I want to buy a flashlight

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Lyrt, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Blades

Blades New Member

Maglight isn't a lousy light, I have 3 or 4 of them(D cell's) and a few AA lights. I carried a AAA mini-Maglight while I was in the Air Force, but there comes a time when you realize that you could be doing better.
    Like when you start wet shaving. :)
    Nice choice in your Surefire. It will carry great in your pocket or your EDC bag. Enjoy!

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

resistance is futile :D

3. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Damn Borgs

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thanks. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I was looking at Fenix and JetBeam, but then I remembered the REI gift certificate and the only good brand they carry is Surefire. So as long as I had no choice, I had to settle for the best. :)

I do have a question though...Why would anyone want to carry a flashlight around with them? Unless it's a job requirement or something. I don't even like to carry change in my pocket! Over on CPF, they constantly discuss EDC'ing a flashlight and I just don't get it.

I don't recall ever wishing I had a flashlight in my pocket (except when camping which I don't often do any more). If I need a light at home, I know where they are. If I need one in the car, got that covered too. Walking the dog? Streetlights.

So what's up with this carry thing? I just thought it was a cool light. :D

5. Blades

Blades New Member

I started carrying a light after being in a store bathroom and someone turned the lights out. I don't know if you have every tried to complete your business in the dark, but it isn't fun. The second time that happened I had a small Photon on my keychain. I have been in 3 stores during storms when the lights went out. Once I had no light, the other two times I had my light and was able to find my wife. It is interesting to walk by people and see them standing there in the dark, looking lost.
    Plus I like to be prepared. Do I need to carry 5 lights or 6 pocket knives?? No.
    Some of what I carry is just for fun, some is for "in case of emergency", and the rest is what I use on a day to day basis.
    I imagine the people who were stuck on the subway when New York lost power were wishing they had a light. Now days everyone uses there cell phone for a light, so that is better then nothing. But since I don't carry a cell phone I'll carry a light instead. :)

Jason

6. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Walking the dog around my street/woods...need a light.

Yesterday, we went to the big playground (Jonathan's Dream) at the JCC out in West Hartford. Didn't get there until 3 or so. By the time we left, it was getting pretty dim (if not dark) out. A guy dropped his car key inside one of th big climb-on toys. Could he have found it eventually without a light? Sure. It was much easier when I showed up (not to mention, I got to hear my favorite question in the world "Anyone have a flashlight?") I had a Lummi Ti Raw in my coin pocket of my jeans. As if it's not there until I need it, then has a 160 lumen output when neccesary, or 25 (I think) for a more reasonable amount of might (all that was needed yesterday). http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Raw_Ti.html

They are great lights, I own three Lummis now.

7. Blades

Blades New Member

The Lummis is a very nice little light. One of these days...

I was in sunday school one sunday, and our teacher asked "Does anyone have a flashlight?", and of course I had my lights. Yeah I know, teacher's pet. :)

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

18x45mm?! That's not a flashlight, that's a match!! Albeit an expensive and powerful match. Looks cool though...too bad it's not made of aluminum...maybe I could afford one then. :) I probably would consider "lugging" something that small around - though I'd be afraid I'd lose it since it's no larger than that guy's key!

9. Blades

Blades New Member

They do make some less expensive lights, here's one:
    http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Raw_NS.html

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

11. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

These are pretty amazing! Not cheap, but...........WOW!!

Attached Files:

12. Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

Here I was, minding my own business, and this flashlight thread pops up. I've been following the posts for a while now, and will be buying one tomorrow.........sheeeeeeesh again.

No, I didn't go totally nuts looking into em, but I did spend some time before deciding on a Fenix Ld2. It'll be a gift for someone who spends time outdoors a bit, plus I think he'll like how the thing looks......heh. Actually, I wouldn't mind one for myself.

I wanted to thank the members who posted all the helpful stuff....made it easier for me. Yeah, thanks for bringing to my attention an item I had no idea I'd even want. Heh, about those flashlight forums.........well, to each his own. Shaving forums gotta be even goofier..........
    Martin

13. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Oh, they make one out of aluminum! Enabler,...yeah, I've been called worse.

Oh,. and that even smaller light, called the WEE, has a few user-changeable light sources that offer up to a really inane amount of pretty floody light, albeit for very sghort runtimes at the high levels. It puts out almost no "spot" at all, but can light a room pretty nicely. I used to wear one on a chain around my neck, but now have an even smaller (and dimmer with longer runtimes) light made by another guy on the flashlight forums.
    yeah, it's a touch insane. But so are custom straight razors, and I just got officially into them this morning.

14. Blades

Blades New Member

One trick for D cell Mag Lights, if you want to improve the output. It does reduce bulb life, but it is alot brighter output:
    If it is a 3 D cell light, get 4 C batteries; take the spring in the bottom of the Mag light, remove spare bulb, flip spring over and reinstall in bottom of light.
    Now install 4 C batteries, put back together, and you'll have a brighter light.
    Sometimes they are a little harder to close, but it should close.
    I tried to do it on a 2 D cell light, but it wouldn't close, but 3, 4 and 5 D lights-- I haven't had any problem adding an extra C battery to them. And since I have a few boxes of C batteries....

15. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

maaaaaaaan....must....resist.....

16. Aneurysm

Aneurysm New Member

I am pretty happy with nitecore flashlights

http://www.nitecore.com

I use the EZ AA as an everyday carry on and have been very happy with it

17. Blades

Blades New Member

You know what they say: When there is a 60% chance of rain, you'll carry an umbrella, there is a 99.9999999% chance of it getting dark, why not carry a flashlight??

Jason

18. Uncle Chewbacca

Uncle Chewbacca New Member

Check out Costco, they always have deals. Any after you're done throwing it down a mountain, running it over with your car and dropping it in an Abyss, you can return it and get your money back. (I don't condone it, but just saying)

19. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

alrighty, after changing banks, I still had some money left in the old bank that wasn't budgeted for anything particular, was going to throw it at some other debt, or have an evening out with the wife or something, but then I was walking through Lowe's and something caught my eye....

[​IMG]

man, that sucker will throw some light!
    Surefire G2L - ain't cheap, but wow what a light!

I'll miss that chunk of change (though I still have enough to take the wife out for a nice meal), but I'm very pleased with it. Ain't no snake gonna surprise me now when I take the dogs out at night - heck, it may even blind the suckers, it'll light the tree tops 35 yards away easy.

20. djwurm

djwurm New Member

mine lights up treetops at 200 yards + easy..

not that I am trying to one up you or anything. :D

Actually those shurefire G2L's are good lights to throw in a bag or just to carry around daily. My Dad has one and if I found a good deal on one I would definitely buy it.