ways to go.

SevenEighth likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've never used one, but heck give it a try.

4. Dan. Cooper

Dan. Cooper New Member

I have an SS and the DX. They both seem to give good shaves. One must be patient with results as these blades are mighty sharp. (healing little slide on side of jaw tonight). I'll live.
    George

SevenEighth and ninjack like this.
  5. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I have a Parker SR1 that is pretty good for the money, about $20. After I got the Parker I purchased an IBC shavette and really like it. Much better feel to it IMHO. It is also nicer looking and better made, but cost $70. I was using straights, but can't quite get the stropping down. My straights that I used after getting them that were honed shaved great, but after a few shaves and me stropping in between shaves, the straights tug and feel less comfortable when shaving. I suspected it was my stropping, so I purchased the Parker to try and see if I had the same tugging and pulling feeling when shaving with it. I did not. Which means I need to work on my stropping skills on my straights. The Feather Artist Club razors look nice. I may have to try one some day, but I'm pretty happy with the IBC until I can get my straights back in good shaving condition.