Dollar Tree $1 Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by gzp, Sep 17, 2017.

1. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Dollar Tree has Chinese de blades for $1 with a free razor included.

From what I've read it is not a Weishi. It's very light and very shiny. Handle is a little longer than a Gillette. Gillette tto doors are more rounded.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That would be a super throw away for traveling.

Jrdelgado and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Any pics?

4. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Couldn't add photos from my phone:
    pkg 1.jpg pkg 2.jpg heads 1.jpg handles1.jpg

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The Nanjie razor, remember Uncle Ding.............

s-l500a.jpg

Jrdelgado, PLANofMAN, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would give it a try.
    Zwhs2.png

Jrdelgado, Yehuda D and Herm2502 like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I did one shave with the Nanjie razor and a Personna Lab Blue blade and actually got a damn near BBS shave out of it.

Jrdelgado, Yehuda D and George X like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll go by the Dollar Tree near my house sometime this week and check it out.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Uncle Ding! I never did get my razor.

Jrdelgado, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yeah, I'll try it.

11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I may well look for one tomorrow if time allows.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

12. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I would try it, those blades are kind of terrifying though.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I did. You didn't miss much. Imagine a DE made with the thinnest, lightest stamped tin and injection molded plastic possible. Now remove 10% more material and ship it before folks realize you sent something different from the ebay auction...

brit, Jrdelgado, battle.munky and 6 others like this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Unknown Chinese blades tend to be terrifying. If the one with this razor really is Stainless, though, then it is a cut above the usual that I'd expect with a dollar store razor.

Odd that they went with a TTO. At that price point, a three-piece makes more sense.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good point.

16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I honestly can't think of any situation where my razor would be in enough peril that I would want to use this piece of garbage instead.

17. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Well, my Dollar Tree didn't have any.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

18. John Ruschmeyer

I had to go to three of them, but I finally found one that had them (Eatontown, NJ).

First impressions: It looks to be a better razor than the Nanjie- higher quality chrome, better defined knurling, and (most important) no obvious misalignment. By comparison, the Nanjie looks like an even worse clone.

The blades have me curious. The last time I bought a dollar store DE, it was a 3-piece Junjie that came with a single carbon steel blade. This one has a pack of 5 blades that purport to be "Super Stainless Steel". I wonder if its possible that they might actually be usable?

Jrdelgado, SharptoothC and gorgo2 like this.
  19. John Ruschmeyer

Despite the issues I'm having with my dominant hand, I've managed to get in a couple of shaves with this razor. Some impressions:

As I have said, it's a much higher quality than the Nanjie from Uncle Ding- sharper knurling, better finish, and no obvious alignment issues. It's about the aggressiveness as a '60s SuperSpeed. If it suffers from anything, it is the fact that it is very light.

The real surprise, though, are the included blades. They are that rare beast, a usable, no-name Chinese DE blade. Outside of the wrapper, there are no markings on the blade whatsoever. The wrapper says that they are Stainless Steel and I will take them at their word. Right now, I'm not in a good position to judge their overall quality but I did find them them to be smooth and providing good reduction. As they say on a certain TV show: "This blade weeellll cut."

I may have to send one out to @NCoxSTL for his take. :)

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Cartel blade testing center is always open.