Shaving is genuinely ruining my life!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by RIPmyLife, Oct 17, 2017.

1. RIPmyLife

RIPmyLife New Member

Hello,

I've had this problem for years now, and it is ruining my life!

I've tried many things, from different razors to different shaving gels/creams/foams and moisturisers and Bump Stopper 2 etc. etc. - nothing seems to work. I've tried standard razors, electric shavers and also a straight razor for a time (Though I stopped using it shortly after starting, I forget exactly why now but I think it was also giving me irritation).

This is how my neck currently looks after using a Phillips AquaTouch yesterday:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] If these don't work as hinted at by the preview, they can be viewed on imgur: /a/mbCgj (Account isn't old enough to post links)

It has got to a point where I now get anxiety in public due to it, and worst of all I have loads of job interviews coming over the next couple of months - RIP looking professional!

I'd be immensely thankful for any advice on how to go forward. I'm also happy to post updates here if it will help others.

Jim99, Keithmax, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @RIPmyLife. I do expect the members here can lend some helpful advice. There's a group of New Shavers learning how to use their Vintage gear, and Vintage Shavers trying out New gear. Check out The 30 Day Rule/Focus group ( link in my signature below). It's a bunch of folks trying to improve their shaving results on a daily basis. A no pressure environment where you can ask question, post photos, and get opinions, advice, even actual information from shavers that have seen and used most every type of razor and blade combo, soaps you might like to know about, brushes from cheap to extravagant, and post shave products that will help calm your razor burn and bumps.
    You might also visit The Newbie Giveaway for a shot at some spending credit for great products. Read the rule to be sure you qualify.

9nein9, Jim99, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: Consider joining the 30 Day Rule/Focus group, and I believe you'll see significant results in short order. All you need is a simple set up consisting of 1 razor, 1 brush, 1 soap or cream, (or just use the canned shaving cream to start if that's what you have), 1 brand of blade, and a (preferably moisturing and healing) aftershave. Stick with the same set up for at least a month. Believe it or not, your set up matters much less than your technique. You don't need to spend money to get started. You can use what you already have for now. Just drop by, say hello, join in, ask questions, and everyone will be glad to help. And of course, there are also the cookies, shenanigans, and general Tom Foolery to keep things interesting. Our fearless leader is @NCoxSTL. He won't bite anything except a cookie. Don't let him sell you anything, though. :)

Welcome to The Shave Den, @RIPmyLife! I'm very glad you found us!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    9nein9, Jim99, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

This may sound goofy, but try a woman's "Venus" razor. A friend gave me one a long time ago, and I used it for *years* before tossing it when I joined this group. It's a gentle, multi-blade (three, I think) cartridge type. Ask some of your female friends & try to borrow one. Cheaper than buying it.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Many times it is technique that makes for a bad shave. Perhaps too much pressure on razor, but it could be many things such as: blades, soap, prep, etc. Hopefully you can narrow down what is causing the issue.

LOOT, LuvWetShavin and RyX like this.
  6. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den.
    :signs046:

LOOT and George X like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    LOOT, subvet, Jwar2007 and 2 others like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Two things: 1) welcome to the Den @RIPmyLife
    2) cold water shaving may be the answer to your problem

LOOT likes this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

There will allot of good advice, above and to come so I will just add one. I came to traditional shaving because of ingrown hairs and bumps. In the begining, I add PFB Vanish in addition to the soap, brush and DE razor. This helped allot and after a month I was to stop the PFB Vanish too.

9nein9 and LOOT like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Lots of good advice so far, so I'll just say: Welcome to TSD!

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den! You'll get lots of advice and answers here. It looks as though you've already received some good advice already. The 30 day focus group here is a good place to start.

12. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I can't see the pictures but I'm going to go out on a limb. Try a Synthetic brush, an unscented shaving soap, a mild razor such as a Tech or MJ90, and a blade sampler pack. A good balm may also help such as Speick. I don't even use aftershave because they tend to cause me to break out in pimples. I have very sensitive skin myself. I can't use products high in Shea Butter either. Good luck, stick with what works, even though may take awhile, and welcome to TSD. I recommend a mild razor and a sharp blade, and even though I suggested an unscented soap, Cella is excellent.

LOOT and Jim99 like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@RIPmyLife , when you say you have tried a “standard razor” do you mean a multi-blade cartridge razor, a double-edge safety razor, or something else I haven’t thought of? If we know what you are currently using, we may be able to suggest alternatives.

LOOT and George X like this.
  14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shave Den. Great advice above. Technique is very important. Create a good lather with a good soap or cream, Even after a shower, Soak face with hot or even cold water with a washcloth, hydration of the beard is important, lather face, begin shave WTG place DE razor horizontal to floor gradually angling razor downward till you hear or feel the razor cut the bears little or no pressure (about 30 deg), let the weight of the razor do the work, after you have done first pass , re-lather and shave across the grain (XTG) using the same method. Try to keep razor at the same ange as you shave, don't hurry, your hand will gain memory after a number of shaves rinse, dry , after shave. There will be more good advice following ,
    Good luck Denis
    P.S. If using a Vintage SE razor like a Gem Micromatic or a Gem/ Ever Ready 1912, lay head agenst face, tilt a little and begin stroke.

LOOT likes this.
  15. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

When I (many of us here) started shaving there were very few products available; one each of a Schick, Gillette and GEM with a single blade option for each as a rule and just as limited supply of software. We had to learn by trial and error but, for me, a single WTG pass using "Brushless Shaving" goop in a tube and some Old Spice worked and I used that method for decades ( I don't recommend goop in a tube, there are far better options today). I never heard of multiple passes in different directions until I had been shaving for over 50 years, I don't do it nor recommend it! While I agree with the quality of vintage razors and their relative lower cost an I have a few, I use a Dorco Pace 4 to get the best shave with a one pass WTG approach, you might consider a Mach 3 or similar.

LOOT likes this.