Tutorial Clean & De-Stink your shaving brushes

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Neolithium, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Why on earth would they not allow the sale of Borax to a private person?

2. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

It's Sweden. Fill in your own explanation. :)

Tobin Fetters likes this.
  3. dragonhf

dragonhf Member

I don´t know, I didn´t knew what borax was, so I googled it and read about it. Here in Sweden there is a lot of strange rules. :)

Douglas Carey and Lexicon Devil like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just like here in New Jersey!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info. I have several brushes with silver tip bagger and one synthetic. I clean them with Dove dIsh soap. I soak them for about a half hour in hot water. I then rInse and dry them on a clean dry towel. It seems to work well and there is no smell of new or any other funk. Your process seems to work very good.

6. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

I'm kinda late to this thread, but I have never seen the necessity to clean my brushes, be they boar, badger, horse or synthetic. Yes, I have tried the Oxi-Clean treatment, per the fellow at Whipped Dog on new badger knots I've installed. Most new natural hair brushes have some kind of odor, but it goes away quickly with use. I rinse my brushes after each use. I have never had a brush mildew, mold or "funkify" in any way shape or form, regardless of where I store it after rinsing and shaking and toweling dry -- bristles up or down, inside my cabinets or outside. The only brush I ever had that in any way seemed dirty when I got it was a recently acquired brand new monster Vulfix super badger with a 30-some mm knot that put out some brown coloring in the first couple of soap-ups and rinses. So what am I missing? Anybody else out there that has the almost total lack of the problems reported here?

7. Tobin Fetters

Tobin Fetters Member

Thanks Neo! Can't wait to try this

8. Tobin Fetters

Tobin Fetters Member

Yeah I've still never had to clean one. But I know that borax is a great for a lot of things.

9. SlowRoller47

SlowRoller47 Active Member

Hold my beer. Beeing from Belgium we know a thing or two about fries. Taste is a different thing but the real deal is always with mayo...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GM1913 met Tapatalk

10. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've never felt or seen a need to clean a brush. After all, I am using soap and rinsing the offending human particles post use.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Interesting thread. I do occasionally clean my brushes. Yes, we use "soap" on them everyday, but that soap contains a lot of fat---animal or otherwise. Rinsing is good, of course, but we all know that oil and water do not mix. Therefore, fat will eventually build up in the knot. My cleaning method is 5 parts water to 1 part white vinegar (a very mild solution). Thorough soak/mild agitation/thorough rinse. Basta.