preshave oils

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by peacefrog, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Exeter

Exeter New Member

I had a very positive shaving experience just a few moments ago with the AL Pre-Shave oil. I've had it for quite a while as a part of the "Best Shave Pack" from AL and I had read some disparaging remarks on these forums about it, so I put it to the side for a while. Well, my face is very thin and my bony jawline and chin ALWAYS presents a problem when I'm trying to shave. WTG passes do not provide satisfactory closeness when shaving in these areas, as a proper angle for any type of pass is very difficult to attain. I often find myself slicing my skin open in these areas, and especially on my clefted chin. I always have tugging and sometimes some intense irritation on my neck area, but if I only do WTG passes, again, it looks like I haven't even shaved. The AL Pre-Shave oil allowed for great ease in making ATG and XTG passes on my neck and chin, especially just under my jawline. Not a bit of irritation resulted and while I did get one tiny nick from a pre-existing bump, it was almost flawless. BBS as well. It's practically a godsend for my neck, which I'm never happy with because its too sensitive for XTG or ATG passes without intense lubrication, and water alone doesn't do the job.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Steve was nice enough to send me the AoS Lavender PSO a few weeks back. I was interested because I like lavender and wanted to try some other preshave. I like using the GFT Lime skin food but its amazingly expensive, and I'll just make my own with Lime EO when I have the chance. As for the AoS. I actually apply it in the shower. As soon as I get in I leave my face rinsing in the hot water for a couple minutes and than wash it with some Anthony Logistics non-foaming facial cleansor. After a nice wash and scrub, with my face all wet, I'll pour a little dribbing in the the palm of my hand and smear it all over my wet face. I leave it there for the rest of the shower and try my best not to rinse it off. Its pretty thick so it stays on rather well. I rewet my face with a splash in the sink and face lather. The shaves lately have been great. I'll have to try making my own skin food becaus all the pre-made shave oils tend to be a tad expensive.

3. Exeter

Exeter New Member

What are the ingredients in the AoS oil?

edit: day two of using the AL Pre-Shave Oil and the results are even better than the first. I did it like JayKay did with his AoS oil, and man, the extra lubrication has been just what I need to go ATG without any irritation. Finally getting real BBS shaves on my neck, chin, and jawline instead of just on my cheeks. I don't see how anyone could find the extra lubrication (it moves much quicker, I don't see how it "gummed up [your] blade" or caused any tugging) a detraction! Sure I guess it'd be different for everyone, but this has made shaving way better for me.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I agree that it does make it much slicker when put on in the shower. As for doing an "oil pass" to finish my shave, it just dosnt work for me. I do wind up with some tugging and gunking when I just slap some oil on and try to do a pass. A+ for the shower pre shave and letting it sit though.

5. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

TOTALLY disliked pre-shave oils.
    did that olive oil treatment thing that worked ok, providing enough time and other preps are employed....
    ABSOLUTELY settled on the Trumpers Skin Food as a pre shave. Hot towel, Hot towel, skin food, lather and shave. works good for me.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The oil I tried was Somerset's. Yuck--not for me! :(

7. ChargerFan

ChargerFan New Member

Just finished up a sample of the GR pso. The stuff smells great. I usually apply, then stick a hot towel on for 30 sec. or so. then wipe off and prepare lather. The only other I had used previously was AOS, and I think that stuff stinks. I don't know if i'll spend the money on it again. Anyone compare TGR with say..t&H?

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I used one while I was in the disposable phase. I used it with no cream in the shower. It was wonderful. Lots of Menthol. I'll find a link an post it. I t did gum the blades but washing the blades helped that.

9. smooth_n_slick

smooth_n_slick New Member

Cromewell & Cruthers

I tried this product and I found it crappy, I would break out with zitz the next day, tried all 4 times had same problem...threw it in the trash.

10. Kapp EO

Kapp EO New Member

I liked using Truefitt and Hill's when I got it as a stocking stuffer, but don't know if I'd spend my own $ on it.