Are Synthetics Really Best?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Bought it then cancelled it.

Bought a Maggards granite synth off their eBay store. Big bastard. Maybe too big. Used it today and didn't mind it. Looked like it holds water (looks wet) but the lather wasn't that wet. Weird.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

They take a little getting used to. That's a good brush you bought. At the very least it gives you a good idea of the platform. The others are all a little different, but nothing earth shaking. In my opinion.

jaxstraww likes this.
  3. jaxstraww

I'll get a few more uses with it before Peter calls my number. [​IMG]

4. PickledNorthern

I personally like the Tuxedo knot better than the plisson type you got in the maggard. You can count on it having a softer overall feel. Others have described it like lathering with the lather itself, and I would sort of agree. I like mine, but it is actually too soft for my everyday preference.

RyX likes this.
  5. jaxstraww

Is the tuxedo one the black and white knot? I'd prefer that as well but I pulled the trigger pretty fast the other night.

I'd actually like it a bit more scratchy like the semouge.

6. jaxstraww

Wait, so the tuxedo is softer?

RyX likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

The Tuxedo is the black and white. It is sort of generally assumed that is the white wolf knot also. If you want a scrubbier feeling I would look at getting an Ubersoft II from Envy Shave. It is more of a fan type like this:

[​IMG]

I like this one a lot. But again, it is hard to put one in that you haven't tried.

I don't know of any that that have a more scrubby feel without going to a Simpson, and obviously you aren't gonna knock a knot out of one of those.

8. PickledNorthern

Yeah. Tuxedo is the softest I've ever used. I haven't tried the Cashmere though.

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I don't like the really soft brushes. Legacy of three decades boar brush usage, I guess.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

[​IMG]

11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

If you want to accelerate the process, then take your boar brush into the shower with you with a cake of shave soap. Then, scrub and swirl up some lather on your forearm. Continue to use it for shaving as you are breaking it in. You can break in a boar knot pretty fast that way over just a few sessions.

clint64 likes this.
  12. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I've never tried a synthetic brush before, but have been thinking about getting a Satin Tip brand to try. Has anyone here tried one of these. They look nice and cost around $23.

satin tip-1.jpg

13. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I've never tried one of those, but it looks really cool.

ninjack likes this.
  14. ninjack

Yeah, I love the look of it. If it performs as good as it looks, it would be worth the $23-$25 for it.

15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have one, its a great little brush. The knot is on the smaller side 20mm or 22mm I think, but It makes and holds plenty of lather (and freely releases it). The knot has a little bit of scritch to it compared to a plisson style knot which I like, and the rubberized handle makes it easy to hold on to when covered in soap. This brush never fails to make a silky smooth lather for me no matter what soap I use it with. If mine were to break I would happily replace it and have no trouble recommending one to others.

RyX, JazzDoc and ninjack like this.
  16. ninjack

Thanks Andrew! I thought I had read some good reviews on it a couple of years ago, but couldn't remember. It is surely a nice looking brush. I like that the handle has a rubber texture to it. Glad to hear it is so good!

JazzDoc and Linuxguile like this.
  17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

WP_20170908_001.jpg
    These two just came in the mail from TurnNShave (Formerly Evershave.) A angel knot and a full moon knot. Reviews to come in another post soon!

RyX, JazzDoc, Marc Bagwell and 2 others like this.
  18. jaxstraww

I think for my WW order going to go badger. I like bowl lathering and the synthetic doesn't seem to do the same job.

Now with face lathering I find the synthetic to be a beast.

JazzDoc and PickledNorthern like this.
  19. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

All I've used are synthetics so I really can't comment. I would like to say that I'm considering trying a natural hair brush. I know nothing about them but I know you would be an excellent person to ask. Should I try a boar first or a badger? Money is always an issue because I'm on a fixed income. Someone said I should try a semogue brush first, I would really appreciate your recommendation. Thanks in advance.

RyX, JazzDoc and Zykris like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

If you're saying you can't spend $$$$ on badger, then synthetic is a far better choice for you. If you wanna try boar, Omega is the brand to buy.

Terry Williams, dustmite, RyX and 3 others like this.