September 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2017.

?

Which SE will you be using this month?

1. Schick Injector

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Pal Injector

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage Gem of some sort

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. Mongoose

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Shavette

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Artist Club

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. Traditional Straight

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Fooled you - no SE here!

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. Cookies. Either let me have some or let me out.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

So happy you enjoy Bourbon Jungle

2. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Enjoy your time with your son!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Mark. I have CRSW Select on my list of soaps to try next year.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Great recap Jason. Like you I am looking forward to breaking out some OC razors.

Great photo Perry.

Excellent recap of the month.

Great photo Jared. The razor looks fantastic. I hope your schedule improves soon.

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

That's an understatement!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Hopefully you can get some relief soon! That has to be miserable....

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. I got lots of rest today.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support. It comes and goes, mostly. The worst is usually early in the morning when any overnight pain medication has worn off and I've managed to sleep the wrong way for a while.

8. mrchick

It was so nice to be able to have a nice leisurely shave at home with some of my favorite gear thus afternoon.
    SRD Strop
    Mike’s Natural Soap
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Art Razor Pegasus Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Vintage Old Spice Lime After Shave
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for being a nice source of entertainment while sitting in airports yesterday. My day isn’t complete without checking in with you guys.
    [​IMG]

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I hope the doctor finds quick solution and frees you from the pain.

10. SharptoothC

I kinda feel your pain. I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago. I'm starting to feel the same pain again. Nights are the worst.

11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Thank you both.

12. SharptoothC

Hope it gets to feeling much better in short order.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Taking inspiration from Clint @clint64, I gathered my every-other-day shaves into one photo.
    SEptember 2017.gif

14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Fantastic, Rick!

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Smells like the Drug Store SEptember!!!! (Stirling Booster)

September 30
    Razor - Gem 1912
    Blade - gem-stainless-steel-ptfe.jpg (5)
    Soap - Stirling Electric Sheep
    Brush - 30 DC LE
    Post - Alum

Well, here we are on the last day of SEptember. This month went by way too fast. And to finish it up, I used the Gem 1912 with the same Teflon blade I used in it all month. I think it's a total of 5 shaves. May be 6. But the blade is still in great shape and giving fine shaves. The LE brush and Electric Sheep get to finish the month out with a fantastic muttony lather and two passes with just a minor bit of touch up is close enough to BBS to call it that. Very fine finish to the month. I whipped the alum out to check the shave and found it very nice with just a few hot spots. Awesome.

I really had some fun this month with my SE's, such as they are. I will say that my Schick M2 probably gave some of the finest shaves I've had in a long time. I was quite impressed and had to pat myself on the back for being so smart 40 years ago or more to choose that as my first razor.

Thanks for a great month again everyone! We more than doubled our post total from last year and you guys keep making this an amazing place to hang out!! See you over on the OCtober thread.

September 30.jpg

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

17. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

30 SEptember
    Last Shave of SEptember

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
    Brush: 24mm Silvertip Frank Shaving (FS)
    Soap: Tobacco, Dirty Deeds
    Razor: 1912, GEM
    Blade: Treet (16) w/ shim
    Post-Shave: Cold Water rinse, OSMA Alum block and Oland After Shave, Avon, Pheasant Decanter
    Photo:
    SOTD 30 Sep 2017.jpg

Well it's the last shave of SEptember and the last shave with this blade. I have learned a lot this month from my shaves. First, I learned that I can get about 16 shaves from the treet blade. Now I know that 16 shaves is not a great number. Heck I have seen some say that they can get 20 shaves from a blade. For me though it is a bench mark, something to shot for. Second, I learned the proper angle on the early GEM Brooklyn 1912. That I can get a DFS-BBS shave out of it. Third, the shave angle for the early Brooklyn and the 1912 I used today are very different. Both are capable of DFS with out to much trouble.

This was the set up I wanted to do yesterday but grabbed the wrong tub of soap. The Dirty Deeds Tobacco paired well with the Avon Oland. I ordered my Wife some soap from Stirling bath soap. When I did I also picked my self up a block of Alum. I have never tried Alum and across the street some people use them all the time. So I figured I would give it a try. All in all it was a good shave.

Tomorrow starts OC October. I only have two OC razors, a GEM OCMM and a Valet Autostrop. I'm planning on using the Valet mostly to see if using the strop will extend the useful life of a modern carbon blade.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  18. SharptoothC

All of the items pictured played a roll in today's shave. They were all part of this week's haul. I used each razor pictured for one pass, for various reasons.

Pacific DE Razor, loaded with one of the supplies Pacific blades:
    This is the one several guys have mentioned. I finally scored one at Big Lots, not Dollar Tree. Had to pay $1.50 instead of $1, but hey, what's an extra $.50 to fit in? Long story short? The razor looks and feels cheap. I don't think it will be an heirloom. But it will serve as a decent travel razor when I don't want to carry a vintage razor. The blade? It will shave. Not that I would replace them. Or even try for multiple shaves with one. But it got the first pass to test it, and I was surprised to get some decent blade reduction.

GEM Featherweight got pass two. It's pretty mild as GEMs go.

The Edwin Jagger got cleanup duty. This one has proven to be a great pickup. It's one I wouldn't have tried at its regular price, but at $15 in an antique store, I'm happy to have it.

Wild West Shave Co. Outlaw:
    I picked this up after hearing some buzz about it on another forum. He is a new maker out of Oklahoma. The soaps are offered in a 2oz. tub shipped for under $10. Off the bat, the packaging is my least favorite part of the soap. It's a small tub and the labels are not waterproof. While I like the idea of a 2oz tub at a lower price, the small size of the container seems an oversight. It is very difficult to load the brush out of it, so I took the advice of some others and did the scoop, smear and bowl lather thing. I totally ruined the first lather. Turns out this soap doesn't like a lot of water. So I pinched the bristles on my brush, loaded as best as I could off the puck, and face lathered. This time I got a very nice, rich, slick lather. Soap scent is fairly strong. The scent is supposed to be gunpowder, leather and burnt honey. I'm not sure I got all of that. I found the scent quite pleasant, though. The whole time I was shaving I kept thinking it reminded me of something. It finally hit me that it somehow reminded of Barrister and Mann's Petrichor. Overall, I really like the soap itself, but the packaging needs an upgrade before I would want to buy more.

Barbasol Pacific Rush:
    $.80, and a sure-fire win. Love the stuff.[​IMG]

19. mrchick

I hope things improve soon John.

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Thanks Kathleen, that's the plan!:)