Cleanin' yer DEs the smart way

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by moviemaniac, Mar 30, 2007.

1. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

The one in my earlier link is 35 watts and 60kHz. Digitally controlled with selectable cleaning times. Tank capacity is deep enough to handle a folded pair of glasses and wide enough to fit a CD. Half the price of what you suggest, and it cleans up whatever fits in it. Unless I need to clean larger objects or use it on a production scale, I don't see a need to spend twice as much for one.

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Good to know it works perfectly for you.

But, you know, when one has to post a list of guidelines you have to make a decision somewhere and if I would post the technical specs and the price of your product as a suggestion then chances are high that one buys a product of these specs and it doesn't work. There's always an exception from the rule and you seem to have found one - but an exception it is nonetheless ;)

3. Labarum

Labarum New Member

Why not just put it in the dishwasher?

I dont know if I would do it to an adjustable, but a two or three piece is fine. My Merkur HQ is rather more sturdy than any kitchen utensil I put in there.

4. C utz

C utz New Member

That reminds me... If you need to 'justify' the purchase to the 'better half', just tell her she could also use the sonicator to clean her jewlery as well! It's a win-win situation...and you don't know why you did not purchase one sooner!!! :D

C utz

5. minderasr

minderasr Member

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

7. minderasr

minderasr Member

From the listing...

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

well, that doesn't exactly give you the right to retur it if you're not satisfied...

It's your choice.

9. fritz

fritz New Member

A dishwasher is probably OK for getting the outside nice and shiny. It will probably get rid of the soap scum. The big problem (for some of us) is hard-water lime deposits, which really accumulate inside the hollow handles of razors like the Vision, Futur, and Progress, and which eventually can lock them up. Even your 2-piece HD can have this problem. Just unscrew the top piece, and pull out firmly on the bottom knob to remove it.

Of course, if you have soft water, no problem...

The biggest problem is probably the Vision "2007" or the latest revision of the Vision. It can't be taken apart (non-destructively) to clean the lime deposits from individual parts. For this, soaking in very hot (not quite boiling) vinegar for a few hours usually works, but an ultrasonic cleaner is really the best, quickest, and easiest.

10. fritz

fritz New Member

I guess if it doesn't clean your razor (and the ebay description mentions those) then "the item is not functioning properly" and so we return it.:rolleyes:

The biggest club is from PayPal and ebay, of course, if the item is just a real dud.

Well, I bit the bullet. It is scheduled to arrive Thursday; I'll let you know. This has 60 watts and 1.4 l capacity. I know you recommend minimum 60 watts/l. I'm figuring that 0.75 liter is plenty to cover my razors, so that gives me 80 watts/l in use, not so?

11. minderasr

minderasr Member

Well my new cleaner arrived today. Excitedly I unpacked it, filled with water, dropped a 1930s Gillette New into the vat, plugged it in, and nothing. No lights, no change when pressing buttons, nothing.

So I fired off an email to the seller. He responded almost immediately, apologizing and said he'd send off another unit immediately.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Not a very good way to start. :(

13. fritz

fritz New Member

Would you please delay shipping that one back to him until I get mine Thursday?;) Thanks!

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

sorry to hear that, Jim, I hope the replacement unit will satisfy you

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Ready to sell your's Klaus? :D

16. minderasr

minderasr Member

Oddly enough, he made no mention of returning the defective unit. Maybe this is not the first instance of a dead unit being sold? Perhaps a tad more research into this purchase may have been prudent. Googling the unit (hoping to find reviews) turned up nothing. I guess we'll see what happens when the second unit arrives.

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Nope :D

18. fritz

fritz New Member

What he may have in mind is that the new unit will have a return UPS label enclosed, so you can just stick it on the box and drop it at UPS.

OR, he may have bought a close-out lot "as-is" and is just going to have to eat the loss from any defects. In that case, there's no sense for him to want it back. If you're like me, keep it for spare parts!

Mine is due this afternoon. I'll post later...news at 11:00.;)

19. minderasr

minderasr Member

Mine arrived today. No return packing slip. So I guess I have some spare parts. Works perfectly, I'm cleaning some jewelry as we speak/type/read.

:D

On another note, what would be a good "additive" to use for cleaning crusty safety razors?

20. fritz

fritz New Member

And I got mine this afternoon, too. Seems to work just fine, I've put about 90 minutes on it already. Rings, wife's jewelery, and some razors. Used vinegar with the razors. Was astounded at the amount of sludge on the bottom when I finished!

Caution: Even though the instructions say that using the plastic basket takes up 30% of the ultrasonic energy, don't put thinly-plated things (like razors) directly on the metal pan. I tried this with an old razor, and it definitely beat off the plating where the razor touched the metal pan.