Straight razor honing

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jwar2007, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Usually Start with 2 Layers of Tape on a Wedge like that..That's Standard for Me..Why??..Because I Need the Correct Angle or Geometry to Set a Bevel Due to Almost Flat Geometry of Wedges on the Hone..I Usually Get Away with that as Kinda Standard..Some Times I Use 3 Layers to Cut & Set the Bevel & Use 2 Layers for the Progression..That Largely Depends on How True the Wedge is..;)

I have Never Gotten Away with One Layer of Tape on a Wedge or Near Wedge..Hone Wear or Not..:angelic007:

Billy..

Keithmax and George X like this.
  2. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Yep... I learned one is not enough. I will try 2 next and see what happens. That will be tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    When You Get it Right You Will Know..Its Like a Light Going On..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax and George X like this.
  4. George X

Not sure this shows the spine. They don’t look worn much to me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DaltonGang, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Its in Great Nick..I Will Be Surprized if that Doesn't Take a Even Bevel with 2 Layers of Tape..Those Types of Wedges are what I Call Light Grind Wedges & are as a Rule Very Easy to Hone..A Doddle..In Fact..Any Wedge without Hone Wear is a Doddle..A Gift from the Heavens..:D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Spyder, Keithmax and George X like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like the way it looks, as is. But, that's me. Just take your time and the edge will form, just don't force it. It takes a while, after you've ground as much away as you have.

Spyder, Billyfergie and George X like this.
  7. George X

Yeah I did break it down to nothing. Tomorrow is another day with this.

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If you've seen some of the razors that I have restored, and honed, you will see that I've been there, and done that, too many times. I bought an 800 grit stone, to help remove metal quicker, after I've ground off the pre-existing bevel. Some razors also have very hard steel, and it will take a while, even with a 1k stone.

Billyfergie and George X like this.
  9. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

It can take a while to get a bevel formed for sure. As a rule, in the beginning don’t rush it and don’t try to use force to get it into submission. I find it easiest if I limit how long I hone any one razor. If it is not there, set it aside and come back to it another day. I use a loupe to check my bevel set. With a good light source, look almost straight down on the apex. The appearance of sparkles or white lines indicate the the “V” is not yet formed to perfection, it means you have to keep going on the 1K. Once the bevel meets and forms that perfect apex you then watch the scratch patterns on the side of the bevel until they erase the previous ones. Some very light strokes at the end and then move up to the next hone. I am uncertain how the etiquette is on posting threads from other forums. There are some great threads with loupe pictures out there to help you learn. I have to say the very best threads and videos pale in comparison to attending a meet though. I believe there are often two meets a year in Denver. Glen is there for one for sure, maybe both.

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  10. George X

I put the stones away last night after I couldn’t get a good bevel set. I know it will take some time and patience and your advice to just come back another day is sound advice. I missed the Denver meet last February and was anticipating one where Glen was going to be in town over the summer but I missed seeing if it ever happened.

Billyfergie likes this.
  11. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Keep your eye on the meet and keep seeing what you can learn on your own about honing. I think there are others in your area you could reach out too.
    It is an acquired skill and one that has many subtle nuances and does take some time to get the hang of. Some pick it up a little faster, but that is true of all things in life, otherwise we would all be able to do everything.
    ;-)
    https://www.facebook.com/Bluesman-Blades-335430306824283/
    This guy is in Denver and is fairly active on Facebook and other forums and will be a good contact for up coming meets.

12. George X

There was a guy in Colorado Springs who had over 200 SRs listed on Craigslist. He had 3 Dubl Ducks and wanted 1 of them. I messaged the poster shortly after he posted them but it took 3 days for a response. When I got there and saw all the razors I inquired about the ducks. I was told That a guy near Denver beat me to a response. He was described as a guy who was getting into crafting his own SRs, I haven’t confirmed it but I think...it was Bluesman

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

There is another guy in the Denver area that has been working on making razors. Off the top of my head I can’t remember his name. I would describe Bluemans razor as refined and not just starting to craft them. He does an amazing thin grind, that only comes from making many many razors. He is very knowledgeable and would be a great contact.

14. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Has anyone honed a Bartmann Straight from Germany .I am setting the Bevel on a 5/8 ths .It is some hard steel .It is taking forever.I am using a 1 K Naniwa Chosera .I checked razor first to make sure it is straight with out any warping .Had to go to work .So I put in down until tomorrow .Any tips would be appreciated .I will keep rubbing the steel on the stone until it is set .This one is more work than some of my hard Japanese and Swedish Straights .:angry017:

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Billyfergie

Aye I have Honed a Few Bartmann Solingen Razors..I Never had an Issue with them..Some of the Earlier Ones or the Ones with the Heavier Spines Can be Harder Steel than Some Solingen Steel..If You Force them on the Hone You Wont Get Anywhere..Use Moderate Torque/Pressure & Use Plenty of Slurry to Cut the Bevel..Some of them Can Feel a Bit Slippery on the 1 K Chosera..Just Wee Nuisance's of a Particular Steel Probably..:eek:

They Can Feel Kinda Funny on the Hone Mind if You Haven't Honed One Before is All..Solingen Steel is Not All Like for Like..:happy088:

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Thanks Billy
    Its one of the earlier ones with a heavy spine .

Billyfergie likes this.