Looking for a flatting stone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BIG SAM, Sep 9, 2017.

1. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

like Gssixgun uses

Keithmax likes this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    DMT D8C

it is a 3x8 inch 325 Grit and has worked flawlessly for about 10 years

Trend
    Atoma
    Shapton all make similar and range in price all over the place

I have tried them all, and they have good reviwes but the DMT simply works and works very well

Only the Shapton $$$$$ DGLP is ready to go from the box the rest need a tool or a knife sharpened on them first before using on expensive hones to knock off the high diamonds.

3. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

than you sir i love your videos

Keithmax and gssixgun like this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have the DMT lapping plates, they are 4X10 and are big enough that they are awkward for maintenance purposes. The 8x3 plates fit in the hone holders and make them much more user friendly.

Keithmax, gssixgun and Paul76 like this.
  5. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

The issue I have with plates is that they wear out eventually, cost a lot just to use it as a flattening medium and can cause diamond particles to get lodged in your stone. 220 wet dry sand paper on a slab of marble or plate glass is by far the most cost effective. Scrap marble and plate glass can be had for a few $ from places like Home Depot and any glass store.

Keithmax, Stu929 and DaltonGang like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree. Except, when you need to use them on synthetic hones, which wear quickly, and need frequent flattening.

7. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

I use them on my shapton gs stones all the time.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

What I meant was I use the DMT on the synthetics, because the synthetics wear faster. I'm not familiar with the Shapton Glass.

9. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

The gs stones wear pretty slowly. The ceramic bond matrix is very hard wearing but they cut very quickly. I do agree that diamond plates are very convenient.

10. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have a lot of miles on my DMT lapping plates. They are still very effective. They do plug up every now and then. There has been little to no mention of it on this forum, but I do shape hones from natural stone. The hones are very hard hones, and I have lapped many of them on my plates. I doubt with proper care and treatment that your average person would wear out a diamond plate. They do plug up and look like they are done, but a good cleaning and they are ready to go again.

Keithmax likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I alternate between the DMT & Atoma. I prefer the Atoma 75% of the time for slurry generation or flattening as it is faster and doesnt stick as often as the DMT.

I prefer the DMT for edge/blade repair.

Keithmax likes this.