Wilkinson Sticky

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cvac, Nov 6, 2008.

1. cvac

cvac Member

What is so special about the razor, and why aren't they as easy to find as vintage Gillette razors?

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

It seems there are far fewer around than most razors. There are some Gillettes that are equally rare, and more valuable. There are also wilkinson razors that are not rare, and seem to be virtually worthless. As for what is special about it, I can't say from experience, but they have an interesting plastic that is tacky (hence the sticky name) and are supposedly very well balanced.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

They are very well designed and well balanced razors, and like Rodd said above, the grip is made from a material that gets sticky when wet. I think they were only produced in England for a short time which may explain their relative rarity. They do give great shaves.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

They are made from unobtanium.

Much like the Fatboys with knobs at the bottom, a fable beast that probably shaves no better then a Merkur.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

But than again, merkurs shave pretty well.

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I had the pleasure of using one once.

Don't search it out if you're thinking it's a awesome shaver. It's not horrible, but nothing special either. IMHO, this razor is more about having something the other guy doesn't.

7. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

I think I still hold the record for money spent on a Sticky:ashamed001 I got one that was mint but had a cracked case:mad: The man to ask about the Sticky is Richard/ Rustyblade from SMF, he had at least three at one point, including an American market version that was slightly different from the English version.
    As for what makes it worth so much it's strictly a rarity thing, nothing more. It is a great shaver, very solid and well made, much heavier than you would think from looking at it and with a greater blade exposure/ flatter blade angle than most razors. It can be a little finnicky when it comes to choice of blade, but I don't have any other complaints.
    I'm pretty much a 100% straight razor user most of the time, but I'll never get rid of my Sticky.

8. cvac

cvac Member

The design of it looks pretty interesting / cool. Too bad they are so rare / expensive.

9. blackstangal

blackstangal Member

+1 BUT I SURE WOULD LIKE ONE IN MY COLLECTION!:D

10. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

The sellers who know what they have can expect to get a lot, but if you look hard enough, and you don't want the case or the booklet that comes with it you can find them quite cheap. I can remember three in the past year, two of which were in bulk lots, that went through very cheaply. One of those, that looked bad but was entirely salvageable, sold for less than a pack of DE blades before postage.

11. barbarosa

barbarosa New Member

They are rare, shave well and look cool. I guess, that's good enough for a high price. I had one and sold it. Now, I regret it.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's a collector's item. I have not heard of them giving better shaves than the average decent Gillette or Merkur. Same with the Gillette razors in my wish list. Collector's items and I'm not in a hurry to get any of them.

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I like mine and really should use it more often. In all honesty if you're looking for something that shaves similiar a Schick Krona is very close in feel for me, just not as blingy and can be had for less than $10.00 in abundance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Geez, Chris! Not just a perfect razor, but pristine box and instructions?!! :happy102

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That was one of my better scores. I threw up a "what the hell" bid and won. I was shocked. Lately I'm like 1 for 30 on auctions so it all comes around.