What manufacturer makes the perfect straight razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BIG SAM, Aug 26, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Valid question!

Considering the topic, this belongs here.

This is why. I've purchased a shave ready from a reputable honer. I have a benchmark for comparison. If you know the razor is ready, then any issues will be your technique.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

+1 ^^^. I have a handful of them, that every time I use one I think maybe it is the perfect straight. They range from brand new to about 150 years old, full hollow to wedge ground.

Like Keith said, what mood are you in today?

Spyder, DaltonGang and Keithmax like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Like others recommended both @gssixgun and @HolyRollah will deliver a beautiful razor with a great edge. If you want to test the waters google Whipped Dog and go for one of his sight unseen razors and a poor mans strop. If you fancy new a Dovo from The Superior Shave is good, I bought a couple razors and all had great edges. You can also watch the BST thread.

4. jimmy Mac

jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

"The Chase is Better than the Catch" Motorhead

5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I don't use straights, but I will answer this, perfect is subjective.

dustmite likes this.
  6. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have many straights, many brands, many sizes, many different grinds, many different eras. When I first started I was seeking the perfect razor, and thought I would find the perfect razor, but several of those and sell the rest. I have had a lot of different razors. The honing is as important as the blade itself, for certain. I have preferred brand, but a range of preferred grinds. What I have come up with for the heart of my rotation is 6/8 to 8/8 widths in 1/4 to extra hollow, the lions share is JA Henckels. One of the truly great things about Henckels is they made them for over 250 years and there are thousands of them out there, and a lot of them in mint condition,and because of the shear volume in the market, the price reflects that. They are a top shelf brand, but you still need to dial in your size and grind. Going to a meet often gets you a lot of exposure, hands on to what is out there. Henckels 17 in carbon steel is probably my most commonly used razor. It is a half hollow 7/8 blade.

7. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

It's gone to be different for each of us.We have different preferences. I find it depends on my mood on which size,grind and maker I select.The only thing most folks will always agree on is you need quality steel to start with.For example I like the chareristics of FW Engels Argo Steel.Very hard and keeps a sharp edge.I like this type of steel expecially when going against the grain.In the end Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

RezDog likes this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    You really could not go wrong with a Boker King Cutter. Apart from expensive customs this is a great razor.

RezDog likes this.
  9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My perfect straight razor is always the next one I get.

ninjack, M14Shooter, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  10. Dan. Cooper

Dan. Cooper New Member

Is a Feather DX or SS or similar considered a straight razor as such? If one is interested in trying, a Feather or KAI has an ability to take very sharp "shave ready" blades and need no honing or stropping.....ever. There are some that strop their Feather DX blades for extra mileage, but even with no strop, these are quite nice. I have many straight razors from old to brand new. I've practiced honing, and stopping and I have never found a way to get my straights as sharp as the thin DE blades or the Feather Pro Artist Club blades. It is a way to look at shaving with the same methodology as straights without the collection of numerous straight razors in your drawer looking for "Mr. Right... or Mrs. Right".

Is it ok to post about it here?

Spyder likes this.
  11. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Filarmonica's have a great reputation. I have not used one, but hear a lot of great things about them. Too bad the don't still make them. You can find new old stock, but they get pretty expensive.
    filarmonica-1.jpg picture from internet

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:D:D
    depew_perfect.png

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The perfect one is the one you have in your hand.

Spyder likes this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The perfect one is the Art razor @mrchick is going to PIF to me :rolleyes:

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

What, did it get lost in the mail?

RezDog likes this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Yer killin me :happy097:

mrchick likes this.