SoS: October 16, 2017 - October 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Steve.

clint64 likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I had the same problem when using mine the first couple of times. Now I just use it on beards with some days growth and it works great that way by taking it with short strokes.

3. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I definitely can see this razor mowing some serious growth!

4. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug. One thing I like about this scuttle is that it is big enough so that I can typically float a tub of soap in hot water in it to dry bloom. It softens the soap a bit and warms the ceramic, while giving off some of the fragrance.
    Steve

sdguero, RyX, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Heyyyy, n ice to see the Local Gent Balm...we both use Fields&Streams(but mine is the shavesoap).

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here's the Sunday plan:

prep-Nivea 4 Men Bodywash(Energy)in shower
    shave-Rise Super Foam
    razor-" A City Of Pivots"-by Gillette Sensor Deuce DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Rise Cooling Balm.*

*let's not forget the weird commercial controversy right on the tube.."NEW" (well, that's fine, but then we see below it...'"TRUSTED SINCE TE 50's). But I still like it :).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Primotenore, alfredus, PLAla and 19 others like this.
  7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Here's my setup for Sunday morning:

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Razorock Plissoft 26mm Monster
    Junjie/Astra day 7
    Palmolive Menthol SC
    Lucky Tiger AS Cream
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS Splash

Not overly frigid, but still nice and chilly!

8. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

Prep - Hot towel
    Pre shave - Prep
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ ( 3 )
    Blade – Gillette 7 O'clock S/P Black
    Brush - 'The Archduke' (Brad Sears Archduke 26/50 2-Band Manchurian)
    Soap – Van Yulay: Enter the Dragon
    Post - Cold water rinse / The Sudsy Soapery: Lavender & Peppermint Aftershave Splash

Van Yulay... another impeccable soap, provided a wonderful base for ‘The Rock’/Black Ninja combo... an effortless, and totally enjoyable shave. Due to time limitations, Mondays shave will be a cartridge shave, with Tallow+Steel: Rainforest, palm lathered with a basic, no name Boar brush, and finished off with Wholly Kaw: Cuero Oscuro Aftershave Toner ...

9. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Mike's Hungarian Lavender
    Paladin Chief Select
    Jaguar
    L&L Bandwagon Balm
    Le Male EDT

10. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

SOTD 10/21/2017 SHAVE-OFF
    LEFT SIDE OF FACE
    RAZOR: Micro Touch One - TTO DE and a good shaver
    BLADE: Astra Superior Platinum DE blade - 7th shave with this blade
    VERSUS
    RIGHT SIDE OF FACE
    RAZOR: Pacific Quality Stainless DE Razor (Handle)
    BLADE: Pacific Double Edge blade - 4th shave with this razor & blade

PREP for BOTH sides IS IDENTICAL
    PREP: hot water wash with Ivory Soap and rinse - followed by application of bloom water from Williams Mug
    PRE SHAVE: - Tri Coastal Design White Birch & Tobacco Shave Butter.
    SOAP: Williams Mug Shave Soap- face lather
    MUG: Vintage Old Spice Shave Mug
    BRUSH: Ever Ready 200T
    POST SHAVE: Clubman Jumbo Styptic Pencil - used to measure the aggressiveness of the shave.
    AFTER SHAVE: Clubman Citrus Musk
    BALM: NONE NEEDED
    Pacific_MicroTouch_One_Shave_Off.jpg
    I took the extra time this morning to complete my 1st shave-off experiment with 2 very similar razors.
    Used the $10 MicroTouch One on the left side (my dominant hand) and the $1 Pacific on the right.
    I am very familiar with the shave butter and shave soap used - both provide me with very good results.

MICROTOUCH ONE
    MicroTouch_One_Head.jpg
    The MICRO is a well made chrome plated brass TTO DE razor. My sample has flawless fit & finish.
    The geometry is a bit mild in terms of aggressiveness but it has a nice weight to it and is an excellent shaver.
    All 4 passes were smooth and quiet with very little feedback but excellent beard reduction.
    PACIFIC ($1 Dollar Tree) RAZOR
    Pacific_MicroTouch_One_Heads2.jpg
    This $1 razor is constructed of all metal (stainless steel?) with a bit more aggressive geometry than the Micro.
    My example is well put together and has good fit & finish, but is not flawless. It is a bit lighter than the Micro.
    Because it is lighter, I tend to apply more pressure when using it. And mostly get away with out incident.
    This razor also provides much more feedback, both blade feel and sound, when shaving.
    This time I got 2 very small weepers around my chin. Using my right hand on the right side of my face.
    I am left handed, but typically use both hands for my shaving tasks, including lathering. Not the razors fault.
    Beard reduction was on par with the MicroTouch One, but the Pacific razor was not as smooth feeling.
    Pacific_MicroTouch_One_heads.jpg
    OUTCOME: I achieved a very nice BBS shave on both sides of my face. Interesting that the LEFT side had more burn from the styptic.
    But I surmise that is because the Astra blade in the MICRO was on it's 7th shave.

The 4 passes were probably not needed, but I wanted to go XTG bot EAST- WEST & WEST-EAST.
    VERDICT
    The MicroTouch One is the winner of this shave off. Though I tend to like a more aggressive razor, I enjoyed the experience less with the Pacific razor.
    Yet, both sides of my face ended up with the dolphin smooth result.
    Could it be that the quality of the blades had a big impact?
    You decide.

Thanks for listening.

11. nikos.a

nikos.a Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Razorock Plissoft Monster
    • Cold River Soap Works Fougere Moderne
    • Rockwell 6s
    • Astra S. P.
    • Myrsol Emulsion

Tim Spencer, alfredus, PLAla and 19 others like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'll say it again Gabe, beautiful brush!

jimjo1031 and clint64 like this.
  13. Burak Kucukler

Burak Kucukler Well-Known Member

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod171022.JPG
    Sunday's SE Shave
    zcws.gif

Proraso Pre Shave
    Jeff's Soap Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #227
    Gem 1911 Lather Catcher
    Original Gem Cutlery SE
    CWR
    Thayer's Peach WH
    Pinaud Vanilla

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Jeff's Soap Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #227 synthetic brush. I did the two passes with the Gem 1911 Lather Catcher and vintage Gem Jr. blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. This vintage blade was honed by @twhite, and I am getting great shaves out of it. Thanks again, Tom. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Peach WH and then Pinaud Vanilla AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Great shave tonight. Ruined one patch on my neck a couple of days ago trying out my Rocket HD and had to miss a shave to let it heal.

20171021_211620_1508619235691_1508619541833.jpg

Soho Joe Original Face Wash
    Omega Pro49 Red
    Tabac!!!
    Gillette English Rocket TV Special
    Polsilver SI
    A little alum, and
    Proraso After shave balm

First try of Tabac. Excellent to face lather with the omega. Slick as anything. Does remind me of my grandad. Could use it every day I think.

16. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Supply Provision SE V2 (Matte Blk) & Schick Twin blade
    Maggard Granite 26mm
    TSE Cherry Bomb Soap
    Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla
    Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concierto A/S splash
    IMG_1762.JPG

Very fine shave with the Supply Provision SE and Schick Twin. A 2 pass plus touch ups DFS that left me smooth, clean and refreshed. 3rd day in a row with an injector type razor and blade. The Schick G gave an excellent shave 2 days straight, but the Supply was very close today with a 2 dot plate. Going to try the 3 dot for tomorrow and see if that amps up the efficiency. Have a great day and shaves Gents....... :happy036:

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette 1930's OC Ball End
    Blade: Personna Tungsten 74 (12)
    Brush: Elite Razor Gold Laced Black Onyx w/Tuxedo
    Soap: B&M Latha Oceana
    A/S: Myrsol Aqua Balsamic

An excellent week of shaving with these products. Either I got a BBS or very near BBS every day.

21 10 17.jpg

18. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 10.21.2017

Pre-shave: Black coffee and a hot shower
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, Synthetic
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel side can + Cremo Sandalwood Shave Cream
    Razor: Gillette Milady Decollete Open Comb, 3 piece razor(SN D767833 made in 1917)
    Blade: Derby (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stetson Cooling Moisture AS, Stetson Original Cologne

I acquired this Gillette razor in a travel case back in July during an out-of-town trip. I didn't know a lot about it initially, except that it cleaned up very nice and the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1917. I chose to pull it out and do a first shave with it. I was a little reluctant because it has a crack down the side of the handle, which makes it a bit loose so I had to go slowly. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant shave and the razor performed well in spite of the loose handle.

It wasn't until later when I did a little research on this razor, and an old type with a ball handle that I realized this "Milady Decollette" razor was marketed for women. And here I thought it was a little travel razor.... Oops! No wonder that handle is so petite! Well, if my wife can rifle through my side of the closet and wear my shirts whenever she wants, I think I should be able to use a razor marketed for women once in a while to express my feminine side.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! :cool:
    IMG_1459.JPG

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good looking case to boot. :happy096:

Dansco, sdguero and clint64 like this.
  20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

OCtober 21st SOTN
    Gillette NEW LC/ Polsilver
    30DC LE
    Prohibition Style SS