Why do some shaving tutorials argue to do the opposite of "riding the cap"

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by SlaveShaver, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelheart1948

steelheart1948 New Member

Shallow angle, steep angle. There isn't one right way to shave. Through trial and error, you determine what works best for you.

RetLEO-07 and Redfisher like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Pretty much what I was going to say!

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

There's a wrong way, however. If your skin is oozing blood, it wasn't right. :)
    Oh, yes. Don't use Sweeny Todd as an instruction manual.

BigMark83, Bama Samurai and RetLEO-07 like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097:

BigMark83 and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I got excellent shaves using the old method (more "scrapey" for want of a better word). The only issue I had was occasional irritation from the shave, often I was uncomfortable for 30 minutes to an hour after the shave but my skin recovered nicely after that. When I tried the "cap riding" method, I discovered that I was able to get the same quality of shave with much less irritation. I was also able to get a better shave that I have ever gotten with a mild razor. In addition, it appears early on that I am getting more shaves out of my blades than in the past. (This seems to be the case so far, We shall see if it is borne out over the long run) Maybe it works for you and maybe it doesn't. Maybe you don't want or need to make any adjustments because your shaves are perfect. (I doubt it, we all tend to be tinkerers, but maybe you're the one.) All I'm saying is, it's worth a try. I've been at this a while and it made a difference for me.

barbersurgeon and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I would say it depends on the razor a certain extent. Use the wrong angle on a FaTip and tell me angle doesn't matter. But then again all the ones I've ever used had wavy blades.

barbersurgeon and Linuxguile like this.
  7. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Fathers actually taught sons to shave don't get me started.....

8. Bookworm

A guy working at Tandy Leather the other day said that his father handed him a straight razor and told him that he needed to start shaving. I doubt he's more than 55.

Marine68 likes this.
  9. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Sink or swim ..... Trial by fire LOL

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The straight razor was all there was until about 1900. All the beards in old photos make more sense now?

barbersurgeon likes this.
  11. Bookworm

Possibly more that the muttonchops, goatee, and mustache look makes much more sense? You can trim the hair in those 'hard to shave' areas, rather than risk the wavy 'sharp thingie' pretending to be a razor?

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

"Forms of beards"

Learned SR yet?

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's what my dad did indeed. Not with a straight though ;)

Marine68 likes this.
  14. Bookworm

No, but it's time constraints more than anything. I have some good ones that @DaltonGang honed up for me.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've always found a steep angle sounds like it's ripping the hair, but it's all noise and no action. I like finding my angle exactly opposite, set the top against my cheek, then tip it down until I feel the blade.

wchnu and Bama Samurai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.