Which brush for Method Shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by murchmb, Nov 12, 2008.

1. murchmb

murchmb Member

Thinking about giving it a whirl, but don't want to buy a special brush. Which of my current brushes would be best for Method Shaving?

Shavemac 220
    Kent BK4
    2006 B&B Finest
    B&B Essential
    Simpsons Chubby 2 Best
    Simfix Chubby 2 Best
    Plisson #12 EW
    Shavemac SMF I
    AoS Pure

I was thinking the 2006 B&B Finest since isn't real dense and has some loft. The 220 might be good too, but it's pretty dense. Thoughts?

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Id say youre right on the money.

I have an S100 I use for "MS" and I would say it is comparable to the 2006 LE brush you have

Im sure others will chime in soon, but try that one and then the BK4

3. jls1963

jls1963 New Member

This is going to sound weird--but you don't need a brush. For (I think) $8 you can get a "shave cloth" from Charles and Jean at Enchanteonline. I'd been happily using my S100 for about a year before trying the shave cloth, and the brush hasn't been out of the cabinet since (~ 5 mos.). Trust me, the cloth and the indescribably superior Hydrolast products will bowl you over.
    Cheers,
    j

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I thought the cloth was just a way to get people to buy the rest of the products without spending a couple hundred dollars on the brush ontop of the products.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Hey Mike,

Either of the Chubby's will be good for method. What you are looking for is a good fan brush that will hold good amount of water. Chubby 2's meet those requirements.

Raf

6. jls1963

jls1963 New Member

It does work well as a cost-effective introduction, but I know several Method Shavers who are "all-cloth-all-the-time"--myself included. I think even Charles uses the cloth exclusively. Save a badger, save a bundle--get the shave cloth.

j