This day in history.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Will, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

Congrats to them dem's.

Looks Like Mr. Obama is the next president.

Lets see if the Change works.

I do hope the well regulated militia of TSD will keep this thread clean.

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I can only join in on the congratulations.

Who ever you supported, this election is historic! Probably a black president, a woman as vice president candidate, yet another woman close to be candidate for president. Very interesting!

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Not so much the president I'm worried about, it's congress. To many liberal democrat's with an agenda we can't afford as a country.

4. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Mulatto (just for the record)

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Didnt you see that episode of curb your enthusiam? That phrase isnt politically correct any more.

6. JimR

JimR Active Member

We finally did the right thing.
    Maybe now, we can start to atone for the last 8 years.

7. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Historic Election

This was a historic election because the most powerful office on the planet is changing hands. It's not historic because women were involved. It's not historic because African American's were involved. It's historic because it is the election for the President of the United States. We as a nation are too hung up on color, sex and many other non-factors. I could care less if our President was a hermaphrodite so long as he/she was qualified to serve. Sex, color, religion all should be non-factors in a campaign.

There are many, many great African Americans and great Women serving all over the US. We have Senators, Governors, Cabinet positions, Generals...

What we seem to lose sight of too quickly is that these are Americans! Americans! I don't say I'm German American. My family came from Germany many years ago but if you ask anyone in my family the response is a resounding...

I am an American!

8. Will

Will Nevermind

I am a Pennsylvanian! :p

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Exactly!

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Can't say I'm surprised and I also can't say that I'm not happy with this decision of the American people - from my perspective as an observer from another country.

Congratulations to Mr. Obama - may he be able to solve the extremely difficult tasks he will have to face.

11. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Blacks in america could not even vote not to long ago.
    If the first vote for blacks was historic and it has proven to be, then the first black American President IS historic. Saying it is NOT is more bigoted than saying it is.
    A black president in Germany would be a less historic moment since they have less history together.

12. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I am happy for Obama. I am happy for the American public for getting out to vote with record #'s at the polls. It is amazing what it takes to get the general public excited but at least it worked. I wish him the best in his presidency and lets see if his charisma carries the country in the right direction. The only thing that I wish the most out of him is that he puts the race thing to bed. The only thing thing I did not approve about this entire election was the race issue that surfaced the entire time. Congrats Obama! Make us proud:)

Edit: I would like to reiterate that he is not black, he is our first mixed race president which is a huge milestone in American history and is another huge step towards equality.

13. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I agree 1000% and that is a well written post. Huge Milestone on a long road! thanks 1969.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    This needs to remain civil. Name calling will not be tolerated.

15. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

The 15th amendment was ratified in 1870 and stated that "voting rights cannot be denied or abridged based on "race, color, or previous condition of servitude". There isn't a black person alive of legal voting age that was ever denied the right to vote in the US. That was nearly 140 years ago. In fact women weren't guaranteed the right to vote until 50 years later (by the 19th amendment).

This wasn't the first time blacks were allowed to vote, nor has it been proven to be historic. Only time will tell what Obama's legacy will be. And while Obama is half black that isn't relevant to my earlier response. I'm not bothered by his skin color nor would my decision to vote for or against him or anyone else be influenced by skin color. What is relevant is that he was elected to the most powerful office on the planet. Anytime this happens it is historic. It will directly affect the entire planet.

I think you missed the main point altogether. The point isn't about his color, or the number of African American's that voted. I believe that a qualified person is the right choice for the oval office based on their qualifications and not their sex, color or religion etc.

America is a melting pot. Many people express great pride in that but the media and the entertainment industries act like we are supposed to keep the carrots and the peas on opposite sides of said melting pot. We are all Americans, Americans first. Skin color or sex doesn’t change the fact that we are Americans. Once everyone is ready to be American and not African American or Irish American or Chinese American then we will truly flourish! Set aside the strange need to squable over ethnic differences and focus on the one uniting fact that we are all Americans.

P.S. - I'm not overly fond of being called a bigot. I'm not into the whole name calling game, nor am I actually a bigot. Keep in mind that on January 20, 2009 I will proudly be supporting the new commander in chief who just so happens to be half African American. I didn’t vote for him, but I’ll always support him!

16. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

Thank you, Slagle! I wholeheartedly agree with you. The fact that so many people think it's a historic election because of the genetics of the participants rather than the participants themselves underscore the fact that they don't view people, as they ought, "by the content of their character" rather than "the colour of their skin".

Three cheers for Americans of whatever colour, gender, and, heck, with freckles or without!

17. JayKay

Well, despite what the constituation said in the 1800's they weren't aloud to vote back than. They werent largely aloud to vote untill after the civil rights movement and even than it took many years for them to be aloud at the poles without being harassed.

I'm not supprised Obama won though. And congrates to him. I sure voted for him.

Although I dont know if either of them would be/are ready to be president. But a change of pace will be nice none the less.

18. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

It's in the Democrats hands now. Here's to hoping for a brighter future for our country.

19. JayKay

Suprisingly, Obama didnt do too bad in texas.

20. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Congratulations President elect Obama!! :cool: :happy096:signs107

Damn respectable campaign and here's to a bright new day on Earth. :eatdrink047